User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default The INTJ "Doorslam" aka INTJ Pigeonholing

I couldn't think of a better word for what I am trying to describe, so am using a familiar one to get the conversation rolling on this.

The INTJ "doorslam" isn't a doorslam like the INFJ doorslam, because the INTJ will still interact with you, but there are some similar elements I think.

Let me describe what I mean. Once an INTJ has figured out "what you are for" you get categorized into that function and once you are slotted in that spot, it can be difficult to get yourself reassigned from that role.

Roles can be anything from what the person does best (clear speaker, intuitive coder, interface-creator, customer-satisfyer, gourmet cook) to relationship-based categories (friend, co-worker, love interest) whatever.

I think it's part of the reason that NFP's keep dancing around NTJ's throwing Ne everywhere - it prevents (especially) the INTJ from assigning them a role, because the INTJ takes in this new data and delays settling the NFP into a functional capacity.

Personally, I resist being categorized, and looking back I know in the past I have kept my INTJ coworkers "on their toes" by revealing skills at key moments to keep them guessing about me. I don't want them to ... decide. It's like I can feel them trying to.

Not that an INTJ won't revisit their system, but they will resist seeing you in a new light once they've decided on what you do. Sometimes, they won't go back either, although that's only happened to me personally one time and more in the context of interpersonal dynamic. Therein is the "doorslam". This is what this person IS. File to be appended ... maybe never?

Thoughts? In no way is this post a finished product, just some ideas that I'd like to refine with input.

And anyone, please suggest a better word for the thread title than the "doorslam"?

EDIT: Pigeonholing has been suggested, so pigeonholing it shall be!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Hahahah... I know exactly what you mean. I grew up with an oldest INTJ brother. As a silly example (and possibly just because he's a big brother), it's been really hard for him to see my anything other than a gawky little kid with braces. It's almost kind of funny to watch that "Doorslam" (Sorry, can't think of another word now!) occur in their little heads. It looks like an internal struggle when you're breaking out of the role they set aside for you. For instance, when my brother took to MBTI typing, he was convinced I was an INTP. Now that he's accepted I'm an ISTP, he instead just calls me "N/S ambidextrous" :P
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INTJ

Righto, so... "P=mercurial".

HA HAHAHA DANCE OUTA THAT BOX SUCKERS!
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Don't most people do this? I always felt ESxx tries to "size you up" the fastest, however they will allow new roles to form more easily.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

LOL - when I saw this, my immediate reaction was to think of a sarcastic response along the lines of "nooo, only horrible INFJs do this, and they ALL do it ALL THE TIME!"

Sorry. This sounds quite interesting and I'll keep an eye on this thread!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Don't most people do this? I always felt ESxx tries to "size you up" the fastest, however they will allow new roles to form more easily.
    This was my reaction as well. I think we all make judgments about people.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I couldn't think of a better word for what I am trying to describe, so am using a familiar one to get the conversation rolling on this.

The INTJ "doorslam" isn't a doorslam like the INFJ doorslam, because the INTJ will still interact with you, but there are some similar elements I think.

Let me describe what I mean. Once an INTJ has figured out "what you are for" you get categorized into that function and once you are slotted in that spot, it can be difficult to get yourself reassigned from that role.

Roles can be anything from what the person does best (clear speaker, intuitive coder, interface-creator, customer-satisfyer, gourmet cook) to relationship-based categories (friend, co-worker, love interest) whatever.

I think it's part of the reason that NFP's keep dancing around NTJ's throwing Ne everywhere - it prevents (especially) the INTJ from assigning them a role, because the INTJ takes in this new data and delays settling the NFP into a functional capacity.

Personally, I resist being categorized, and looking back I know in the past I have kept my INTJ coworkers "on their toes" by revealing skills at key moments to keep them guessing about me. I don't want them to ... decide. It's like I can feel them trying to.

Not that an INTJ won't revisit their system, but they will resist seeing you in a new light once they've decided on what you do. Sometimes, they won't go back either, although that's only happened to me personally one time and more in the context of interpersonal dynamic. Therein is the "doorslam". This is what this person IS. File to be appended ... maybe never?

Thoughts? In no way is this post a finished product, just some ideas that I'd like to refine with input.

And anyone, please suggest a better word for the thread title than the "doorslam"?
    I do think I'm pretty open to new information coming in which may further shape my view of a person. INTJs are dominant perceivers and not dominant judgers. You're dealing with the general's aid. The general is in the tent. People perceive that we're not open to new information when in fact, that is not the case.

Do I door slam? Sure. It's very rare though. The person would have to do what I perceived as real harm to me. In that case, I hold a grudge basically forever. There was a person who came up in a conversation just yesterday in fact that I feel this way about. Te dom (probably ENTJ). I hate the guy's guts.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Maybe a good word for it is typecasting? I've experienced this before, but not with an INTJ.. I'll attempt to remember.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

If I got this correctly, it seems like something ISTJ's do too. They have the dom. Si, and in this case, it works pretty much like the dom. Ni, where they go by their internal storehouse of data (and the aux. Te which judges the outside object and what to do with it), and then that's just "it" with them.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Maybe a good word for it is typecasting? I've experienced this before, but not with an INTJ.. I'll attempt to remember.
    That's what it sounds like to me... Kind of like when an actor/actress gets "typecast" and they end up forever doing comedies or stuck in the villain role...

As for my experience... I guess my INTJ sees me as the PC guru in the house and always bugs me when something doesn't immediately work... Then again, it's hard to tell because I am the only other adult in the house. He does use me as his personal proofreader ALL THE TIME. But, again, I'm the only other adult. I don't think the 1-year old would be good at fixing the computer or proofreading!

I can't really say he has any specific person he labels as something and refuses to change his mind on.... Oooh, except our neighbors.... We had only been in our house for a few weeks and they made a comment to him that has forever sealed their fate with him. He will have nothing to do with them and thinks they are close-minded and snobby. I've actually chatted with them a few times since the incident and I haven't noticed that from them... So either he blew things out of proportion or they chilled out... But I can't get him to change his opinion of them!

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmm, don't NFP's kinda do the Ne spinning naturally any way (or for that matter any Ne doms and aux) we are all about the possibilities.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]