• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do NTs ask stupid questions?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, questions that are likely to be perceived as stupid by the general populace. The sort that you ask, and everyone laughs, until somebody with enough Fe says, "Come now, there's no such thing as a stupid question."

I've often found myself asking questions about things that are 'obvious' to everybody else. And I find that when I ask these questions, I don't usually get an adequate response. It's just a regurgitation of what they said before, and if I was asking for clarification, well, how is that supposed to help? You don't clarify things by just repeating them!

I have a feeling that with the way NTs tend to think, they might end up overanalyzing and thus ask these sorts of 'stupid questions.'

So? Familiar experience? Or is this just me?

heart

heart on fire
It is better to ask for clarification when needed than to make assumptions. There may be repetitive questions asked but it is all relative, it is far stupider to make assumptions in silence! ;)

I am not annoyed by most questions because they are an attempt to understand.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do that all of the time! (just ask the people on vent sometimes :dry:) I'd really rather just ask a question and know something than shut up and not know. Curiosity is a good thing IMO and I will happily sacrifice pride in order to understand things better.

And you're right! It usually IS the Fe dominant people who assure you that there are no stupid questions!

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Obvious questions like "Have you checked your purse?" when someone has misplaced keys or glasses or "Have you tried rebooting?" when the computer crashes.

My all-time favorite "Are we out of eggs?" [How many places could those be?]

Me - "I don't know have you checked the fridge?"

Jae Rae

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have no problem with people who ask questions, but I find that some NTs "ask" questions really in an attempt to defend their positions on said "questions".

I believe that sincere questions, and question asking should be made from a receptive position, but as I type this out I realize that I too am guilty of asking questions only to shoot down what I find to be erroneous or unsatisfactory answers. Whoops! :blush:

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not just you.

While this phenomena may predominate amongst NT's, I don't know if it is limited to NT's. (e.g., I imagine ISTP's often find themselves in similar situations.)

If there is one thing I know about people in general, it is that they neglect, avoid, resist, and deny reason. People would rather try to create meaning apart from reason than let reason inform them as to what is meaningful. So when the NT, hungry for rational justification, presses another to explain why he believes as he does, he finds only empty words, mere noises that the other attempts to use to prop himself up over and against reason in order to retain some degree of autonomy.

*gets off soap box*

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
What seems obvious might not necessarily be true. The obvious (and stupid sounding) questions to me is the first place to look for answers. People make far too many assumptions.

Addressing Jae's set of questions... If there's a problem, I believe the first thing to do is to check for the most likely (and simple) sources. So for missing keys... your purse, a computer not working... the connections, power source etc. I'm sure most people would have done all of that by themselves before asking. But some don't... and besides it helps get my brain working on the problem by starting with simple things first and observing feedbacks.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
If I have a question, even if it seems silly, I'll usually ask it. I think with NTs, we see so many sides or possibilities of interpretation, that it's better to clarify that we're on the same page as the person who's talking. Just to make sure we're not off on some completely different thing.

I sometimes, as CC mentioned, will ask a question just to make someone think about what they're claiming a little more. Because it's easier and less conflict-inducing than saying, "Idiot! That makes no sense!" :smile:

In college, I would sometimes ask questions if I felt like the teacher wasn't being clear, even if I could still follow what they were talking about. I did that because I've never minded asking questions, and most people are too shy or embarrassed to ask, even if they're really confused.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My ENFJ friend might think I do .. I did a big 5 test with him, and I had him laughing and nodding at one statement in my results.. "asks questions no-one else does" :yes:

Well I sure do.. I use them to rule out some assumptions that might go wrong. I want to know, not to fill in the gaps with my prejudices.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Addressing Jae's set of questions... If there's a problem, I believe the first thing to do is to check for the most likely (and simple) sources. So for missing keys... your purse, a computer not working... the connections, power source etc. I'm sure most people would have done all of that by themselves before asking. But some don't... and besides it helps get my brain working on the problem by starting with simple things first and observing feedbacks.

OK, always interesting to hear how an NT thinks about things. :) From now on I'll try to take these questions as springboards for thought.

My INTJ friend says she makes a point of asking about anything she doesn't understand - she knows she's smart, so she knows she's not asking a stupid question. Co-workers come up to her after presentations and thank her for asking something they didn't know either.

Jae Rae

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Yes. But the general populace are wrong.

Our inevitable genius proves this.

As in; sooner or later, we're bound to get lucky.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Is it socially acceptable to stare at blind people?

Questions like that?

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Recently I asked a group of my peers what the point of couples holding hands was. I pointed out that there is absolutely no reason for it, and asked for a logical explanation.

They just laughed, and someone said "Because you want to." Lame. But I guess they thought it was a stupid question, because they were stumped.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it socially acceptable to stare at blind people?

Well, it's not like the blind guy can see you, right? :huh:

Recently I asked a group of my peers what the point of couples holding hands was. I pointed out that there is absolutely no reason for it, and asked for a logical explanation. They just laughed, and someone said "Because you want to." Lame. But I guess they thought it was a stupid question, because they were stumped.

I remember asking lots of questions like that... until I fell in love for the first time.

Most people don't go through a rational process in order to implement a reaction, they just react to what they're feeling. But the INT's are especially likely to analyze a response rather than feeling it and before ever allowing themselves to act upon it.

I don't think either way is particularly bad. The latter is able to step outside the box and make sure that the reactions are appropriate; the former acts in a more holistic fashion, actually LIVING rather than thinking about living.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, it's not like the blind guy can see you, right? :huh:

Well, you know, the blind guy can't see so he won't mind, but the other people around you would notice and think that you were being rude, although the blind guy wouldn't notice.

It causes a somewhat sticky situation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, you know, the blind guy can't see so he won't mind, but the other people around you would notice and think that you were being rude, although the blind guy wouldn't notice.

Hmm. Okay, maybe you can pretend you're blind too, so everyone feels bad for you as well.

Figured out that these are all throwaway answers yet? ;)

(IRL, I don't usually stare at anyone, especially if I know others are watching me do it, and I often act casual as not to make people uncomfortable; and the only reason I ever would watch someone like that is not as an oddity but because I truly would want to understand them without intruding.)