• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How do you know an INTP is in love? INTP's please Help!

Elusivity

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTPs don't do that. They are opportunists and they put their own emotional comfort and safety above all. They won't get out of their way to love you, even if they might be having strong feelings for you. They will choose convenience over feeling, logic over emotion. They'll never say "I love you" because they know they cannot accept this statement as true. If they don't know how to trust those feelings, they will fear and avoid them. They will shun you too, because you are the source of turbulence. It's a paradox how their "rational love" prevents them from making promises they cannot keep, mainly because they know they are selfish and that they will eventually hurt you, so they do not want you to get attached to them. And they usually do hurt you.... One day they may disappear, leaving no traces of blood behind. They will assume you'll be fine, you'll just move on and forget about them as they will easily forget about you. They have no guilt because they made no promise. But your heart will have been murdered.

This is a great description of the morass an INTP can descend into in these situations ;D When younger, it was me to a T. Now older and much more in touch with feelings, I am experiencing it from the side. It's frustrating in that I could see exactly what's happening, but there is simply no way to reassure an INTP that everything can work out. They have to develop to know and trust in their own feelings, and that takes both time and experience. (I find ENTPs can have the same issues, but are more likely to do a rapid running back-and-forth, whereas INTP will probably stay away forever.)

Karma's a damn bitch sometimes.

From personal experience, INTP won't necessarily forget about you. Once you proceed to the point where we become emotional, it's actually a HUGE disturbance in our inner world. I used to spend nights unable to sleep because my brain was FREAKING OUT non-stop looping, trying to think itself out of the morass, and have carried the seeds of that freak out, as well as guilt, for years after. Now of course I see the problem: you can't think your way in or out of feelings; you can only go by feel.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting. I couldn't say I was that much like this in relationships. I rarely get into them, because I'm seldom attracted to people - and yes, I'll take convenience over most things, so it's got to be something really exceptional for me to make the effort. (Finding someone attractive can itself be exceptional. :p ) Once I'm in a relationship though, I'm loyal, willing to work on it, and talk issues over instead of just seething. Which takes conscious effort, because baring my soul and intimacy don't come that naturally to me, but it can be done. I'm more sensitive than people tend to think - a flippant remark that hits home will stay with me for years, which is why I'm slow to open my heart to people. I want to be sure. But I'd rather be the one hurting than the one causing the hurt. If I like someone enough to go out with them, then I care about them and want them to be happy, and that goes on after we've split. I don't do jealousy, or clinginess, or over-analysing things, as I tend to take people at face value in that kind of close relationship. I don't tell people I love them unless I'm sure that I do, because I think that's a horrible thing to have to take back.

All that said, it doesn't surprise me when I'm sometimes described as "cold" or "unromantic". I don't believe in soulmates. I work on an assumption that most relationships don't last forever, even if I assume they'll continue until given reason to believe otherwise. I need my space like I need air. I don't want to do everything together - I need my own life and my own friends, really can't cope with joined-at-the-hip. I don't care about hearts and flowers and birthdays - they're nice, but they're basically windowdressing for the actually important things. My standards are high, and they're not that flexible; I have a zero-tolerance policy with bullshit, and I've never regretted it. Friends of mine have sometimes asked me how it is that I don't end up with horrible partners. It's very simple! I just don't let them near me in the first place, or say goodbye if I didn't realise they were failsome! Two strikes and you're out. I really don't understand why this isn't the obvious solution to everyone, but clearly it isn't. :huh: I don't want to be with the kind of person who'll play games, or manipulate, or guilt trip, or be clingy and overly needy, or require me to fit into "feminine" roles, or be jealous or paranoid or controlling. So pretty much as soon as I can tell that that's part of someone's character rather than a slip-up, I'm gone, without any long-term regrets, even if I currently have feelings for them. It's not going to work out long term for either of us. I am what I am; I want to be with someone who'll like what that is, and if I don't find one, I'm my own person. It hurts like hell at the time. I've never split with someone without crying, even though I absolutely know it's the right decision at the time. I don't want to make people unhappy, and I want to be decent to them. But why would I stay and waste both our our time? That's just not fair on either party.

languidgrace

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5th
Well I'm an INTP, and I tend to back off when guys pursue me aggressively. So I suggest you not to do anything, just go with the flow. Something great might happen :)

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Once I'm in a relationship though, I'm loyal, willing to work on it, and talk issues over instead of just seething. Which takes conscious effort, because baring my soul and intimacy don't come that naturally to me, but it can be done. I'm more sensitive than people tend to think - a flippant remark that hits home will stay with me for years, which is why I'm slow to open my heart to people.

But I'd rather be the one hurting than the one causing the hurt. If I like someone enough to go out with them, then I care about them and want them to be happy, and that goes on after we've split. I don't do jealousy, or clinginess, or over-analysing things, as I tend to take people at face value in that kind of close relationship. I don't tell people I love them unless I'm sure that I do, because I think that's a horrible thing to have to take back.

I don't care about hearts and flowers and birthdays - they're nice, but they're basically windowdressing for the actually important things.

I am what I am; I want to be with someone who'll like what that is, and if I don't find one, I'm my own person. It hurts like hell at the time. I've never split with someone without crying, even though I absolutely know it's the right decision at the time. I don't want to make people unhappy, and I want to be decent to them.

I am 99,9% sure you are a mistyped INFP :) You are full of Fi controlled by Te (me thinks)

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I am 99,9% sure you are a mistyped INFP :) You are full of Fi controlled by Te (me thinks)

So very much no, though I can see why you might get that from that particular post. :) I'm INTP all the way down - all my F is to do with other people. I've just spent the last few years making a huge effort to develop my F after being called out on being harsh and lacking empathy (at some cost to my mental health, I should add. Difficult social circle with lots of poor social skills, ESFJ mother...) As a result, I've developed principles about what is and isn't an OK way to treat people - I want to be fair and treat people well, at least partly because not to do so means I'm being inconsistent when I resent their being asses to me, and I hate hypocrisy. But I don't need them, exactly. I don't really value feelings as much as thought, but I make an effort to accommodate them because other people value them. On the inside I often feel dismissive and annoyed by people being squishy or irrelevant. I just don't think it's OK for me to give in and express that the way I did when I was 14. ;)

Vague

MBTI Type
INFP
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=15184]Philosorapteuse[/MENTION] Yes, it is a tricky distinction between IN_Ps cause we share so many similarities. I've struggled myself too with malfunctioning Fe so when taking online tests I still lay trapped in the T/F scale. You know yourself as a person so you are probably right. A single post can indeed be misleading.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Once I'm in a relationship though, I'm loyal, willing to work on it, and talk issues over instead of just seething. Which takes conscious effort, because baring my soul and intimacy don't come that naturally to me, but it can be done. I'm more sensitive than people tend to think - a flippant remark that hits home will stay with me for years, which is why I'm slow to open my heart to people. I want to be sure. But I'd rather be the one hurting than the one causing the hurt. If I like someone enough to go out with them, then I care about them and want them to be happy, and that goes on after we've split. I don't do jealousy, or clinginess, or over-analysing things, as I tend to take people at face value in that kind of close relationship. I don't tell people I love them unless I'm sure that I do, because I think that's a horrible thing to have to take back.

All that said, it doesn't surprise me when I'm sometimes described as "cold" or "unromantic". I don't believe in soulmates. I work on an assumption that most relationships don't last forever, even if I assume they'll continue until given reason to believe otherwise.

You are so beautiful a person. ;^;

This basically describes my outlook on the relationship I'm in now. I'm trying my hardest to communicate anything I really feel uncomfortable with, and things I really like as well. Both things are unfamiliar and really, really scary territory for me, since, unsurprisingly (INTP dur dur) I tend to keep most things bottled up inside.

Thankfully, I'm with an ENTP now, so he gets a lot of how I communicate since he's more or less the same, and we try and keep things as level as possible.

What I like most about your post (and the rest of it), though, is that it takes everything important to the INTP archetype and translates that into a (personally) ideal approach to a relationship.

It's easy to see how others would interpret it as much less romantic, though, lul. It's so damn cerebral, that's for sure. But we feeeeeeeel.

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
You are so beautiful a person. ;^;

What I like most about your post (and the rest of it), though, is that it takes everything important to the INTP archetype and translates that into a (personally) ideal approach to a relationship.

It's easy to see how others would interpret it as much less romantic, though, lul. It's so damn cerebral, that's for sure. But we feeeeeeeel.

Aw, thank you. :) It might be INTP-ideal, not so sure about other types! XD Maybe we should stick to the xNTPs...

MBTI Type
intp
Edit: It wasn't until after posting that I realized that I'm about four years too late. But I'm going to leave my post in case anyone else is dealing with a similar situation.

Well here's my opinion as a female INTP.

INTPs are scared of relationships, period. They are scared of feelings, of committment, of other people needing emotional support... Basically everything a relationship is. They also don't really need other people. So your guy has a fundamental disinclination for a relationship with ANYONE.

It's not about whether he likes you or not. He does, trust me. But does he need you? Sometimes. But sometimes not. One thing you are going to need to figure out is whether you can be okay with being his "sometimes" person. If your heart is going to be shattered every time he walks away for time somewhere else, (whether it's someONE else or just personal space) then it just won't work.

This isn't to say that you can't find a common ground to work with, however. One plus about INTPs is that they are good at understanding things if they are put in an analytical form. It may still be difficult for him to explore feelings and needs, but that's something I highly encourage you to do with him. I recommend lists. :) Lists of needs and expectations may help bridge the gap between the "scary emotional stuff" and tangible things that he can grasp.

Whatever you do, don't wait around hoping for him to change. He will never be able to fill all of your needs, even if he does improve in some areas. The question is, will you find someone else who is better at filling them, or can you find ways to fill many of your own needs yourself? (eg. a best friend for emotional support, a dog for a constant companion...)

Lastly, in defense of INTPs ... We aren't actually cruel and heartless. Our needs just look different from everyone else's. We have feelings, and we don't want to hurt anyone, but we are REALLY terrible at emotional support.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck to you both. :)

Last edited:
MBTI Type
intp
Well here's my opinion as a female INTP.

INTPs are scared of relationships, period. They are scared of feelings, of committment, of other people needing emotional support... Basically everything a relationship is. They also don't really need other people. So your guy has a fundamental disinclination for a relationship with ANYONE.

It's not about whether he likes you or not. He does, trust me. But does he need you? Sometimes. But sometimes not. One thing you are going to need to figure out is whether you can be okay with being his "sometimes" person. If your heart is going to be shattered every time he walks away for time somewhere else, (whether it's someONE else or just personal space) then it just won't work.

This isn't to say that you can't find a common ground to work with, however. One plus about INTPs is that they are good at understanding things if they are put in an analytical form. It may still be difficult for him to explore feelings and needs, but that's something I highly encourage you to do with him. I recommend lists. :) Lists of needs and expectations may help bridge the gap between the "scary emotional stuff" and tangible things that he can grasp.

Whatever you do, don't wait around hoping for him to change. He will never be able to fill all of your needs, even if he does improve in some areas. The question is, will you find someone else who is better at filling them, or can you find ways to fill many of your own needs yourself? (eg. a best friend for emotional support, a dog for a constant companion...)

Lastly, in defense of INTPs ... We aren't actually cruel and heartless. Our needs just look different from everyone else's. We have feelings, and we don't want to hurt anyone, but we are REALLY terrible at emotional support.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck to you both. :)

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Also, be ready for you and the relationship itself to be analysed and psychoanalysed throughout every stage. It's what Ti-doms do.

Get a dog or a couple cats (real/alive or stuffed/plush if you're allergic to pets) to comfort you during the bursts of tears that will almost undoubtedly ensue when they say something wrong (and they undoubtedly will at some point). I say several because what if you and your INTP are both upset at the same time and both need cuddling and don't want to cuddle each other for whatever reason. That kind of stuff.

:)

Libra_Rising

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
I've only met a handful of INTPs and possibly 2 INTP females and I think they're all insufferable and difficult to have any sort of personal relationship/friendship with. I can't imagine what it's like for anyone to bother to have a romantic relationship with them, being that they are prone to analysis paralysis for every minutia that doesn't go according to how they imagine things to be.

How will anyone know they're in love? Probably no one would know, since the INTP are most likely not even aware of it themselves.

Laxton

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've only met a handful of INTPs and possibly 2 INTP females and I think they're all insufferable and difficult to have any sort of personal relationship/friendship with. I can't imagine what it's like for anyone to bother to have a romantic relationship with them, being that they are prone to analysis paralysis for every minutia that doesn't go according to how they imagine things to be.

How will anyone know they're in love? Probably no one would know, since the INTP are most likely not even aware of it themselves.

This is true. INTPs in general do not know what they want. Most of them that I know are somewhat intelligent but complete losers in almost every aspect of life, especially relationships, simply because they are so in their own head.

Solution: Find an ENTP. They > INTPs.

:coffee:

We're not that much better. The only difference between me and an INTP is that I am more talkative and better at expressing my thoughts.

Libra_Rising

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
This is true. INTPs in general do not know what they want. Most of them that I know are somewhat intelligent but complete losers in almost every aspect of life, especially relationships, simply because they are so in their own head.

We're not that much better. The only difference between me and an INTP is that I am more talkative and better at expressing my thoughts.

Speak for yourself. Just because you have hang-ups verbally communicating with others doesn't mean that ENTPs have that trouble. ENTP by characteristic is a negotiator, and that hallmarks a very strong command over verbal and written communication. An ENTP who lacks strong communication skills and has difficulties expressing their thoughts and observations to the external world is either not ENTP or they are extremely young and have not acquired such skill set. However, MBTI shows an individual's personality through natural inclinations. To not have the natural inclination towards outward and even, outrageous communication styles, is hard to even lay stake to being ENTP.

ENTP are masters at assessing their environment and able to successfully maneuver in and through all sorts of social climates. ENTP only comes second to ENFP in that regard. The ability to be that malleable is the nuclei of ENTP. You cannot be an ENTP without having that ability.

You could be some other type, but virtually every ENTP I've come across is very social. I'm social, but I'm not the exception, I'm the norm for ENTP. Not "social" as in the obnoxious-loud-kegger-partier type, but socially savvy enough to talk to anyone and everyone about a variety of things. There is very little to no social hang-ups. The majority of comedians are ENTP and that should come as no surprise. An ENTP cannot maneuver in the world without scoping out their external environment, and to do so is to directly interact with others, which involves TALKING to others. And lots of it.

Laxton

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Speak for yourself. Just because you have hang-ups verbally communicating with others doesn't mean that ENTPs have that trouble. ENTP by characteristic is a negotiator, and that hallmarks a very strong command over verbal and written communication. An ENTP who lacks strong communication skills and has difficulties expressing their thoughts and observations to the external world is either not ENTP or they are extremely young and have not acquired such skill set. However, MBTI shows an individual's personality through natural inclinations. To not have the natural inclination towards outward and even, outrageous communication styles, is hard to even lay stake to being ENTP.

ENTP are masters at assessing their environment and able to successfully maneuver in and through all sorts of social climates. ENTP only comes second to ENFP in that regard. The ability to be that malleable is the nuclei of ENTP. You cannot be an ENTP without having that ability.

You could be some other type, but virtually every ENTP I've come across is very social. I'm social, but I'm not the exception, I'm the norm for ENTP. Not "social" as in the obnoxious-loud-kegger-partier type, but socially savvy enough to talk to anyone and everyone about a variety of things. There is very little to no social hang-ups. The majority of comedians are ENTP and that should come as no surprise. An ENTP cannot maneuver in the world without scoping out their external environment, and to do so is to directly interact with others, which involves TALKING to others. And lots of it.

Wow, you sure did a good job drawing a conclusion that outrageous based on two paragraphs that I wrote. I have this skillset, but describing it in this manner comes off as extremely pretentious, so I don't like wasting my time doing it. Making blanket statements about a personality type that makes up 3% of the population is pretty absurd as well, because people in general are radically different from one another.

I'm a skilled negotiator and I can do well in almost any social environment, with very few exceptions. I'm part of many different social groups and am a very extroverted person in general. However, I tend to get bored of relationships and certain people and can drop relationships whenever they become tedious or boring.

Making a statement like "ENTPs are masters of assessing their environment" is stupid, because ENTPs do not appeal to as many people as they think they do. I have many friends as well as haters, just like everybody else. Sometimes I'm completely oblivious of how much people hate me until they give me some sort of outward sign, and I assume that most ENTPs are like that as well.

I have an ENTP friend who thinks so many girls are attracted to him, when in fact many of them are repulsed by him and he is completely oblivious to that fact. Many ENTPs are completely delusional to the fact that they are not as great at everything as they think they are.

Narcissism and vanity is also pretty characteristic of this personality type, bjt that doesnt mean that all ENTPs are narcissists. The fact that you just made personal statements such as telling me that I am probably mistyped with such confidence does nothing but show me how little you actually know about me. I'm not saying that you're completely wrong, but the fact that you are straying so far from my post as to say that I am mistyped because you assumed that I lack the "command of verbal communicatiom" based off of a random paragraph that I wrote confused the fuck out of me and I don't know where to begin arguing with that because there is so much wrong with it.

ENTPs also have a tendency to get bored of people, places, and lifestyles relatively quickly. Relationships are not excluded from the list of possible things that ENTPs get bored of. Rationalize it all you want, but INTPs and ENTPs are alike in their habit of dropping people without notice. I've been in many relationships, but none of them have ever lasted longer than 6 months, and sometimes devolve into a relationship that is held together purely based off of physical attraction because one of us (usually me) has lost interest in allowing it to go any further than that, for whatever reason that may be.

I'm not saying that none of this applies to me, but you seem to have forgotten that someone's personality type is not set in stone, and people of different types exhibit their behaviors differently. Also, I don't have "hang ups" when it comes to communicating with others and I'm not sure what part of my word choice gave you that impression.