• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Fs And Emotional Manipulation: Why Do Some Do This?

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And what are the reason(s)? What would the drives behind this?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Hell, we all use a feeling preference. All T's use either Fe or Fi in their top four functions. Given this, I'd throw the question out there to both T's and F's and their use of emotional manipulation. And we all engage in emotional manipulation to some degree.

What I think is a more interesting question is what is the difference between Fe and Fi emotional manipulation. I bet there are noticeable differences.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe manipulation: mirroring the other person's agenda and adding a dash of your own to get them over to your side without conflict.

Fi manipulation: Taking a higher stance on a norm, being the odd man out, and doing it without with your being and your likes and dislikes (going to a party and not drinking) to make people feel odd.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe manipulation: mirroring the other person's agenda and adding a dash of your own to get them over to your side without conflict.

Fi manipulation: Taking a higher stance on a norm, being the odd man out, and doing it without with your being and your likes and dislikes (going to a party and not drinking) to make people feel odd.

I do both of those, but I didn't think the second one was manipulation at all; I don't do it to make people feel uncomfortable, I just don't want to conform. I try not to be manipulative, and I hate it when other people do. Let's just be honest.

And the first I don't really do to be manipulative either, because I do it in such a way that the other person is aware of what I'm up to. Like being rebellious, having an attitude, play pouting, showing how independent I am so the other person will pay attention to me (ok just a little passive aggressive); but I'll always be open and honest if the other person wants to talk.

Emotional manipulation by trying to put me on a guilt trip is one of my biggest pet peeves.