User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Am I an INTP?

MBTI
    ????

Default Am I an INTP?

I test consistently (over the span of 5 years, various moods) as INTP, but there are aspects of me that I am not sure are quite INTP-like and thought would ask some of the type theory folks to. Either am not an INTP or I do not understand what exactly constitutes an INTP. Eitherway, any feedback would be dearly appreciated, thanks.

Following is the results of the test I took today: it came out as an INTP and I do largely *relate* to the description of INTP. But I constantly second guess and fear that, as a human, am underestimating my ability to be biased..

---

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) **************************** (28.6)
    average use
    introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14)
    unused
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************** (38.5)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.1)
    excellent use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22)
    limited use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.5)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********** (11.1)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40.6)
    excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
    By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
    Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
    Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

---

Following aspects are the points of confusion.

1) I really like talking to (some) people about my world views and understand their world views: the views are either philosophical and/or scientific with religion thrown in somewhere. But generally free-flowing any subject is up for taking. I also usually prefer being one on one to groups. My personal views are distinctly existential. So far so good. But I so thoroughly relish the point of views others and I sometimes _actively_ seek out to discuss such things. Some of my best days are spent arguing from day beginning to end on various things. Among the people I am 'comfortable' with (this is difficult to define unambiguously -- I only instinctively feel that they are 'open' to me and/or willing to humour me. That is enough to make me comfortable), am remarkably gregarious and even outgoing. So much so that, none of these people think am an introvert. I can do various silly stuff: DON'T regret them -- most of them anyway. I also enjoy playing sports and sweating it out: NOT competitively, but physical exertion, learning new stuff and generally needling/laughing is great way to spend your day. Me and my friends don't keep/follow score/rules anyway.. So am an ENTP? I am also quite friendly with large number of people: but I do escape/disappear humans for extended periods, and do come back without missing a beat.

2) I am also very happy to analyse/rationalise my feelings/choices with someone I am comfortable with and trust. This, strangely, helped me so much better -- at times. In times like that I almost feels as if I am crybaby that just need a pair of shoulder to cry. Nothing against feeling per se of course: you do what you do. But, it just makes *me* feel incredibly shitty/vulnerable. Or is that am actually Feeling type with a pronounced Thinking? I also sometime just do craziness spontaneously and I seldom act my age.. :facedesk

3) Am I a Sensor now?! The test says my best 'fit' is Improviser...

----
    The Four Temperaments
    Corresponding best-fit temperaments based on your profile: Improviser; secondly Theorist; then Catalyst; and lastly, Stabilizer.
    To read more about the four temperaments click here.
    ---

Ok, enough soul baring on Internet. The vague notion of Internet anonymity is *such* a blessing!

In the end, I 'feel' related to the description of an INTP, but is it what I *am*? I think humans can argue/make believe ourselves into *anything* really. It would be *real* nice if I manage to avoid that.

So, please let me know what you think.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, purely on your cognative strengths percentages I'd say you are more likely ISTP.

Dominant: Introverted thinking (Ti)
    Auxiliary: Extraverted sensing (Se)
    Tertiary: Introverted intuition (Ni)
    Inferior: Extraverted feeling (Fe)

Have you considered the ISTP type for yourself?

There are a few people that recognize with the TiNi a lot and how it doesn't really seem to fit into the MBTI scheme. Maybe they should bow their heads over this. x)
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I took two of the cognitive function tests yesterday, and I scored the same on both. I, too, came out confused because it seems I'm Ni Ti codominant. I wish I could help, but I'm not really experienced enough to give an answer. I'm glad you posted, though. I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

MBTI
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well, purely on your cognative strengths percentages I'd say you are more likely ISTP.
    I do not quite understand the typology theory. Could you just set the Functions by numbers and add a bit of reasoning? That would be very helpful.

Dominant: Introverted thinking (Ti)
    Auxiliary: Extraverted sensing (Se)
    Tertiary: Introverted intuition (Ni)
    Inferior: Extraverted feeling (Fe)

Have you considered the ISTP type for yourself?
    I have not studied ISTPs much. This is an entirely new Pandora's box to me; am trying it now and these are my observations.

I am terrible at planning and am an *epic* procrastinator. Efficiency and doing things do *enamour* me and I respect people (and, ironically, laugh at the same because in the end nothing might matters at all -- except what *is* you) who wants things done, but I am _infinitely_ more home at spotting connections and see what these connections would yield. Once am *convinced* of the plausibilities, and their possibilities, I just tend wrap and shelve the idea somewhere. My college year is just a graveyard of interesting ideas that I frustrate the faculties. After I have developed a *defensible* understanding, I never ever attempt to make things 'work'/happen: it's not that it can't be done, but the sheer effort doesn't bring anything new; unless there is an adrenaline surge in the process and in some cases it's just the deadlines. When I am convinced that something exists in Neverland, it just exists: I don't plan and construct the object to convince myself of it. Only competence I develop is being able to argue about for _hours_: you get high finding things, you get high arguing about them, but na, not doing it. I dabble at the theory of things: just an arm chair philosopher. Doing interests me only if I can use to get one those highs. I just largely float about space and time. I can't even do my grocery shopping in a regular way: I make lists but only to forget them when I finally haul myself to the supermarket..

My initial response is that may be my existentialism induced hedonism coming across as a 'present' kind of person.

There are a few people that recognize with the TiNi a lot and how it doesn't really seem to fit into the MBTI scheme. Maybe they should bow their heads over this. x)
    Of course, the whole typology is only intuitive (but fascinating nevertheless) : there hasn't even been any universal set of axioms/models on human behaviour that would 'naturally' lead to such a classification. It is a shame (and, to an extent, fun) that we are not so easily classifiable: that is why I prefer mathematical objects to humans. I can box them quite beautifully -- oh, well, there at least are some beautiful things that I can box..

Damn, I rant a LOT :facepalm

[QUOTE=herbpixie;1877713]
    I took two of the cognitive function tests yesterday, and I scored the same on both. I, too, came out confused because it seems I'm Ni Ti codominant. I wish I could help, but I'm not really experienced enough to give an answer. I'm glad you posted, though. I'll be watching this thread with great interest[\QUOTE]

*blushes* You are welcome. Am glad am not alone. I distinctly dislike my messiness in classification: it is like am non differentiable almost everywhere. It just beats me. :facepalm
    Last edited by anarion; 06-20-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: horrid spelling/grammar. :(

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Why discount 5-years of data, simply because discontinuities intermittently pop up? Mulligans happen all the time. Doesn't mean the milk is sour.

It's clear you're INTP. You have years of evidence to prove it.

MBTI
    ????

[QUOTE=Night;1877839\]
    Why discount 5-years of data, simply because discontinuities intermittently pop up? Mulligans happen all the time. Doesn't mean the milk is sour.
    [\QUOTE=Night;1877839]

Dear God/s, what would I *not* give for this certainty!! *sighs*

It's clear you're INTP. You have years of evidence to prove it.
    Not exactly an evidence: I only have the results of a statistical test. It is not even independent because the tested entity is me and I the tester itself is me, if you see what I mean. Not riding on Feyman, but "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.".

But even then, the test/indicator is statistical you see. I do not know if the test is a 'necessary/safe' indicator. My necessary I mean if you are an INTP, you will _necessarily_ be tagged as an 'INTP'. Nor do I know if the test is 'sufficient/sound': in that no non-INTP will ever be tagged as an 'INTP'. I say this because you will have to read the description and 'relate' to the tag that the test assigns you. That implies that the test is *not* both safe/sound.

But thanks a ton Night! I do see your point and I think I would do *well* to take it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Glad to help, anarion.

Trick is to avoid giving your data more power than your objectives. When anomalies happen, take them in stride (actually, it's good when your data has discernible variance). Don't let them muddle your perception. Goal is to find truth.

Certainty is just another word for 'trust'. To have more certainty, trust what you know and accept your mistakes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by anarion View Post
    Not exactly an evidence: I only have the results of a statistical test. It is not even independent because the tested entity is me and I the tester itself is me, if you see what I mean. Not riding on Feyman, but "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.".

But even then, the test/indicator is statistical you see. I do not know if the test is a 'necessary/safe' indicator. My necessary I mean if you are an INTP, you will _necessarily_ be tagged as an 'INTP'. Nor do I know if the test is 'sufficient/sound': in that no non-INTP will ever be tagged as an 'INTP'. I say this because you will have to read the description and 'relate' to the tag that the test assigns you. That implies that the test is *not* both safe/sound.
    This! I've taken multiple tests as well, but they were all self administered internet tests, and I'm not proficient enough in psychology to trust them. My one PSYCH 1101 class just didn't enlighten me the way I'd hoped. :-D I can relate to most of the INTP descriptions, but I can also relate to the INTJ ones. My cognitive function test was kind of ambiguous, but ultimately tagged me as an INTJ. I still believe I am an INTP, but I think it's also possible that I'm an INTJ. I very much understand your uncertainty. I'm not having an identity crisis or anything, but I do think that looking at this from a cognitive function point of view rather than the 16 types is kind of eye opening as well as rather confusing.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by herbpixie View Post
    This! I've taken multiple tests as well, but they were all self administered internet tests, and I'm not proficient enough in psychology to trust them. My one PSYCH 1101 class just didn't enlighten me the way I'd hoped. :-D I can relate to most of the INTP descriptions, but I can also relate to the INTJ ones. My cognitive function test was kind of ambiguous, but ultimately tagged me as an INTJ. I still believe I am an INTP, but I think it's also possible that I'm an INTJ. I very much understand your uncertainty. I'm not having an identity crisis or anything, but I do think that looking at this from a cognitive function point of view rather than the 16 types is kind of eye opening as well as rather confusing.
    It's pretty funny since INTP's and INFJ's are pretty much opposites in terms of cognative functions. It would help if you could enlighten us as to which parts from the various descriptions seem to fit you in particular.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It's pretty funny since INTP's and INFJ's are pretty much opposites in terms of cognative functions. It would help if you could enlighten us as to which parts from the various descriptions seem to fit you in particular.
    I actually started a similar thread this morning under "Type Me." http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-club-now.html I don't want to hijack this one. And yes, I know they are very different. That's why I'm so confused!