User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Lightbulb For the love of Brainteasers...

I've noticed that a lot of you guys are really good at brainteasers. Have you always been good at logic games (brainteasers, chess, Sudoku, etc.) or do you like them enough to persevere until you get good at them?

If you went to one of those crazy Google or Microsoft interviews, how do you think you would fare? Has lateral thinking always come easily to you?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I love near impossible or actual impossible puzzles, but not so much standard brain teasers.
    Once upon a time I was creating compression method for binary code, ofcourse conforming to generic methods, but I also wanted to see how I could maximize its effectiveness, and ponder on possible new methods. I really loved playing around with that, constantly trying to look at it from a different angle, putting the process in reverse, looking at the code from both binary as well as a hexadecimal point of view, trying to use different compression keys to layer compress a file so much that it could potentially shrink more than any existing compression tool could!! I did manage to maximize compression quite a bit, but the process was too complex and ardious to be of much practical use, and standard methods would just be much simpler to implement. But the complete immersion of constant thought on an impossible problem, oh good times...

I'm getting nostalgic. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    I've noticed that a lot of you guys are really good at brainteasers. Have you always been good at logic games (brainteasers, chess, Sudoku, etc.) or do you like them enough to persevere until you get good at them?

If you went to one of those crazy Google or Microsoft interviews, how do you think you would fare? Has lateral thinking always come easily to you?
    I'm good at things requiring straight logical thinking and only so-so at lateral thinking puzzles. I either solve lateral thinking puzzles immediately or not. With more logically oriented puzzles, I can be rather OCD about them, once I start, I want to solve the thing.

I've seen some of the sample questions used in Google and Microsoft Interviews and I'm sure I'd fail miserably.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I get passionate with solving puzzles and really enjoy using lateral thinking to do so. In an interview or business meeting I'm sure this is noticeable.

Every interview would be different as it's a relationship between the interviewer and candidate. So don't know how one is going to fare, who the interviewer is and/or their biases. When I was an employee I just did the best I could with interviews.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've always been good at word-based puzzles, and lateral thinking is... well, it's just how I think. Connections and fine verbal/logical distinctions are what I do. "Thinking outside the box" kind of mystifies me, because why on earth would there be a box at all? I don't understand the invisible walls that so many other people seem to think are there. This is probably what makes me bad at following arbitrary instructions, and definitely contributes to a short attention span for simple tasks. Everything is connected to everything else! Excel faffing, logic, red pens, evolutionary psychobabble about berries... have I actually checked the last 50 entries? Bugger!

Things like chess and sudoku bore me though, along with most number-puzzles. I could sit and plan moves in advance, but why on earth would I want to? It's just arranging stuff and obeying set rules. I can't be bothered to do it properly - too much effort when I could be doing something fun. Formal logic is fun to play with, but I just lose interest when you get to QL= and up. Like maths at school, it's something I'm entirely capable of doing well, but I'm not interested enough in it to stick at it long enough.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

How does one think laterally? I try to practice it, but I can't seem to stop thinking linearly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

How does one think laterally? I try to practice it, but I can't seem to stop thinking linearly.
    Well, you're not gonna like this answer. But it's just natural to those that do. It just happens.

I can give a lot of examples of how it works, like spotting patterns, connecting ideas, recognizing the full spectrum of what something is, rather than just the normal definition. We have a web of knowledge and all things are interconnected by many little strings, and when we think about one thing, we sense all the strings attached to it as well.

Still the truth of the matter is that it happens all by itself. Like walking through the web of our knowledge.
    Well, we can ofcourse trigger it too by focusing and concentrating. But that's like driving a car through the web of our knowledge.

U think it's largely to do with how we store our knowledge in our brain. And how we then can tap into it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well, you're not gonna like this answer. But it's just natural to those that do. It just happens.

I can give a lot of examples of how it works, like spotting patterns, connecting ideas, recognizing the full spectrum of what something is, rather than just the normal definition. We have a web of knowledge and all things are interconnected by many little strings, and when we think about one thing, we sense all the strings attached to it as well.

Still the truth of the matter is that it happens all by itself. Like walking through the web of our knowledge.
    Well, we can ofcourse trigger it too by focusing and concentrating. But that's like driving a car through the web of our knowledge.

U think it's largely to do with how we store our knowledge in our brain. And how we then can tap into it.
    How are a tennis ball and the Twin towers were related? Are there any ideas to connect with that question?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

How are a tennis ball and the Twin towers were related? Are there any ideas to connect with that question?
    Lol, random.

The point is that if we think about a subject, we can tap into everything we know that relates to that subject on a sort of unconscious level, and can therefor easily make many bridges and connections, seeing patterns to come to a better understanding of that subject.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Lol, random.

The point is that if we think about a subject, we can tap into everything we know that relates to that subject on a sort of unconscious level, and can therefor easily make many bridges and connections, seeing patterns to come to a better understanding of that subject.
    I've noticed that even though someone with that ability might seem scatterbrained, they end up reaching a relevant answer in a decent period of time instead of being totally thrown off the tracks. Is there a method to the "madness"?

I guess this is why Ne isn't just "random thought".