• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Thoughts on my type (INTP)?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am inclined to think you are biased. Can you back this up with reasoning and examples? Are INTP's too "rational" to believe in fairies? Are you suggesting there can be no explanation for their existence which in any way resembles rational?
Saying absence of Ti tells me you are implying I am illogical. Or am I misinterpreting?

I'm pretty sure my reasoning in interpreting what hierarchy my CFs should be in based on the descriptions awhile back is an example of using Ti. Or do I have faulty definitions of Ti and logic?
You mention astrology in the OP, but that's just a small example. Before you object to that, have it known I figured for an INFP before you made this thread, the OP carries little weight.

It's not as if NFs are incapable of logical reasoning, it's just what not drives them. Understanding things is not logic.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok. But you didn't really explain.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the purpose of the thread is to convince me, and you haven't given me anything remotely convincing or answered any of my questions. I don't see you using logic or exhibiting Ti either.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the purpose of the thread is to convince me, and you haven't given me anything remotely convincing or answered any of my questions. I don't see you using logic or exhibiting Ti either.

I don't see the point of convincing you, you won't believe it anyway. The purpose of me posting here is for everyone else.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well you haven't provided anything convincing for anyone else either. You haven't provided any reasoning at all. You have provided several premises and failed to illustrate how they connect. Your argument comes down to A, not B, C implies B, therefore D. This argument can't be proven invalid, but the truth of the premises is not established either. And you don't know I wouldn't believe it. I do in fact possess the ability to evaluate an argument if it is clear. Try me.

rav3n

because being ethical is very important to me. (Actually not so much anymore, I'm more of a relativist now).
Fi.

inner harmony.
Fi.
And be happy, healthy, fit, and have a lot of fun. I want to experience a lot of cool things and have good relationships, and excel at a lot of things.
NFness.

-I played the part of Kore/Persephone in a ritual and everyone thought I did an amazing job. They said that the beauty and grace of the dance I did with Pan touched them on a deep level, helping them connect to their own divine energy and have greater harmony with their sexuality. I felt beautiful and enchanting. It made me feel really good that I could have such a positive effect on people, and that I did a good job.
NFness.
-basically situations in which I excel- getting good grades in school, when I won an art award, finishing a 5k number 5 in my age group, dancing well, being well liked and admired in social situations; also having a positive effect on others using my talents-
NFness.

Failure. Everything comes down to failure or success, and perfectionism.

Honestly I think I make decisions with my intuition. I decide what feels right,
Fi to the max.
then balance it with advantages/disadvantages, benefits/costs, future investment value, what makes sense, feasibility, how I feel about it and whether it will make me happy or whether I'll hate it, etc.
Te.
I try to avoid making decisions which might have an effect on other people.
Fi.

I like to work on my own projects, and my emphasis is on the quality of the final project and how well it expresses my ideas. Naturally I like to have control of the outcome.
Fi and Te.

I remember feelings really well (even though I'm not very good at dealing with them).
NFness.

I am very good at remembering what I see, read, hear, etc.
Si.

Recently I went to a concert with the guy I'm seeing and my cousin and her boyfriend. The ride there was fun, listening to music and talking and laughing. The concert was awesome and the energy was really exciting. I loved dancing to the music with my guy and being silly.
Ne and something else.

I have a lot of fun by myself too, but usually it's with my imaginary friends...
INFP to the core.

Too lazy to blow up the rest of your post. This should be enough.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well you haven't provided anything convincing for anyone else either.

Oh, I have. There are two types of posters on this forum. Those that will look at the type you listed and take it at face value. A small percentage of posters will remember this thread and wonder how accurate the type is.

As to the rest, I don't care to try. That said, I don't dislike you or anything. I actually find you pretty interesting and good poster. I hope you stick around.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi.

Fi.
NFness.

NFness.
NFness.

Fi to the max.
Te.
Fi.

Fi and Te.

NFness.

Si.

Ne and something else.

INFP to the core.

Too lazy to blow up the rest of your post. This should be enough.

Fair enough. Good assessment. I think there are just as many things I have mentioned which point to other functions, other things which dominate these, and things I have read which would attribute these to other functions and types, but that will have to wait for later.

What about the fact that my main goal in life is to know Ultimate Truth rather than find meaning or serve humanity? And the fact that I am willing to sacrifice any and all of my attachments and value judgments in pursuit of this? As in, objective vs. subjective, big picture vs. moral judgements, leaving emotion and feeling entirely out of things, etc.? There is a reason inner harmony came last in that list. Enlightenment came first. I only really seek inner harmony because I have learned the hard way no one really functions optimally without it.

Ok, INFP anyone else?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about the fact that the description of INTP in the grip of inferior Fe describes every single thing that makes me angry or insecure and how I react in these situations 100%?

And why do I get into arguments with my INFP friends telling them to look at the big picture and be more objective?

Edit: I was actually a little confused and combining two things I read, inferior function in INTP and this description of the type: http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

The description I thought was me 100% (make that 95% now), and at the time that I read about inferior Fe I thought it fit me 100% too. Now I can see myself a lot in inferior Te as well. I'm beginning to think I really am INXP, but my Ti doesn't like that.

Last edited:

rav3n

I'm not trying to embarrass or expose you. If anything, I'm trying to help you type yourself which is the purpose of this thread unless I'm mistaken. It's just obvious to me that you're not an INTP and very likely, are an INFP.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone who feels qualified to tell you what your type is based on a handful of posts doesn't know enough about type to merit listening to. Typology 101.
You probably have as good an understanding of type as anyone else who has posted in this thread.
Cognitive function theories (there are more than one) are bullshit, on the whole.
The most interesting/well-rounded people can be nigh on impossible to type and never have "textbook" CF orders.
MBTI is a tool for self-understanding. It is not (or at least should not be) a badge for access into a club.
MacGuffin is trolling you, just ignore him.
:)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You are not a quintessential INTP or quintessential any other type for that matter, which is pretty clear.

But it seems they base the fact you are an INFP, because your test results are rather random, and that may indicate Fi. Fi strives for integrity and consistency in it's ideals, as a result Fi has a tendency to answer questions on a test conforming those set ideals which can overlap with tendencies of other functions, so that can lead to answering differently.

But I don't really think it's that simple. There are also some things you've said that don't seem INFP to me at all.

It's true your Ti is not pouring out from you, but this is an entirely new subject to you, causing you to have reservations. Makes it very hard for your Ti to come out. So that's perfectly explainable. I'm still behind my latest earlier assumption that you're INTP that uses Te as a shadow function.

I prefer giving you the benefit of the doubt based on your own ability to recognize yourself in the various descriptions. But it's good to keep an open mind and allow for more communication before anyone here, like [MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION] said, can type you effectively. Although, like Salomé insinuates, I don't agree that it is bad for people to share their opinions and observations, wether or not they are right is not the issue, their observations could still share a valuable angle of perception that can lead to useful discoveries. In your case, if they feel you appear Fi, it might just be because you're a bit overwhelmed and aren't really sure what to think, and just need some time to process this all with your Ti and still hold a valuable insight for you. But it might also be because you're Fi. Or that they're plain and simply wrong.

It's up to you to read up and try to understand the various functions and their workings to see which of the two you really are.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lAlthough, like Salomé insinuates, I don't agree that it is bad for people to share their opinions and observations

No. But it's ridiculous for them to beat her over the head with them.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. But it's ridiculous for them to beat her over the head with them.

I think the question is wether or not she lets them beat her over the head with it. She largely controls the fashion in which she receives the information on this forum. And she can take it however she likes.

Ofcourse, in most cases it is usually best to trust some people here to have a better grasp of these things than you have when you are new. And not shoot them down just because you don't like what they say. That would be so Fi! :alttongue:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ofcourse, in most cases it is usually best to trust some people here to have a better grasp of these things than you have when you are new. And not shoot them down just because you don't like what they say. That would be so Fi! :alttongue:

That would be very naive, considering the quality of contributions to this thread.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would be very naive, considering the quality of contributions to this thread.

It would be naive to think they are always right. It's not naive to think they could be right. >.>

You think in such extremes! :p

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You said:
It is usually best to trust some people here to have a better grasp of these things than you have
I could not disagree more.

That does not make me an extremist.

People who say idiotic things like "you said this and therefore you are that", or "I haven't seen any evidence that you are my type, ergo you are not" are extremists.
AKA Typo-Nazis.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You said:

I could not disagree more.

That does not make me an extremist.

People who say idiotic things like "you said this and therefore you are that", or "I haven't seen any evidence that you are my type, ergo you are not" are extremists.
AKA Typo-Nazis.

Fair enough. I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions about me, wether they are wrong or right, I always enjoy figuring out why they think like they do and how I can use that to my advantage. I just have a different perspective on it. ^^

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough. I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions about me, wether they are wrong or right, I always enjoy figuring out why they think like they do and how I can use that to my advantage. I just have a different perspective on it. ^^

OK. I think you're an INFP. No INTP would use that av or include "fluffy" in their handle.

Helpful? Or inane?