User Tag List

123 Last

Default ISTP and ENTP differences

Can you guys give me some ideas about the differences between the two?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

There's an engineer in my office who I think is ISTP. He likes joking I notice because he laughs. Also appears to enjoy short conversation. Except there always seems to be something sort of off about him. After short talks he quickly seems to slip into some non-emo equilibrium like a pendulum to a magnet. Actually now that I think more about that, I think it's a seriousness not an equilibrium. He seems maybe irked, wait...maybe that's because....I just had a thought..a friend told me his gf remarked something about me..said his gf finds me attractive....Never mind, I'm uncertain now.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

One of my best friends and housemates is an ISTP dude. We've got very similar senses of humour when it comes to a lot of stuff, but his kind of stops when things get too silly/far-fetched and mine stops when things get too gross/crass. So we just stay in those parametres around each other and it's a lot of fun.

I can find him kind of grumpy and negative. And I know he thinks I'm way too upbeat and positive. I laugh a lot, he laughs seldom. He's definitely more serious than I am, but overall a laid-back, funny guy. He's pretty popular among our group of friends. All the girls love him, much to the chagrin of his girlfriend. And he's pretty smooth with the ladies - a good listener, asks meaningful questions and pays meaningful compliments. They all just swoon!

So...pretty similar to ENTPs in that respect. I dunno. Maybe I'll be able to provide more a little later.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Extraversion and intuition are the 2 biggest differences in personality, bigger than feeling and judging. It should be pretty easy to tell apart.

ENTP - Loves to debate and will talk your ear off.
    ISTP - Actions speak louder than words.

That's my opinion.

There are huge differences between ISTP and ENTP. I don't find them being good match in any way in long term. More so toxic. Short term, sure they're fine. Just speaking from experience. There are many threads on this across the internet and most of them say the same. ENTP likes to talk and ISTP wants peace. ENTP will find iSTP boring and ISTP will be annoyed by ENTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Visually:
    for ENTP look under ILE/ENTp: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ortraits-Alpha
    for ISTP look under LSI/ISTj: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...portraits-Beta

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok my ISTPs bff is either INTP or ENTP. They both have Ti, and ISTP is clever and makes these penetrating Ni insights sometimes, and is into history and a little philosophy, but his xNTP best friend is what ISTPs ESFJ mother calls "an idiot savant." meaning that the xNTP best friend is like boy genius book smart and speaks four languages, but seems socially immature, more childlike, etc.

ISTP is physically more centered in doing athletic things, seems older and has more obvious sexual confidence.

However the xNTP best friend could potentially be ENTP because he has his own childish charm, its just that at their age ISTP seems 23 and xNTP seems 16 and they're both approximately 19/20.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Since I accidentally double posted I want to add an addendum here that maturity is relative. Different types mature differently. I want to really point this out so no one gets insulted.

As an SP woman, I can't even fathom sleeping with ISTPs best friend, not only because Im older but even if we we re exactly the same age, even if I were younger than them, Id view xNTP as too much of a child to be a potential lover. In my eyes he is book smart but seems really like a kid to me. To ISTPs ESFJ mother this xNTP young man seems absolutely clueless.

To another SJ, who wasn't the ISTPs mother, an SJ would probably see them both as immature, not being responsible enough for their age. I know. Ive had more than one SJ make comments to me about ISTP.

The thing is I kind of relate to ISTPs maturity progression though. I was the same. Independent and sexually confident at a young age yet fleeing responsibility. I was more worried about my own freedom, image, aesthetics, and learning what I wanted to learn AWAY from any formal schooling.

I remember SJ friends marrying younger or being more consistent at work at a younger age than me. I recall having this close NF friend in my early twenties who had a very mature sense of diplomacy and emotional intelligence that made me seem like a big baby, but I was braver, had an easier time with guys, and was tougher. She helped me by mothering me emotionally and I helped her face reality and get in touch with her sex appeal. I mean she literally started physically looking like a grown woman after a year or two of being close to me, but when we met she was like this repressed virgin girl who played the role of being "the nice fat friend." I totally helped her out of that bullshit and she helped me to be less of a child emotionally.

This is one point at which I believe Keirsey, and where I strongly relate to SP Artisan as in how and what we mature in first.

Just clarifying, because I realized my last post could be taken really badly without proper explanation.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

ENTPs are very idea-driven. He/she insert ideas into a conversation whenever they pop in their heads -- it's part of their charm. You probably wouldn't see an ISTP do this much, even if they do have a lot of their own ideas.

Also, there is a pretty funny quirk I've seen in every ENTP I've met, one that I'm not sure I can communicate without a visual (I would look up a video on YouTube, but I'm too lazy and wouldn't know where to start): If you say something fascinating or something they can't quite grasp, they all do this "Whaaaaaaaa---?!?!?!" exaggerated expression thing. Their eyes get huge, and their mouth drops, and they just look dumb-struck. It's all a little different for each ENTP I've met, but it's still there! It's just this over-exaggerated response they have when they're shocked or suprised. It's pretty hilarious and loveable.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    Visually:
    for ENTP look under ILE/ENTp: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ortraits-Alpha
    for ISTP look under LSI/ISTj: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...portraits-Beta
    Implying all ISTPs are LSI... most ISTPs I know aren't beta at all.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)