User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing objectivity once you're emotionally invested.

actinomycetes Array raindancing's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hmm, I am all to familiar with these emotions, and trust me they are definately felt. But it's more like we can't incoorperate these feelings into our reasoning. Because Ti doesn't do shortcuts, even if our feelings point the same way our reasoning does, we still need that reasoning to be in place. Ti wants to have a rational reason (or as rational as possible) for us to undertake certain action. Emotions, although definately felt, are not something we can 'blindly trust' in when we're talking about subjects close to our interests.
    Thanks for that explanation. The bolded part was particularly interesting. I knew this in a sense, but seeing it in words helps clarify it in my mind.

The only moment I have where I can truely let my emotions flow without Ti scrutinization is when being physically intimate.
    It was interesting in the thread about love languages, so many INTPs had physical intimacy as one of their top two.

My INTP is like this, it's amazing the deep passion that can become evident with physical expression. Incredibly overwhelming

As for not admitting an opinion is based on subjective grounds, I think it's more that he doesn't want to 'submit' to a subjective opinion, right? When we lack the ability to have an opinion in that field based on solely objective grounds, yet our environment asks us to still have an opinion about it, things can get a bit tricky for us. We don't feel we have the right information yet to give a good opinion, and that can really tense us up.

I've learned to just go with it with an open mind. I can conform to a subjective idea if I have no better alternative at that moment, but I won't feel like that's truth or fact, and will allow myself to revise my opinion whenever I find something to add to the story.
    I was referring more to situation's where he thinks he's being objective, and doesn't realize that the conclusion he's reached is being influenced by some emotional pull or bias he isn't conscious of.

As for situations that you described, where he's expected to have an opinion but he doesn't feel he has enough information, then he is as you describe: open minded, choosing the best with what info he has, but holding it lightly. This is his most common mind set.

I only brought up the other stuff because it sort of went with the thread (and I find it interesting )
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I think there's factors greater than typology at play in romantic liasons and more than that in objectivity too.

6w7 so/sx
    EII Ne

I suspect this is in part a natural reaction of the mind to protect us and keep us happy. To some degree we subconsciously choose a certain take on reality because it makes life better. But ultimately, since it's really just another way of framing the same thing (I liken it to using a better browser, even though you're seeing the same internets), you're just better off updating your frames to fit each situation, so to speak. I figure it's part and parcel to experiential learning. As nice as it would be for us Ns to be able to grasp it theoretically beforehand, I honestly think there are some things that just must be experienced to understand.