• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Thoughts on my type (INTP)?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an Fi dom and to me, that first description of Ti sounds a lot like how I use Fi. In fact, introverted judging (in my opinion) in general is mostly about mental frameworks, evaluating on principals, and checking for inconsistency, that's not something that's limited to thinking, or excluded from feeling.

Something I find strange is that, in the two descriptions that you posted, Ti is the one that contains the word 'principles' while Fi has the word 'truths'; normally it's the other way around, where Ti is concerned with objective truths, and Fi is about internal principles. Where did you find those descriptions?

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/

And from http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTP_per.html :

"People with the INTP personality type are global thinkers. They see everything as one giant Entity that is connected, and seek knowledge about that Entity. They constantly seek the Truth, and have ultimate respect for the Truth. It is not easy for the INTP to reach a conclusion about the Truth. Their auxiliary function of Extraverted Intuition allows them to absorb the many complexities in our world, and they are driven to consider each of these complexities before reaching a conclusion. Once they have reached a conclusion, or discovered a Truth, they are *very* particular about the way that Truth is expressed and understood. They want to know that the principles of their understanding have been understood correctly, and demand absolute precision and correctness from others when describing these principles. They also apply these standards to themselves when communicating their knowledge. If they take the time to develop their communication so that it meets their own approval, they can be extremely good educational writers."

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also it says
INFP's are easy going and laid back until one of their values is threatened.
INTP's are easy going and laid back until one of their principles is threatened.

Over and over in descriptions of INTP and Ti I've seen the word principles.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My reasoning and use of "principles" has to do with (objective, underlying) principles upon which the world works; and the way I conduct myself (following principles which produce harmony which is mostly external) is always congruent with these. If I find myself incongruent because of emotion, I will see myself and my emotion in error.

It was my impression that INFP's do it the other way around.

INTP (Fe) ethics work from the outside in, and INFP (Fi) ethics work from the inside out.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally think the second one is more me. My emotions tend to be unreliable and I try to leave them out of things.

Hmm, in my Ti reasoning, my emotions don't play any roll, wether they are reliable or not. My Ti doesn't care.

You're raising some interesting points, I'm sure it won't be long now until you can reach an understanding of your true self!

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] What is your enneagram tritype and stacking?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, in my Ti reasoning, my emotions don't play any roll, wether they are reliable or not. My Ti doesn't care.

Well, mine don't play a role in Ti reasoning either. What I mean is that in life in general they are unreliable to produce good results for me if I act on them. To the extent that they inspire me to be assertive they are useful. But in order to really function well, I have to completely disengage from them and operate from an objective standpoint.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] What is your enneagram tritype and stacking?

I advised her to try and get a better understanding of her MBTI type before going to ennegram. Ennegram is quite a bit tougher to really figure out because you often can easily relate to many of the different types. I thought I was E5 for a very long time, because in my experience, I thought thinking was the most important part about me, but now I can't believe I never realized I was actually a 9, which makes much more sense on a more unconscious level. It's just easy to conform to the 5 for INTP's because their Ne picks up on it being the most obvious one rather easy.

I've been told that MBTI is much more conscious, and Enneagram is much more unconscious. And from recent observations I can't agree more with that. But it also makes it very hard to self-type.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I advised her to try and get a better understanding of her MBTI type before going to ennegram. Ennegram is quite a bit tougher to really figure out because you often can easily relate to many of the different types. I thought I was E5 for a very long time, because in my experience, I thought thinking was the most important part about me, but now I can't believe I never realized I was actually a 9, which makes much more sense on a more unconscious level. It's just easy to conform to the 5 for INTP's because their Ne picks up on it being the most obvious one rather easy.

I've been told that MBTI is much more conscious, and Enneagram is much more unconscious. And from recent observations I can't agree more with that. But it also makes it very hard to self-type.

Very good point, and if she doesn't already have the background in understanding Enneagram then I do agree with you; I was just asking on the off-chance that she was aware of what Enneatype she is, since that could be telling. I'm looking through some older posts now to try and make a more informed (and hopefully informative!) point.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Haha I don't know. All over the place once again. Big surprise. 3,4,5,6, and 7;
3 more than 4, 5 more than 6 or maybe 5 and 6 equally. I had the results somewhere...I'll take it again.
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 42%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 26%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 66%

type score type behavior motivation
3 17 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
6 17 I must be secure and safe to survive.
7 17 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
5 16 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
9 16 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
8 13 I must be strong and in control to survive.
4 12 I must be unique/different to survive.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha I don't know. All over the place once again. Big surprise. 3,4,5,6, and 7;
3 more than 4, 5 more than 6 or maybe 5 and 6 equally. I had the results somewhere...I'll take it again.
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||| 42%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 26%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 4 Individualism |||||||||||| 50%
Type 5 Intellectualism |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 6 Security Focus |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 66%

type score type behavior motivation
3 17 I must be impressive and attractive to survive.
6 17 I must be secure and safe to survive.
7 17 I must be fun and entertained to survive.
5 16 I must be knowledgeable to survive.
9 16 I must maintain peace/calm to survive.
8 13 I must be strong and in control to survive.
4 12 I must be unique/different to survive.

It's normal for ennegram types to be all over the place. Most of the times test results are nothing more then mere indicators, further introspection is almost always required to eventually find your enneagram, unless you're lucy off the bat. :p

First impression though, 6w5 the defender.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you're trying too hard to fit something you find attractive.

That way self-delusion, not enlightenment, lies.
Could be. But if I am INFP and I am to be consistent with what I value, I value knowledge of ultimate truth and logic above all else. So acting like INTP who is said to value these is in my best interest. See the paradox?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime, Enneagram 3s (which I think you are) seem to have a problem detecting their mbti type because they are just so flexible, that it's like they don't have a core. A very smart Enneagram 3 once told me that her core is flexibility. :huh:
Just giving some food for thought.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ime, Enneagram 3s (which I think you are) seem to have a problem detecting their mbti type. They are just so flexible, that it's like they don't have a core. A very smart Enneagram 3 once told me that her core is flexibility. :huh:
Just giving some food for thought.

Haha sounds like me. Maybe I'm a 3. I do feel like in order to survive and optimize my chances for success I need to be able to do and be anything which a circumstance might require. That's been my general approach to living life.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of the enneagrams will "sound like you". :p

Here's a description of 3:

Type Three in Brief
Threes are self-assured, attractive, and charming. Ambitious, competent, and energetic, they can also be status-conscious and highly driven for advancement. They are diplomatic and poised, but can also be overly concerned with their image and what others think of them. They typically have problems with workaholism and competitiveness. At their Best: self-accepting, authentic, everything they seem to be—role models who inspire others.

Basic Fear: Of being worthless
Basic Desire: To feel valuable and worthwhile
Enneagram Three with a Two-Wing: "The Charmer"
Enneagram Three with a Four-Wing: "The Professional"
Key Motivations: Want to be affirmed, to distinguish themselves from others, to have attention, to be admired, and to impress others.

I can't find a proper description of 3w4 at the moment.

Here's 6:

Type Six in Brief
The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion. At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.

Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support
Enneagram Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender"
Enneagram Six with a Seven-Wing: "The Buddy"
Key Motivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity.

And 6w5: (long one)

The Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender", By Riso and Hudson: Personality Types

The traits of the Six and those of the Five are in some degree of conflict with each other. The general orientation of Fives is toward detachment from people so that they can avoid being influenced by anyone. Sixes and Fives are both looking for safety, but Sixes look to alliances with others and commitment to systems of though for security, while Fives tend to retreat from others and to tinker with, or even dismantle, established systems of thought. Both tendencies exist in the Six with a Five-wing, producing a subtype which sees itself as fighting for the "little person," while at the same time being drawn to systems, alliance,s and beliefs which often contain strong authoritarian elements. Sixes with a Five-wing can seem like Ones because they are serious, self-controlled, and committed to specific moral, ethical, and political beliefs. Like Eights, they can also be rather outspoken and passionate in the expression of their beliefs, with less concern about being liked than the Sxi with a Seven-wing.

Healthy people of this subtype combine the Sixes capacity for organization and personal engagement with the Five's perceptiveness and curiosity. They may have a strong intellectual streak, depending on how much the Five-wing is in their overall personality. Healthy Sixes with a Five-wing often develop technical expertise and are valued as practical problem solvers; they are good communicators, educators, and pundits. They are also attracted to professions such as medicine, law, and engineering; they desire to master a sy stem of knowledge but within a field where the rules and parameters are established and known. They often get involved with political causes and community service. There is a strong identification with the underdog, and Sixes with a Five-wing may become the spokespeople or champions for groups or individuals they see as disadvantaged. Sixes with a Five-wing possess greater powers of concentration and focus than the other subtype, although they can sometimes be perceived as too narrow in their concerns. They are usually shrewed observers of the environment, particularly people, and put a premium on foresight and predicting how others will react. Their perceptions are more original than those of Sixes with a Seven-wing, but because Six is the basic type, they do come across not as intellectuals but as extremely competent, knowledgeable individuals.

The anxiety we see in average Sixes also causes people of this subtype to be more intense than Sixes with a Seven-wing. Sixes with a Five-wing are more independent than Sixes with a Seven-wing, and are less likely to go to others for reassurance, advice, or to solve their problems. They may have one or two mentors or confidants, but in most cases they will "gut out" their problems and anxieties alone. They can be very hardworking and loyal to the systems or people with whom they have identified, but this can lead to strong partisan stances and a competitiveness with rivals. Persons of this subtype tend to be constricted in the expression of their emotions, and are usually more detached, cerebral, and pessimistic. The Five-wing also adds a tendency toward secretiveness adn compartmentalization which fuels the suspisciousness of the average Six. As their insecurities escalate, they tend to see the world as dangerous. They become more reactive and aggressive, and will denounce or scapegoat any perceived threat to their security. They see others as potential enemies and fear that people may be conspiring to ruin them. Ironically, they may respond by hatching plots against others.

Unhealthy persons of this subtype become increasingly paranoid and obsessed with maintaining their security, and may go to great lengths to protect their positions. They are extremely needy, and may abuse alcohol or drugs as a way of dealing with anxiety and paranoid delusions, as well as of bolstering their inferioirty feelings. The Five-wing adds elements of cynicism and nihilism to the fearful mentality of the unhealthy Six, resulting in growing isolation, desperation, and a capacity for sociopathic actions. Intense stress will likely lead to outbreaks of rage and extremely destructive behavior accompanied by breaks with reality. Self-sabotaging, self-destructive actions bring about humiliation and punishment to atone for guilt, although the extent and nature of their self-destructiveness will be hidden from others because of their reclusive nature. There may be strong propensity for violence as well as sadomasochistic tendencies in sexual expression. Murder and suicide are both real possibilities.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Could be. But if I am INFP and I am to be consistent with what I value, I value knowledge of ultimate truth and logic above all else. So acting like INTP who is said to value these is in my best interest. See the paradox?

Not really. Just call yourself INxP and be done with it. It's not that important. Really.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really. Just call yourself INxP and be done with it. It's not that important. Really.

But people that end up with INxP are INFP like 90% of all cases! :p

(mostly meant jokingly, but just saying INTP's aren't likely to just decide on being indescisive, especially since trying to find out what type they are fuels them with energy, so why give up? xD)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess she must be an INTP after all then...

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It certainly fuels me with energy because I want an definite answer supported by flawless reasoning and irrefutable evidence, and I am unable to stop looking for one until I find it. It's a compulsion haha. Why do you think I've been at it for a year? I have to continually evaluate the evidence and reasoning as I am presented with new information and new perspectives.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thoughts on your type, it's my type too.

Secondary thoughts on INTP... -

INTP or not...
We're all equal.
No one chose to be born.
We all have potential.
Fuck the world.
Be you, be true.
You only live once, until it's proven otherwise, this is something I've got to bear in mind.

The stuff I notice, is a lot of random shit :rofl1:

Like... Frito Lays are Walker's Crisps, or, ACTUALLY... Walker's Crisps are Frito Lays.

You ever go to Europe or America... Or any other country/part of the world for that matter, it's like stepping into an alternate universe just walking around the freaking super market sometimes; like.... Same stuff different name same logo. diffrent recipe, and stuff, it's crazy, but; Cool. :)