User Tag List

First 8910

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the price we all pay to feel more special once a year is very high.

Reasons:

-It's a lose-lose situation. The other person would usually know how to spend the money you spent on the gift for him much better than you, and vice-versa when your birthday arrives.

-Imbalances are frequent. Sometimes you give someone a $80 gift on his/her birthday but the person gives you a $20 one. Btw, this doesn't mean it won't remain a lose-lose situation, since his/her reputation in the group will likely be affected.

-We spend a lot of time wondering about what we should buy, with traffic, waiting for our turn to pay, etc. We could use this time to do a lot of important things.

-As soon as you forget that a given day is someone's birthday, they start thinking you don't care about them as much as they care about you.

What do you think?
    It sounds like you just think birthday gift-giving is irrational based on the difficulty to navigate meaningful/-less social interactions... for you.

I take no issue with a (largely) global tradition to celebrate our individual progress through life. It seems like the essence of celebrating life and living AND it isn't tied to a religious or regional/cultural event. We're all human. We all live. We all age. We all die. It's the most basic thing we can all agree on no matter where we're from or what we believe. Just managing to move through life could arguably be the only thing worth celebrating.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Hell to the yes.

Birthdays are fun becasue they are about celebrating an individual rather than a societal group thing.

As far as gift giving, never get hung up on who gives what for how much... unless you truly are a selfish bastard.
    Word!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It sounds like you just think birthday gift-giving is irrational based on the difficulty to navigate meaningful/-less social interactions... for you.
    It's not just about the gift giving part - Like I said, there's also the fact that people expect we to remember dates and some (imo) put too much importance into that.

I take no issue with a (largely) global tradition to celebrate our individual progress through life. It seems like the essence of celebrating life and living AND it isn't tied to a religious or regional/cultural event. We're all human. We all live. We all age. We all die. It's the most basic thing we can all agree on no matter where we're from or what we believe. Just managing to move through life could arguably be the only thing worth celebrating.
    That's a bit rhetorical. Some people think death is the thing worth celebrating.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

It's not just about the gift giving part - Like I said, there's also the fact that people expect we to remember dates and some (imo) put too much importance into that.

That's a bit rhetorical. Some people think death is the thing worth celebrating.
    Not rhetorical, subjective. It's only as meaningful/-less as you make it.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned

What do you think?
    You are not referring to birthdays. You are whining about consumerism. The fact that you phrase it out like that indicates that this particular social construct is deeply rooted in your way of thinking. Also, completely misguided because your own birthday is the only day in life that is logically worth celebrating. It's not defined by gifts that you receive and/or give. I think that is a disgusting chain of reasoning.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Also, completely misguided because your own birthday is the only day in life that is logically worth celebrating.
    Eh?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------