User Tag List

First 12

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, I'm sure if someone would exclusively use Ne only, that entropie and chaos would no doubt ensue. Ne indiscriminately picks up on any connection or pattern, it's up to the more grounded cognative processes to assign values to the various patterns and create a proper conclusion.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well, I'm sure if someone would exclusively use Ne only, that entropie and chaos would no doubt ensue. Ne indiscriminately picks up on any connection or pattern, it's up to the more grounded cognative processes to assign values to the various patterns and create a proper conclusion.
    Si, correct?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm not really sure, Si if definately part of it for me, concerning value assignment. But Ti has a lot to it as well I guess. But Ti is more focused on relevance, not actual value.

For NTP's Si and Ti, for NFP's Si and Fi. I think.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    We have a web of knowledge and all things are interconnected by many little strings, and when we think about one thing, we sense all the strings attached to it as well.
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks of it like that - people generally look at me as though I'm mad. My mum went o_O when I tried explaining this to her and said it sounded exhausting...
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    How does one think laterally? I try to practice it, but I can't seem to stop thinking linearly.
    Well I think you might be able to train this ability. For me it isually manifests in generating all the possible ideas for a particular problem thru Ne and them using my Ti to figure out witch ones are the most likley to work (or be plausible at all).

So when you encounter a problem of any type the next time instead of just going for the first thing that pops in your head (even though it might be the best idea) think for a minute about what are the possible alternatives. Doing this you tap into Ne.

On a side note I woulden't do that in your situation beacuse it isen't one of your main functions and it would be hard and maybe counterproductive.

I find this happens very naturally and consciously when I encounter almost anything, the ideas just flood my brain and in a conversation I just start spitting them out.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks of it like that - people generally look at me as though I'm mad. My mum went o_O when I tried explaining this to her and said it sounded exhausting...
    This is partly why I got into personality typing - it made me feel as if it was ok to have my intp-ish "oddities." All of my family are sensors, and none are istp.

I don't know if you could train the Ne quality. I wish I could train the quality of keeping my thoughts on task!
    Maybe you could try to take one thing you're really interested in and try to relate everything to that, and then relate them through that. e.g. you're interested in history? Relating Twin Towers should be easy, and go into maybe the origins of tennis and tennis balls and their construction and the industrial revolution. Eventually, I think you'd have to come across something that was similar both ways. Something like physics would be really good to relate things.
    I do have a lot of fun when doing the connection with seemingly unrelated objects, and I assume that's because I'm letting that thought process play around, so I think those would be good for practice.

Anyways, original thread! I first saw it three hours ago and spent those hours going through every interview question for google/microsoft/etc I can find, if that gives you any idea. I started reading books on chess when I was 14, so I've been practicing that a whopping few years, but I love love love chess. I also like sudoku, but I've never been very good at it. I like it enough to complete a book and spend a few hours straight working on puzzles, though. I really like Rubik's cubes if I have the algorithms - my spatial reasoning is bad enough so that I find it hard to work out a logical way to do it and end up guessing and that's no fun. I also love math, although it's a weaker academic point.
    Although I am essentially interested in everything - if you had asked this about literature, physics, or philosophy, my answer would have been similarly rant-y. So, depending on your purpose in asking this, you may want to take it with a grain of salt.
    INTP (Ti>Ne>Ni>Te>Si>Fe>Fi>Se). Rcux|I|. Possible: 5w4, 8w7, 4w5.
    Luckily, liking books too much simply isn't possible. (Let's ignore the idea that "too much" is subjective.)