User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Birthdays are irrational.

I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?
    Yes, I completely agree.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I dislike celebrating birthdays, and holidays in general, while I do hold that traditions are good for the soul, and grounding.

They are prone to materialism and self-centeredness.

I prefer, and enjoy, to celebrate seasonal celebrations or yearly traditions, like camping on certain days every year, picking berries as a family when they are ripe (at the same time every year), going to lakes, gathering for feasts, etc. I guess when it's about God, or the turnings of the earth cycles, I really dig celebrations. Not so much when it's about individuals or man-made events. Administrative Professionals Day? gimme a break.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Reasons:

What do you think?
    I think that if you think that birthdays are irrational, then you should give me all your presents and birthday money next year so I can enjoy it instead.

MBTI
    yupp

that's why i have no expectations around my birthday. I like buying people presents its a favorite past time of mine I'll see something and Go OOOOH SO AND SO NEEDS THIS buy it and give it to them closest birthday or holiday. but I don't expect people to buy me things for my birthday.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    that's why i have no expectations around my birthday. I like buying people presents its a favorite past time of mine I'll see something and Go OOOOH SO AND SO NEEDS THIS buy it and give it to them closest birthday or holiday. but I don't expect people to buy me things for my birthday.
    I damn sure expect people to buy me things for my b-day. Otherwise I'll call them a cheap bastard.

Is it your birthday, Ras?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is it your birthday, Ras?
    No, my birthday was last month.
    Since I've already received my gifts, it's a good time to change everything.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The observances that are truly irrational are all those "Hallmark holidays", occasions promoted by greeting card and gift companies to drum up business. These include everything from Valentine's Day and Mother's Day to St Patricks Day, Secretaries Day, Bosses Day, and on and on.

Actually, I think one's personal birthday is the better time to honor someone, whether for being a mother, grandparent, a good secretary, whatever. I often take my birthday off from work, and spend the day doing whatever I want. For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

No, my birthday was last month.
    Since I've already received my gifts, it's a good time to change everything.
    Well, if birthdays gifts are irrational, then so are Christmas gifts. What do you have to say about that?