First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, questions that are likely to be perceived as stupid by the general populace. The sort that you ask, and everyone laughs, until somebody with enough Fe says, "Come now, there's no such thing as a stupid question."

I've often found myself asking questions about things that are 'obvious' to everybody else. And I find that when I ask these questions, I don't usually get an adequate response. It's just a regurgitation of what they said before, and if I was asking for clarification, well, how is that supposed to help? You don't clarify things by just repeating them!

I have a feeling that with the way NTs tend to think, they might end up overanalyzing and thus ask these sorts of 'stupid questions.'

So? Familiar experience? Or is this just me?

I recognize this a lot. Especially when I was younger I used to ask these "stupid" questions from time to time. I've kind of learned to adapt to other people and shut myself up when I feel the urge of asking "stupid" questions come up.
    For an example, i'm a good electrician, and then everybody expects me to be "the handyman" and be able to fix cars and the like. I hate cars.
    And I can't tell the difference from rear-view mirror and an exhaust system. OK, exaggeration, but you get the point.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    May I ask a dumb question?

WTF ever could lead you to deductively believe common sense is non existent?

Ask ANY NT or NF whether common sense exists and they will categorically tell you it does.
    Common sense in one way, doesn't exist.
    Common sense is non-existent in this manner, because "common" seems too broad for me... in global terms, anyway. We were meant to learn something, but
    some may not have grasped the exact knowledge at the exact time...
    Their attention could have shifted somewhere else, for example.

Also if you are referring to common sense as a matter of survival, I believe we adapted, from that common sense :to survive. So it exists in that context.
    Se, Ne, Ti, Fi
    I must be a freak of nature, according to the MBTI. I kinda like this.

MBTI
    JIxT

My questions come out wrong and get misinterpreted as stupid. I have trouble forming verbal patterns on the spot, so my questions often get mangled.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    May I ask a dumb question?

WTF ever could lead you to deductively believe common sense is non existent?

Ask ANY NT or NF whether common sense exists and they will categorically tell you it does.
    Oh yeah?

Common sense does not exist.

Logic exists. Common sense is an oxymoron.

MBTI
    INFP

Your interpretation of the word sense is too specific, Duke.

Common sense... common perception...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I love it when a question answers itself by its very existence.

I keed, I keed! Seriously, I think NTs may ask so-called stupid questions until they experience the social consequences often enough to be wary of asking any more.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Your interpretation of the word sense is too specific, Duke.

Common sense... common perception...
    I think yours is too broad. When people say "common sense," they are referring to logic as if it is common. They are not saying that "everybody has senses."

MBTI
    INFP

Ah, I was thinking of common knowledge.

MBTI
    INTJ

I remember in primary school I used to ask teachers questions, just to see if they knew the correct answer. It was fun to see how some teachers would admit they didn't know the answer and others would give you an answer that didn't make sense.

I generally never hesitate to ask questions about things I don't understand. When on a lecture I even think it's very motivating for the lecturer to receive good questions, because it's a way to show that you are listening. I'm surprised how many people never ask questions on lectures and afterwards admit that they didn't quite understand what the professor was saying.

I realise you're probably not expecting a response to this, but there has been plenty of research into this. I saw it on an alternative therapies program in the UK with Prof. Kathy Sykes. I spent an hour or so looking for the video, but I can't seem to find it. It's something along the lines of, knowing someone you care about is holding your hand means that the same parts of the brain react the same way it does when feeling safe and secure. Whereas a stranger holding your hand would have very little effect.

that is cool stuff paul... i'm doing research on dopamine .. release at the moment.. to do with anxiety.. control and reward... trying to scientifically.. gather facts to support the *better* (in a long-term sense) style of rewarding with internal things.. rather than material-external rewards.. in long term mental stability.. peace.. happiness etc..

psychology....... always facinating..

nice to meet you.. am following you for a minute.. hope you don't mind.. am trying to learn personalities a little .. in this myers briggs style.. to see the different varieties.. and
    whether it .. this dimensions of grading personality.. I-E N-S F-T S-P are as useful as i think they may be.. mm... don't like to *type* people though.. seems a little classing.. but is a necessary.. to group into understanding at times.. otherwise.. well. things would be all over the shop i guess... no understanding could be reached that can be easily applied.. recognised.. mm...

ok .. ciao bello... nice to meet everyone ... *wave* and *smiles* xxx lis : ))