User Tag List

View Poll Results: Poll question.

9. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am able to understand the feelings of others, however I prioritize reason.

6 66.67%
  • I am able to understand the feelings of others, affect my judgments.

0 0%
  • I am not able to understand the feelings of others.

2 22.22%
  • I am not an NT.

1 11.11%

Thread: People and feelings.

Junior Member Array

Default People and feelings.

NTs, just wondering how you guys direct your ability to empathize and relate to people.

2nd option should say. I am able to understand the feelings of others, and allow them to affect my judgments. Sorry, it's late and I'm derping.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

My response is mixed. I am able to understand the feelings of others only if the feelings are obvious, or I know the person well. In other cases, my assessment is likely to be wrong. I rely on reason in making judgments, in large part because it is the only thing I really can rely upon, since the feelings data often have a low confidence level.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

How am I supposed to answer when it depends on different cases/situations. I may prioritize reason or I may let their feelings affect me or even both. And in some cases, I may never understand the other person's feelings. Although if you're polling NTs, there may be a bias towards the first answer just because it says "reason." But who's to say letting feelings affect you isn't a type of reasoning?

I create models of how other people's minds work within my own mind. These include, to some degree, their feelings. I refrain from trying to feel their feelings, however, because that would invade their privacy and make me feel filthy.