• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Birthdays are irrational.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Lol. I could do without all holidays where you're expected to buy someone something. Even if it's someone I'd enjoy doing something nice for, I'd rather surprise them when I feel like it. Having to do it on a certain day can set up expectations that may not be met...

Birthdays can be a good time, if used spend time with the people in your life or do something nice for yourself.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, being born is a pretty big deal, in the grand scheme of things, is it not?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
That's the end of the party, whereas birthdays are the beginning.

Exactly. And who wants to celebrate someone's death anyway. Lol though ironically I used to have a doctor that I went to and he died. He died of alcohol poisoning and he had a very nontraditional funeral. At his funeral everyone dressed in Hawaiian clothes and sipped cocktails and they even played Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville". LMAO!

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
irrational
"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Following a cultural norm seems rational to me. I guess you could believe that human nature is not rational, but then that would be an irrational position seeking to analyze the rationality of another.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think adults celebrating birthdays is kind of silly although I do plan to go out for my "important" birthdays. I'm not sure anyone even gives me gifts.

I celebrate my kid's birthdays because I want to. I did an awful lot of work and I'm celebrating the anniversary of it.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, being born is a pretty big deal, in the grand scheme of things, is it not?
I could argue that Earth's mass remains stable. :alttongue:
"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
Maybe, but I think you're wrong.
Following a cultural norm seems rational to me. I guess you could believe that human nature is not rational, but then that would be an irrational position seeking to analyze the rationality of another.
I'm not talking about the value of following a cultural norm, I'm talking about the value of the norm itself.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know what, fuck you. I love my bday and I held it at dave and vbusterd. If you don't like it go kill yourself

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't give or receive b-day presents becauseit is a waste. Fortunately it is not often an issue socially.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I'm not talking about the value of following a cultural norm, I'm talking about the value of the norm itself.
Oh, I thought this thread was about how birthdays are "irrational." I guess it's about values now.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Celebrating an individuals life is perfectly rational. Fe and Fi are rational functions. It connects us to a fundamental human appreciation for life, and celebrates individuality, an important Enlightenment ethic.

You, on the other hand are talking about some logical cost-benefit analysis that has nothing to do inherently with birthdays or human relationships but instead self-absorbed capitalism. Way to get mixed up, bro. Throw a party or cook dinner or bake a cake, or simply wish your friend well and stop bitching about expensive gifts.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Plus, cake is a highly rational benefit :coffee:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I could argue that Earth's mass remains stable. :alttongue:

Maybe, but I think you're wrong.

actually Haight is right. From a Jungian perspective ethics and cultural norms are rational. After all they keep human life running smoothly. You mean "logical."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did you stop to contemplate why I put it in the NT Rationale subforum?

i explained to you an alternative solution to your "problem" as well as showing you that you're inaccurate in your generalizations of birthdays from a different rational perspective. Of course, INTPs in Ti/Si loops are absurdly closed minded and I suppose view Ni as a critical parent and Fi as demonic.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From a Jungian perspective ethics and cultural norms are rational.
From a sociological perspective, they usually aren't.
Was this rational?
aztecs40.gif

But I must admit, the thread title was meant to be ironic. Satisfied?