User Tag List

First 1234 Last

My birthday = finals week, pretty much every year. Red Bull and tears are pretty much a given. If I'm very lucky and it's the last Friday of finals week though, I go out with friends, and that's nice.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well, if birthdays gifts are irrational, then so are Christmas gifts. What do you have to say about that?
    Irrational as well. But if I were a kid, I would think of it as a human right.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTj

As far as I know, we only have one birthday.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The observances that are truly irrational are all those "Hallmark holidays", occasions promoted by greeting card and gift companies to drum up business. These include everything from Valentine's Day and Mother's Day to St Patricks Day, Secretaries Day, Bosses Day, and on and on.

Actually, I think one's personal birthday is the better time to honor someone, whether for being a mother, grandparent, a good secretary, whatever. I often take my birthday off from work, and spend the day doing whatever I want. For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.
    Agreed.

I actually like birthdays and the idea that everybody has this one day that is about them, a 24 hour vacation where you can put yourself and your desires at the center for once. If you have a party, you give pleasure to all your guests as well and it is more of an excuse to meet up than about you.

As for gifts, I love giving to those I care about if I happen to come across something that is perfect for them (and I have a reputation as a good gifter). The value of the gift is less about the price you payed and more about the thought and effort that went into it, the more personal and individual the better. A good gift can be a demonstration of how well you know somebody. Reputation is a foreign concept to me in this regard.

By the way, mine is coming up in a few days...so if you want to win brownie points with a mod, you know what to do
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

figsfiggyfigs

I think all holidays where anyone is put in a position to feel obligated to express some sort of gratitude are bullshit.
    Showing someone appreciation out of the desire to show them appreciation, and showing someone forced appreciation out of feeling obligated to do so are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    For relationships, forget Valentine's Day and choose a day all your own, like your anniversary.

You got my vote.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    By the way, mine is coming up in a few days...so if you want to win brownie points with a mod, you know what to do
    Aha. Got it.

On a serious note, you and Coriolis made good points.
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Irrational as well. But if I were a kid, I would think of it as a human right.
    Ah but think of the possibility of not having Christmas. If there were no Christmas, then there would be no "Black Friday". Oh and if we didn't have "Black Friday" then just think of what that would do to the economy. Black Friday gives a BIG BOOST to our "consumer based" economy every year. lol, you sir are a communist.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

But it's just an arbritary excuse to celebrate and get cake, what's so irrational about that?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    As far as I know, we only have one birthday.
    Which makes birthdays even more irrational.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Ah but think of the possibility of not having Christmas. If there were no Christmas, then there would be no "Black Friday". Oh and if we didn't have "Black Friday" then just think of what that would do to the economy. Black Friday gives a BIG BOOST to our "consumer based" economy every year. lol, you sir are a communist.
    Funny thing is there's a certain member here that uses the same reasoning style to call other people liberals & capitalists. You will find out soon enough.
    -----------------

-----------------

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Funny thing is there's a certain member here that uses the same reasoning style to call other people liberals & capitalists. You will find out soon enough.
    Well, we're an economy based on capitalism. If you don't like it then go to China,