First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    And I also notice that your avatar is Death. By the way, I'm also a bit of a Gaiman fan but reading X-Men (my avatar is Cyclops, obviously), prevents me financially from fully jumping to Sandman, even if the Absolute edition of the hardcovers makes everything accessible now.
    Not too different after all, then -- my first love was X-Men.

The first issue I ever bought was #162 (where Wolvie fights off the implanted brood hatchling), and then I ended up reading for the next ten years or so, at least, plus collecting the old Claremont/Byrne back issues. Very awesome stuff. I stopped sometime after #300, I was tiring of the constant changes to the characters that broke continuity or dragged things out unnecessarily.

(I recently started collecting the new Astonishing X-Men series, but stopped due to money... I am figuring they are releasing them all as compilations every so often, and it's cheaper to buy the books than the individual issues.)

btw, I have my avatars turned off much of the time... so I didn't notice Cyclops. Very cool, tho.

And it's interesting how you chose Death over Dream. I also prefer the former. Though in reality, INTPs may be realistically closer to the Sandman, the persona of Death is an aspiration--epitome of the misery of death (an analogy of the coldness of the Ti) and yet there's an aspiration among us to be perky, like her.
    In many ways, my life has more resembled Morpheus.... and I see the same passivity there.. and the commitment to responsibility (and accompanying self-recrimination) regardless of the pain. I so much understand what it is like to be unable to make a firm break and instead subtly "setting things up" that events might conspire to make my decisions for me.

But how I like to interact with people is more like Death. Low-key, quirky, kind, perceiving what's going on in the large scale, light encouragement laced with honesty.

No, seriously, I just changed the topic to Death for the meantime because I wanna establish a connection with you as of the moment. *wink* *wink* Well, that's your cue on how I do things. LOL!
    mmmm... well, you're not supposed to EXPLAIN it.

But note that that's how I make connections too: Instead of the flirty stuff, I usually try to find a common topic of interest, searching for something evocative to both of us. You think that might be more typical INTP behavior? It's definitely more mentally stimulating and builds a real sense of connection for me.

But yeah, you're right. Casual flirting is not an INTP thing. It's like, when you developed a certain degree of strong intuition, it would be pretentious to think that your sensory functions are stronger. And that's a bias that INTPs would tend to always have on chit chat interactions because they, often times, involve S.
    I can't begin to tell you how, when younger, I despised Small Talk. But unfortunately, you usually can't get into Deep Talk with anyone until you cross the Small Talk hurdle. And it does have its place.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    But that's all I wanted *you* for, Xander. Yes, that's right! I wanted you for your BODY! Stop. CRYING!
    *confused*

What sort of body does Xander have that I've never heard about yet?!

You mean you didn't like my hands in your pockets? Hmm. *puzzles* That's rude? The yetis who raised me didn't teach me anything about that - they didn't wear pants, you see. My bad!
    *Scribbles in "Flirting Advice" pad* = "Reference yeti and sasquatch and other big hairy guys, to spur on jealousy and competition in the relatively inadequate male homo sapien"

(I'm sorry, but I don't believe that Cary Elwes exists. Just sayin'.)
    As you wish, hon.
    I still think dashing pirates abound, tho.

The ENTPs, not a problem. They come right out and grab you.
    Um.. yeah. Make sure you're carrying a big stick. Or a gun. Or something. (Hmm, maybe a "list of chores" would repel them adequately?)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    *confused*

What sort of body does Xander have that I've never heard about yet?!
    Inflatable Lou Ferrigno.

*Scribbles in "Flirting Advice" pad* = "Reference yeti and sasquatch and other big hairy guys, to spur on jealousy and competition in the relatively inadequate male homo sapien"
    Also, not wearing pants. Then I won't be confused by the pockets again.

As you wish, hon.
    I still think dashing pirates abound, tho.
    Do they? Tell them to give me a call.

Um.. yeah. Make sure you're carrying a big stick. Or a gun. Or something. (Hmm, maybe a "list of chores" would repel them adequately?)
    lol!! Brilliant!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Inflatable Lou Ferrigno.
    Lou'd be green with envy over Xander, methinks.

Also, not wearing pants. Then I won't be confused by the pockets again.
    Drat! No pants! I always forget the pantless thing. *scribbles in notebook*

Wait. What about knickers? Or jocks?

lol!! Brilliant!
    Well, I have to say, I know my ENTPs (and Qs).

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    Well, I don't wanna be cynical and say that I'm trying to flirt with someone just for the sheer gratification that I can tangibly do it on a casual basis.

I still feel that I do actually care for any person whom I may wanna flirt with.
    I agree with your last sentence. While some types flirt for fun, I think INTPs flirt with those in whom they're interested. Casual flirting is not an INT thing.

I don't remember flirting much with my INTP husband. We went right to a deep connection within days of meeting each other.

What I'm saying is, you don't necessarily need to know how to flirt well to get a girl.

Jae Rae
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 05-12-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: quote too long
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    What I'm saying is, you don't necessarily need to know how to flirt well to get a girl.
    Agreed!!!

If anything, I am a bit wary of male flirts, and my ex was/is literally incapable of "flirting", he could be silly sometimes but only when in a sincerely silly mood, which was rare. And he would rarely flatter me for flattery's sake. Flirting is a kind of a more derived/contrived form of communication, and for some of us, like me, it can be fun to engage in, but for others, like my ex, it can be viewed as being a fake, affected and hence unnecessary thing to engage oneself in.

Basically, flirting is optional.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

"Flirting is a kind of a more derived/contrived form of communication"

That's what I mean by flirting being an act that lacks sincerity and integrity. This leads to social retards like myself being hurt oftentimes. thx capn!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

So I'm curious...what sorts of things/behaviors do INTPs do that are part of flirting? I'm probably going on a date with an INTP this weekend, it'd be nice to know the signs so I don't ignore them...

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Firelie, this is an interaction I had with an ESFP friend.

ESFP girl: Hey, uhmmm....thanks for inviting me to XXXX's party. I really enjoyed it.

Me: Well, for one, I wanted to see you.

ESFP girl: And...uhmmmm.....why's that?

Me: Well, you'll be out of the city by about a week. That time frame is quite lengthy.

ESFP girl: I thought you're going to say that you wanna see me because I'm pretty.

Me: Well, see, I couldn't get that explicit. Cut me some slack. I have to make that excuse, of course. Now, pretend that you actually buy it.

ESFP girl: You are a big............flirt.

Me: =)

Some notes:
    1. The girl is not really that flirtatious or slutty. Her Fi still gives her a good overall character. But notice how strong her open-ended statements were (must be caused by her extroversion plus perception).

2. Her SP shows that she has a knack for artistry. She now trying to take a shot at writing (an NP forte). Her sensory functions may imply that she's good in deriving ideas from what she may have previously read, and her FP axis would imply that she may want to start writing things for her own.

She let me read her story once, and it was my Ne-Ti axis that interpreted it, and she's kinda amazed that I see something like that in her work. That's how the initial connection began. Probably, she wants her Ne to jack up and she sees me as a help for that.

3. Notice how I try to keep my composure on how I say things. I made an open ended answer to her question, and ended it up with a deadpan-humored icebreaker. It's an NT thing. They don't want to be the first to chuckle at their own insinuation. They'll play this mystified, open-ended, intellectual conversation like crazy.

My basic routine is....
    a. Establish deep ties in the most efficient way. Always be nice and make the girl feel secure. I don't think that stereotypical cockiness works, unless the girl is a stereotypical shallow SF

b. Flirt subtly (Ne). Just like what Jennifer said, flirtation is an art of the mystified. It's supposed to be a guessing game.

c. Finalize it with an icebreaker (Ne). In theory, the icebreaker should be offsetting the flirtation in case it went out of control and make you cocky. but also, it shows an INTP's sense of humor and may actually be a compliment to the initial flirtation statement. Two hit combo, actually.

Seeing that you're an INTJ......hmmm....

As an INTP, I don't like INTJ's that much because they remind me of my college professors back then who are there because of their intellect, but still couldn't communicate effectively.

1. INTPs aren't really fond of Te, so don't define the date with recreational activities or extreme technicalities and specifics of certain ideas. The INTP would probably enjoy a more tranquil atmosphere where there's a good opportunity for a conversation.

2. If you push your J too much, the INTP's Ne-P axis would be tempted to play the role of the devil's advocate and this may not do well in your interaction with the person.

3. Your Ni would probably the binding agent of the date. Jack it up.

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Another thing, the things I've listed above will hardly work with a girl with a very strong SF axis or with anyone who doesn't give a damn about N, at all. I gave up on that a long time ago. LOL!