Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    When I think of Ni, I imagine a person looking through a kaleidoscope. Ni is almost like wearing x-ray vision goggles. It allows you to see what others do not. With Ni, everything has a hidden meaning and hidden symbolism. Ni looks at something and analyzes, and analyzes until it comes to one universal truth (it's not like Ne where it believes that there are several things that could be true at once.) Ni is almost 3 dimensional, it gets an idea and just builds, and builds on that idea until it comes to a full understanding of something, then they get this "yes I understand" moment. Ni is also like a holographic image on a card, if you turn it one way, it sees this, and if you turn it another, it see's this. I hope this helps.
    This description of Ni sounds so accurate it almost seems as if it came from an Ni user (perhaps yourself or another person.) I agree that Ni is a setup for open mindedness enabling the user to see all perspectives of the multidimensional relativistic reality. They are as the Buddha said, what am I, I am awake!

You Ni users are special people comprising the 2 rarest types in all of typology!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    This description of Ni sounds so accurate it almost seems as if it came from an Ni user (perhaps yourself or another person.) I agree that Ni is a setup for open mindedness enabling the user to see all perspectives of the multidimensional relativistic reality. They are as the Buddha said, what am I, I am awake!

You Ni users are special people comprising the 2 rarest types in all of typology!
    Yeah, this definition of Ni came from me chatting with Ni users on PerC and with an INFJ I've been chatting with over the phone lately.

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh. My. GAWD!

Ni cannot and does not operate in isolation. In a dominant role, the relationship to sensing is all but lost to consciousness but just let the weirdos start talking and you can hear the connection. Fleeting physical events are not meaningless, they say. Bundles of connected content--theories, conspiracy theories!--provide the true meaning. And although there is no rule beyond the personal governing what may be connected to what, the imagery loses its purpose, becomes vacuous, if it so finally fails to cohere that it contains true, core contradiction.

In short, Ni is the creation of mental schemes that undermine the obvious contradiction, the better to know what fleeting physical event will happen next.

Ne works a similar anticipation. For introverted sensing, unfamiliar immediate sensation isn't real. It exists, but its content is not and can not be concrete until its appropriate location in the scheme of the physical has been found. And given how huge the true scheme of the physical really is, one must seek much more widely than the immediate moment to know what that location might be. And that's extroverted intuition: the attempt to place sensation where it could rightly be, most certainly even expanding it out from where it already is.

So thank your mommas.

I know I did.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

How does Ni manifest is ISxPs, because someone wrote a fairly convincing message on my wall with related material on other threads that I might be ISTP due to Ni and Ti, Ni being perhaps more noticable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    I think all intuition anticipates sensing.

Looked at that way, Ni is the work of knowing ahead of time what can come up in the moment. This is the same as saying "Ni is a rejection of Se". Instead of deigning to experience the physical moment, one sits back to draw up some collage of what is in all moments.

Obviously this collage is haunted by what experiences you haven't had, what books you didn't read, all the things you don't know. Major efforts go into examining what you are aware of and drawing out themes and images that can be timelessly projected into the future to create foreknowledge.

As to how that happens...
    Well said Kalach. Ni is all about anticipation/foreknowledge when we think about its use. I think of it as a "problem solver" as well, in the sense that Ni really comes into its full being only when we are faced with problems (either factual or imaginary)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    @Daedalus - on a slightly tangental note, I'm with an ISTJ and he tells me that for most of the time, Si serves the Si doms well. I'm sure this is the same way for Ni. It's just the unchecked Pi that gives me a hard time.

Anyway, thanks that anecdote. That actually makes me wonder what a 'hunch' is, as in, how to deconstruct it so that I may analyze it, because I'm willing to accept this explanation more than the 'it's mystical, etc.' one. You say that it's from the way they interact with others and body language. Perhaps that's Se, picking up external cues and then feeding it to Ni, which in turns generates extrapolations & the motivations associated with them, then to Te, which eliminates unlikely options given the situation, then to Fi, which evaluates the rest (this is what I was trying to do, given that mindset/motivation; this is good/bad)? Then this is all very subconscious within the user, so they don't realize they're using all these functions in tandem.
    Ni needs input in order to throw out its answers. In the event i recounted, it probably was Se but I am not sure. My friends consider me to be a really jovial and people-person. Only the closest and dearest of my friends(maybe 2 or 3) actually know that I'm an introvert. Others generally think in the middle..maybe even an extravert. We INTJ's usually have a harder time sensing feelings in others(not to mention allowing those feelings to cloud our judgement). This leads to what many have described as the INTJ's lack of social skill/rudeness/etc etc.

Starting from my late teens, I noticed that a lot of social situations can be predicted by careful observation (and then piping these observations into Ni to find plausible "feelings" the other person we are talking to might be experiencing). Over time, and over the years, through trial and error one can become better and better at it. Now, in my mid 20s I am able to compensate for the usual INTJ's inability to pick up feelings by predicting what feelings the other person might be experiencing. Facial clues, context, choice of words...a lot of body language (and a huge amount of past history/similar events) all go as input to my Ni , which in turn gives me an answer. Even though it might seem a pretty cold way of doing it...at least this way I can understand what feelings the other person is experiencing...to a very good degree of accuracy. Thus I think with practice its very possible to predict a lot of stuff we are only supposed to pick up using Se. I wonder if it is correct to assume that Ni is used as a crutch to make up for the reduced sensor abilities of the INTJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    That's a really interesting perespective on Ni use. I can identify with a lot of it. I've always used my past experiences to project meanings to other things I encounter, and am usually good at forecasting traits and qualities of new items/people I encounter. I always thought the past experiences thing was an Se/Ni use, and that Ni dom use really was more "magical". :P But I suppose the only real difference is how the data is originally picked up. I originally pick it up with Se, then later that becomes part of the storehouse of data Ni uses. How Ni picks up data to use in the future is a little mind boggling to me.
    Yes, Se is the inferior function of the INTJ's so I think we try to substitute Ni generated predictions in place of missing Se cues sometimes.

PS: My apologies folks, for vanishing from this thread for a few days. Got a lil busy with a conference
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Nice post. You are really fleshing out some good definitions of Ni.

I getting an overall thrust from this post that,

Using Ni is like finding the least common denominator among variables.

And I think you are right. Because it's not that Ni only looks for one answer for one thing, because life is rarely that simplistic or neat. It's that Ni looks for the best, most unifying way to unite many variables.
    Thank you. Ni does seem to find the least common denominator which can then be used to predict the answer to a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    When I think of Ni, I imagine a person looking through a kaleidoscope. Ni is almost like wearing x-ray vision goggles. It allows you to see what others do not. With Ni, everything has a hidden meaning and hidden symbolism. Ni looks at something and analyzes, and analyzes until it comes to one universal truth (it's not like Ne where it believes that there are several things that could be true at once.) Ni is almost 3 dimensional, it gets an idea and just builds, and builds on that idea until it comes to a full understanding of something, then they get this "yes I understand" moment. Ni is also like a holographic image on a card, if you turn it one way, it sees this, and if you turn it another, it see's this. I hope this helps.
    It does. Thank you

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I wonder if the following is due to Ni or its influence

I read fast...I mean really really fast. Not because I took some speed reading course, or follow some speed reading method, but simply because I do not "read" the letters. I just read "words".

To explain, think of each word as a letter. Now instead of reading each letter in a word to understand a word, and do it multiple times to understand a sentence, one can just read each word as a letter, and understand the sentence much quicker.

Most of us actually do this unthinkingly to the smaller words, but don't do it for the bigger ones.

Do any of you guys actually read the letters in the words "The", "at", "if" ? I don't think you. You guys "know" how "the", "at" and "if' look like. So instead of reading "t"+"h"+"e", you read "the" as one letter, because the brain is used to it and knows how to recognize it. Imagine doing the same to really large words, like "procrastination" or "contemplation". It sounds hard, but with years of practice (or maybe due to use of Ni??) this is easy to do.

While reading a sentence I just read the words as pictures and let my mind make sense of them based on context. This context based reading input also works marvelously well for real-time error correction. Errors are bound to arise because many words "look" similar. For example let’s look at the following two sentences.

1) The idea was fit for contemplation
    2) The apple was fit for consumption.

Sometimes when reading really fast I might "see" contemplation as consumption (this is not a great example; there are other long words which only differ by a letter or two). However even as we realize there is something “wrong” with the wording, the word that should have been there (for the sentence to make sense) simply pops up in the mind and replaces the mis-read word. Over time we kinda start to “know” how many words would look like even in very new(at least to us) fonts..thus new fonts don’t really affect this speed reading ability as they ought to.

I wonder if this ability to “see” words even though they are in different fonts, and the fact that letters are not “read” but seen as a whole that makes a word hints at some Ni connection. We know that Ni is about finding connections between seemingly diverse objects. This seems to apply to reading in a way. Words are but connections between seemingly independent letters. Different combinations of such letters create different words. I have a hunch Ni is at play here. What say you?