User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I wonder, is it so difficult for INTJ to have a value for someone they can't categorize or set a purpose to?
    *computing Huxley's purpose*

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^ Ime, they can value them for sheer entertainment value at that point (coz it tickles their curiosity). They have to be in relaxation mode for that though.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    ^ Ime, they can value them for sheer entertainment value at that point (coz it tickles their curiosity). They have to be in relaxation mode for that though.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but isn't this a purpose/categorization, too?

I think it could be labeled @Edgar's "frisky pet you can fuck".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I wonder, is it so difficult for INTJ to have a value for someone they can't categorize or set a purpose to?
    It is more than difficult, it is impossible. You would then be seen as purposeless, which I would expect is worse than being pigeonholed into an incorrect or too narrow function.

Don't worry, though. My definition of "purpose" is very broad, and includes many open-ended and subjective purposes like entertainment value (sounds harsh even to me), simple companionship, good neighbor, friendly face at the store, etc. Of course, everyone has fundamental value as a human, but to have specific value to me, one (or both) of us must get something out of it, and what we get will determine the purpose and value.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Let me describe what I mean. Once an INTJ has figured out "what you are for" you get categorized into that function and once you are slotted in that spot, it can be difficult to get yourself reassigned from that role.

Roles can be anything from what the person does best (clear speaker, intuitive coder, interface-creator, customer-satisfyer, gourmet cook) to relationship-based categories (friend, co-worker, love interest) whatever.
    Yes.

It is a door-slamming in a compartmental capacity. “Sorry, you don’t get clearance into that area - you don’t work there, go back to your work station.”

One’s potential for “advancement” is often dependent on the maturity of the INTJ in terms of them being open (and actively seeking) new information, and not making snap, set-in-stone decisions.

If they choose to engage in it, this concept relates heavily to INTJ concept of manipulation as well.

I think it's part of the reason that NFP's keep dancing around NTJ's throwing Ne everywhere - it prevents (especially) the INTJ from assigning them a role, because the INTJ takes in this new data and delays settling the NFP into a functional capacity.
    That’s too funny…. my INTJ best friend growing up and through the teen years called me his swiss army knife.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Once an INTJ has figured out "what you are for" you get categorized into that function and once you are slotted in that spot, it can be difficult to get yourself reassigned from that role.
    I am highly resistant to trusting people with new roles if they aren't interested in regularly putting themselves in the student role, and admitting they have worldview revisions to do.

I think healthy INTJs build up and tear down drafts of our worldview, and we pride ourselves in being open enough to learn and grow from new ideas.

I had people comment on how judgy I was about someone for the past few years, and saw them as a small person... until she gave up pretenses and said, I'm really struggling with this stuff and I'm no longer interested in pretending I'm doing fine. And I immediately respected her and trusted her with a lot of things. I changed my mind about her because I saw she stopped using her energy to give off false images of competence. Instead, she gained enough self-respect to give the middle finger to what everyone else thought and used her energy for actual, genuine growth (which required seeing her weaknesses come out).

I don't know if this is related to what you're after. But I really struggle to respect someone who is using their energy to give off airs of competence compared to someone who is genuinely building their competence, even if it looks like they're failing more.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@bold: Not sure that's true. It's different, I can feel it. That's where I am interested to explore.

@boldpurple: I agree. Te-Si: "You know how to do task X? Good, get over there and do it man!"

-----

I hear you "

What could possibly change your mind about him? Anything?

-----

Yes, like that, someone repped me "pigeon-holing" like that one too. Keep the suggestions coming!

It's like, the ISTJ is more about the individual tasks and when you add a skill, to me it seems they append their file more readily. INTJ seems more about the assemblage and what the whole can do. Adding a new data point doesn't necessarily append their belief about who / what you are ?? Somehow ?? It takes more than a couple of Si remembrances ...

Exploring ..... thanks all for your thoughts so far. As I said, I am putting this out there to refine or shoot down, rather than sharing any kind of conclusions.
    My infp friend once told me that he processes relationships subconciously, wheras I tend to process them more conciously. I think he was right. For me at least, there was a point where I was unaware of how I came across to others so I learned to neuroquantum matrix that shit so I would know who I could joke around with, who I could talk existentially with, basically who I could be MYSELF around. It's like a spidey sense that's not meant to judge others, perhaps it's more of a defense mechanism, but because I think about it so conciously I think I have picked up on certain "markers" that are highly probabalistically accurate. However, I have always been prone to "counting." NFs usually interpret it as a control issue, but that doesn't feel right to me. I do it, beacause for me it's like beautiful on the fly visual poetry and the only level of complexity that keeps me fully engaged.

I guess to get the person to open up more, perhaps defy their expectations in a positive way as you said or playfully remind them that they could be shutting out opportunities/people by doing that? Also, that people are more complex than that and are not just memes : D

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    If I got this correctly, it seems like something ISTJ's do too. They have the dom. Si, and in this case, it works pretty much like the dom. Ni, where they go by their internal storehouse of data (and the aux. Te which judges the outside object and what to do with it), and then that's just "it" with them.
    I believe it is related to the socionics Ti function so is very common in ixtj. It is a hunter-seeker function used to identify threats, allies, and mates lol.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Society

i saw my father (INTJ) doing this all the time when he was running his business - "this guy is my general case salesman, she is good with selling to older couples, this is my closer", and to some extent to me, he has at some point saw some pattern between tech stuff i extrapolated/fantasized/went-Ne-about about as a kid in the early 90s and trends happening in the later 90's and asked me to pick startups for him to invest in... then hormonal changes came, then the high tech bubble exploded (coincidence? hmmm).

i actually think it's probably the case that with Fi dealing less with the nature of other people and more with internal projections and extrapolations of the golden rule, Te takes a more front line role in assessing other people, and when one combines it with the singular cohesive-vision nature of introverted intuition, the INTJ asks himself a Te question about a person and get's an Ni answer.

p.s.
    I don't think the metaphor holds - the nature of a doorslam is closing yourself off from the other's perspective or any information they can provide regarding it, it's basically being in a conflict and shouting "lalala alallaala i don't hear you", while pigeon holing people, as annoying as it is, enables an open flow of information, it merely means you are less adaptable to new information.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@Mane: just to let you know, you're not responsible for the tech bubble of the late 90s bursting lol
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Here is an INTJ who participated in pigeon holding - literally!