User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    nfj
    Enneagram

Default ENTPs and Authority

The ENTP with whom I work seems to always be sucking up to authority figures. He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others with the authority figures and with subordinates and colleagues on an equal level he seems to be always either indirectly threatening to report some minor and I mean really thing they did to someone more senior. I am an INFJ who have no particular respect for authority; I thought that ENTPs were likely to be a bit anti-authority too only to find that not even the ISFJs I know seem to be sycophantic and obsequious with authority. What is going on here? Is this some kind of shadow ENTP behavior linked to fourth function Si?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Ten View Post
    The ENTP with whom I work seems to always be sucking up to authority figures. He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others with the authority figures and with subordinates and colleagues on an equal level he seems to be always either indirectly threatening to report some minor and I mean really thing they did to someone more senior. I am an INFJ who have no particular respect for authority; I thought that ENTPs were likely to be a bit anti-authority too only to find that not even the ISFJs I know seem to be sycophantic and obsequious with authority. What is going on here? Is this some kind of shadow ENTP behavior linked to fourth function Si?
    Layers on this post.

ENTP's despise authority, on the grounds they feel individual action is important.

ENTP's love authority, on grounds they want people to act like them.

Example: they suck up to upper management, to gain higher ground to influence more people. The influence being... Don't listen to me.

It's an ironic thing.

Also, im drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten
    He seems to be forever carrying news and gossiping about others
    So you came online to gossip about a guy who gossips.
    Sure, that makes sense.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

entp are the most rational of rational in that element. it's only perceived as a suck up. if it was visa versa, the other may see it as a suck up when, the whole time, they're neutral. they get along for the sake of civilization. because civilization is rational.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Layers on this post.

ENTP's despise authority, on the grounds they feel individual action is important.

ENTP's love authority, on grounds they want people to act like them.

Example: they suck up to upper management, to gain higher ground to influence more people. The influence being... Don't listen to me.....
    I'd tend to agree, when I think of the ENTP's I know. None of them particularly like authority, but they know how to "play the game", or so they say. They see the advantages of getting on the boss's good side, just for when it may come in handy. They probably don't see any benefit in getting on their bad side, for good reason.

Although I did have one ENTP friend that just genuinely looked up and admired his INTJ boss. It's another possibility.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Thats not a entp problem. Thats a problem of enneagram 6 and enneagram 3.

I never suck up to authority unless it serves some purpose.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

MBTI won't be able to answer your question because MBTI is not psychology, it is a technology.

It is not concerned with why a person chooses an end, It is only concerned with how they arrive at it via the 4 dimensions.

I see this bigotry everywhere. That a certain MBTI type should, could and will act a certain way. And then when the evidence shows otherwise, they start to massage the definitions of MBTI to make the picture fit.

MBTI types are not categories to generalize people.

That ENTP, is a very insecure dipshit who uses fear and intimidation to get his promotions, not on his own merits. Why? Because he knows that he is already at a job that he cannot do confidently. Accept this, and move along accordingly.

If you express this issue with his superiors, and nothing is done, then the management cancer goes all the way up. Perhaps not by intent, but by indifference. Tyrants looooove indifference people. Watch out.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not buying that they are 'just playing the game', at least not all of the time. I do think that ENTP tends to challenge authority, but will ultimately fall in line when pressure is applied.. not as a function of clever Ti, but tertiary Fe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

They do things if they make sense to them. Only.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

When I bring information about things my subordinates are doing to the person I work for, it's to seek advice for the best way to handle it because I have a lot of respect for the person I work for.