User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who is more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTPs

42 38.53%
  • INTJs

67 61.47%
First 4567816 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ISTP is the most robotic type. You fail at life Zarathustra!

Enneagram
    4w5

My vote is INTJs

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Bruce Lee, the ISTP poster boy, calls himself a robot in this interview:

Q: I think you'd probably agree, Bruce, the thing that limited the appeal of Chinese films to Western audiences is that, it's very unusual to find a Chinese actor who can act. And when I say that, I mean acting Western style, in that manner that would make non-Chinese pay money to see them. Ahhh, you seem to have crossed that barrier. How do you think you achieved it? Do you think it has to do with your time in the United States? You studied there, didn't you?

Bruce: Oh, yes. It definitely has, you know. Because when I first arrived, you know, I did the Green Hornet, you know, television series, back in '65. And if I look around, Man, I mean, I saw a lot of human beings. As, (laughs), I look at myself, I was the only robot there, because I was not being myself, and I'm trying to accumulate external security, external technique, or the way to move an arm, but never to ask and say what Bruce Lee would have done, if there were, such a thing happened to me. When I look around, I always learn something: to be always yourself, and to express yourself, to have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate them. Now that seems to me that, that is the prevalent thing happening in Hong Kong. Like, they always copy mannerisms, but they never start a the root of being, and that is: how, you see, can I be me? (laughs) I mean, I never believed the word 'star'. That's an illusion, man. I mean, that's something the public calls you. You see. And when you become successful, when you become famous, it's very very easy to be blinded by all these happenings. Everybody comes up, and you are Mr. Lee. When you have long hair, they would say: 'Like, Hey, man, that's cool, Man, Baby, that's the in-thing'. But, if you have no name they would say: 'Boy, look at that disgusting juvenile delinquent!' I mean, too many people are yes-yes-yes to you all the time, you see. So, unless you really, at that time, have gone to a higher loft, and understand what life is about, and that right now, Man, some game is happening, and realizing such that is a game, finally then, it's all right. But most people tend to be blinded by it because, I mean, if things are repeated too many times, you believe in it and it becomes a habit.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    the title of this thread should be "Who are more "robotic": INTJs or INTPs? INTP is the correct answer, but disagree with me so I can argue with you and question your intelligence!"
    Another person who clearly doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Interesting. It came off trolly to me, honestly. Apologies. What is the point, though? Like... my NFPness doesn't really understand. Maybe it's a T debate / truth thing. Like it's interesting to debate just because it's another corner of the universe to define?
    No, not trolly at all, really.

It's pretty much like you said: another area to explore/define.

I mean, I've seen this issue discussed, indirectly, plenty of times before, and I've had plenty of discussions whereby people have agreed with me that the caricature of INTJs as "robotic" is extremely far from the truth, so, after making a joke to an INTP in another thread this morning about her response being extremely robotic, I figured, "You know, I've never seen a thread or poll about which type people believe to be more robotic, and, yes, I believe the answer is undoubtedly INTP (although, certain versions of INTJs can tend to be rather robotic [I think it depends a lot, actually, on their enneagram type and instinctual variants [enneagram 5s and sp-dom's tend to be the more robotic ones {but the strongest positive correlation between the enneagram and the MBTI is that between Ti-dom's being enneagram 5s, so...}])", so I decided to make a thread and poll about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    So before you spoke a word to me and I to you, you already made up your mind?
    I don't make up my mind like that.

I come to a tentative conclusion, and let future evidence pointing in a different direction change my mind accordingly.

I assure you, my talking with you has not provided me with the kind of evidence to change that opinion even one iota.

Goes to show who I am dealing with.
    That you would think this idiotic statement is worth writing shows precisely the kind of person I'm dealing with.

The person you called a fool initially...
    I didn't call anybody foolish.

I called a person's reasoning idiotic.

went by his definition of what robotic was
    And, as I have said, it was a poor one.

I did not say as much about many other opinions in this thread.

And you called him idiotic.
    Once again, no, I did not.

Go back and read the thread.

A spade is a spade yes.
    ^ This.

Does not square well with this:

But idiotic is subjective...
    No, it is not (necessarily).

It can be, but, when it's correct, it's correct, and is thus objective.

As I said before, go check your Ti at the door, there is such a thing as objective truth.

...and in this instance it wasn't idiotic at all because you failed at the OP to give a description.
    Whether or not I gave a description in the OP does not make an opinion any less or more idiotic.

An opinion is intelligent if it gets to the core of the issue; an opinion is idiotic if it most certainly does not.

His opinion most certainly did not get to the core of what it means to be robotic, and, as such, was idiotic.

It's not my Fe trying to impose rules on you.
    So you think.

I'm sorry that your opinion doesn't hold much water with me.

I've simply never found you to be a particularly insightful poster.

I'm just pointing out to you that you missed to make a point.
    I'm pretty sure this is nonsensical language, but, regardless, the sentiment you were trying to express is indeed wrong.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This thread = aburrimiento.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Voted for INTP. Dominant Ni doesn't seem robotic to me at all, whereas dominant Ti is more like a fixed program through which everything is run.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Voted for INTP. Dominant Ni doesn't seem robotic to me at all, whereas dominant Ti is more like a fixed program through which everything is run.
    Add Ti dominance to the ultimate computarized information processing capablilities of ISTP Se and you get the ultimate robot, even more robotic than INTP!

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Actually a spade is a collection of molecules (which are made up of atoms, which are made of electrons around a nucleus, which is essentially energy + space) which is arranged in a certain way and given a label by a being using language. In Spanish it's pala, and in Japanese it's スペード.

@Zarathustra:
    I have to agree with Riva, your lack of clarity does not imply a flaw in the reader's reasoning.

Perhaps you should take the advice on this INTJ page into consideration:
    http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html
    Particularly this:
    "...It is not easy for the INTJ to express their internal images, insights, and abstractions. The internal form of the INTJ's thoughts and concepts is highly individualized, and is not readily translatable into a form that others will understand. However, the INTJ is driven to translate their ideas into a plan or system that is usually readily explainable, rather than to do a direct translation of their thoughts. They usually don't see the value of a direct transaction, and will also have difficulty expressing their ideas, which are non-linear. However, their extreme respect of knowledge and intelligence will motivate them to explain themselves to another person who they feel is deserving of the effort.

Just sayin.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Add Ti dominance to the ultimate computarized information processing capablilities of ISTP Se and you get the ultimate robot, even more robotic than INTP!
    Yes, but the poll was not which type is the most robotic.

Also, whereas there is a clear cognative distinction between difference in robotic like behaviour between INTP's and INTJ's. I can't say the same is true for ISTP's and ISTJ's. Since Si's ability to process the past is in essence more robotlike than Se, which would just be the sensors or camera on a robot, which still require value and recognition that is not natural for robots. Si's ability to process the past, complimented by Te, would then be a different kind of Robot than the ISTP's Ti-Se, but it is arguably which of the two is the most robotic-like of the two.

So, I think the line between robotism between ISTP and ISTJ is much more vague than it is between INTP and INTJ, cognative function wise.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Flattery will get you everywhere

I voted on instinct, so I didn't look at the definitions or anything. Having had some time to reflect on my gut reaction, I'll add some nuance and say:

INTJs are more traditionally robotic, in that they're more likely to do the execute-type stuff that robots are often designed for and gather the empirical data (think the mars robot)

INTPs are more like...computer type robots, I feel. They're more likely to analyze data and create a logical system out of that. Think big boss brain robot in the Matrix.

Make sense?
    I think this is actually a very interesting distinction...

I think what you're pointing to is that INTJs are more robotic in their external actions, while INTPs are more robotic in their internal processing.

And it's probably related to what Fluffywolf said about INTJ appearing more robotic while INTPs actually are more robotic.

And, furthermore, it would seem to point to INTJs being more "robotic" in an extroverted sense, and INTPs in an introverted sense.

...not sure that this explanation is anywhere near what you wanted, expected or hoped for, but there it is. I'm fairly sure other T's will be more up to your standards in this debate
    It will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I voted based on my experiences with my husband and one of my best friends who is an INTP. To me, my husband is more robotic because he is so set in his routines... It's like he has a mental checklist he must cross off everything on it before he can relax and unwind. Whereas, my INTP friend is far more relaxed on how he approaches things that need to be taken care of. Plus, from a romantic standpoint, my husband can be very robotic about intimacy. He gets very stuck in the "must hug and kiss on wife" to show her love... When in reality if he'd just say I love you I'd be totally content.
    I see your husband is an enneagram 1 sp?

The thing's you've described actually sound more related to that.

The enneagram strikes again...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    Bah, I'm having issues conveying the thoughts in my head again, so my explanation sucks.
    No, no worries, it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    agree with Zarathusta

If all INTPs were like fluffywolf, we wouldnt have threads were women complian about their INTPs heartlessness

my vote is INTJs

Agree with me? Vote INTJ? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    This thread = aburrimiento.
    I'm not sure if that equal sign stands for "is caused by" or "is a source of", but, if @Riva didn't feel the need to go flashing his Fe rulebook all over the place, a worthwhile discussion might actually take place.

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Exactly.