• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTs and Autism Spectrum disorders

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've heard a lot about the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders in those who are typed INT (or even so far as just IN).

What is this relationship? Is there a relationship at all, or are people within the autistic spectrum likely to appear INT?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
It seems to me that Autistic tendencies would be more prevalent in (or appearing as) IST types. The nature of the Autistic mind, to me at least, seems to be quite similar to an extreme use of Si.
I think that a lot of the supposed correlations between Autism and INTs came about due to the lack of popular understanding of Autistic processing. Many seem to have a notion of Autistic individuals being some sort of mysterious genius. While INTs may have some tendencies that are congruent to those of with a degree of Autism, I believe that in reality, the two are very different.

This taken from Wikipedia;
"- Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in a certain way.
- Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted.
- Ritualistic behavior involves the performance of daily activities the same way each time, such as an unvarying menu or dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.
- Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program."

To me this sounds very much like an extreme use of the processes of Si + Ti (In no particular order).

Autism is defined by the lack (or inability) of development in "social" areas past a certain point, usually very young in a child's life. INTs don't necessarily lack development in these areas, they just develop them in a manner quite different than most of society. As a result of this, the majority (A.K.A. "Normal") of the population erroneously assumes that because of the INT's often very unique social interaction skills, they lack them alltogether. Being that the mentality is; if something doesn't funtion in exactly the same manner that everything else does, it doesn't function at all.
Just my observation.

Fishfighter

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I've taken the Pie Palace AQ test and scored 39/50, and a score of 32/50 and over is said to be the threshold between an autism spectrum disorder and normal.

I guess there has to be some correlation between autism and certain MBTI types (the website that alicia's post links to lists INFJ, ISTJ, ISTP, INTP).

There is some info about this at this site. It talks about the autistic characteristics of 'systemizing' and 'lack of empathy.' Not sure exactly what this site is - MBTI, new age, ?? but take a look.

Autistic spectrum: Autism vs. Asperger Syndrome (AS). Personality type or disorder

I think it's an alternative medicine website, as it's called the "Alternative Encyclopedia".

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
As a result of this, the majority (A.K.A. "Normal") of the population erroneously assumes that because of the INT's often very unique social interaction skills, they lack them alltogether. Being that the mentality is; if something doesn't funtion in exactly the same manner that everything else does, it doesn't function at all.
Just my observation.

I suspected this. *sigh*

The INTs seem most likely to try to figure out what to do in a social situation while looking like they have no idea what's going on. They'll be processing, but it doesn't look like they are, and to some people, appearance is everything.

There is some info about this at this site. It talks about the autistic characteristics of 'systemizing' and 'lack of empathy.' Not sure exactly what this site is - MBTI, new age, ?? but take a look.

Autistic spectrum: Autism vs. Asperger Syndrome (AS). Personality type or disorder

I read that site. The only thing I could gather from it is that 'if you're unable to show empathy, 'normal' people decide that you have none at all,' (which sounds about right) but otherwise the whole argument seemed very disorganized and I could barely understand it.

I also think that they meant INTP, ISTJ, ISTP, and INFP, not INFJ, because they had already mentioned INFJ and no INFP and they'd mentioned 'introverted feeling' of the INFJ... and I have a feeling that's wrong.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Autism is also a communication disorder. Speech delays/idiosyncrasies are common if not indicative of autism spectrum disorders. The inability to pick up social expectations by simple observation is a big thing, too.

There is a kind of cluster of characteristics that a preponderance of sort of tips the balance toward an autism diagnosis, if that makes sense. So a lot of autistics will share certain traits, but will not all have the same cluster of traits. Autistics can be very different from one another.

I see this daily in my own two autistic sons. One, BTW is an extrovert of some kind. The other appears to be an IXTP.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
The archetypal HFA is an INTx, but I think they can be found in any T type. If autistics can be Feeling (as the article stated ISFJs could be), what the hell has autism become? I personally find autism to be a label people with dominant or auxiliary Fe put on people that they don't understand. I find very few diagnosed HFAs really think they have that much of a problem, they just think Fe isn't important enough to develop sufficiently to the FJ standard. I was diagnosed hyperlexic at age 2, while my ENFJ mom went nuts and adopted an almost apocalyptic tone about it, my INTP dad thought it was just a name for a set of problems that just happened to be thought of by society as something that made me "more wrong" than others.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think of it more as an interface issue than anything. Neither is more wrong or more right, but society is not going to change to accommodate my sons so they need help learning to interface with society. In order to get this help, the school system wants to label them 'autistic.' The label is the price of admission, so to speak, so we pay it.

pocket lint

MBTI Type
isxp
I suspect that I am autistic. I'm 50-50 with every trait, but I usually test as one of the IxxP types. My Fe is definitely the least developed though.

Autism is also a communication disorder. Speech delays/idiosyncrasies are common if not indicative of autism spectrum disorders. The inability to pick up social expectations by simple observation is a big thing, too.
I have extreme difficulty with writing and speaking because in my mind, there are no words to match up to my thoughts. There are usually only pictures or symbols that float around when I think...

Watch this video (skip to 5:50)... Dr. Temple Grandin links visual thinking to Autism:
[YOUTUBE=qjAmzeW0fPs]The Mind of a Visual Thinker: Photo-Realistic Images[/YOUTUBE]

Read this too. Can any of you relate to it?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I have extreme difficulty with writing and speaking because in my mind, there are no words to match up to my thoughts. There are usually only pictures or symbols that float around when I think...

Read this too. Can any of you relate to it?

Interesting article. I can very heavily relate to thinking in "pictures". I think in an odd sort of moving picture that incorporates all the details into it. I get quite frustrated when I know I have a superior idea, but I can put it into words. There are no words to describe it. Not only is a picture summoned, but I instantly know the past, present, and the future of the picture, and how the picture relates to other pictures similar to it. Pictures that I haven't even thought of yet. (I know this sounds strange)
Unlike the writer of this article my mental pictures/thoughts are not at all dependent on memory. I can generate associations with things I've never seen before.

What's also odd is that, while I'm not very skilled at math (or music), I can figure out averages (For numbers that aren't very complex) or an end gear ratio for a vehicle quite proficiently without doing any math in my head. I detach numbers from their specific values and concentrate on their significance in relativity to each other. Abstract mathematics (Oxymoron?) come easily to me, while concrete mathematics...not so much.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The pictures I think in are clumsy, like unfinished comic-book panels. However, whenever I make or do something, I always know that it's not quite right because it didn't match the panel, even though the damn panel wasn't clear in the first place.

When I think I need to express something in words, I'm immediately rehearsing what words I'm going to use in my head, trying to be as precise and clear as possible. I don't know if this is a leftover habit of me typing and writing too much, or if it's just normal behavior, though.

And this says nothing of synethesia. :p

I dunno... I have a very good semantic memory but a very bad episodic memory, like the trivia is squishing out all of the stuff that people 'reminisce' about and find 'really important' (trivia is more important?). It creates a lot of funny situations like I know that something's supposed to happen at 5:30, but I only have a vague idea of what it is even though I've done it before, and forgetting to put two and two together because not only is this a tidbit of information, it applies to the real world, too. It's not enough to know that something happens at 5:30, you must also be prepared for it and go there then... which I'll forget to do because it just doesn't really seem important until about two minutes before, and then I suddenly remember that aside from being interesting trivia, it's actually going to happen.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
:doh: I know this is slightly off topic but I finally realized why, after reading this thread, whenever my friends want me to explain something, I always get stuck and doesn't know how to explain it to them, it's not because I don't know or understand what's going on, I just realized it is because I think in flashes of pictures and short video clips. When I am trying to explain to them, I will tell them my thoughts in a non-linear way, and then they will go all :shock: huh? and finding the right specific word to explain my thoughts is so hard.

There are no words to describe it. Not only is a picture summoned, but I instantly know the past, present, and the future of the picture, and how the picture relates to other pictures similar to it. Pictures that I haven't even thought of yet. (I know this sounds strange)

I can slightly relate to this. A picture flashes in my mind and then I get hit by some sort of striking discovery, so other pictures (which I never see before) starts zooming into my brain randomly and then the picture branches out to the other images in a slip shot way. I don't exactly know how to explain it.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Hmm... I think a lot of people with Aspergers have the INTx type, though I've known some to be extroverted (an odd combination) and there are probably a fair amount of ISTs or INFs in the mix.

I have a fairly mild case of Aspergers and I'm an INTJ... though very strongly introverted.