User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 66

  1. #1
    Member jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    56

    Default differences between ENTP and ESTP?

    am i the only one who feels that the two are often hard to tell apart?
    generally i think i'm okay at guessing people's types, but a lot of the time i have a hard time deciding if i think someone's an estp or an entp. i think this is mostly because i don't know or interact with many SPs and i've always thought of entps as the NT equivalent if an SP, if that makes any sense.

    i have a particular investment in this because the person i'm dating is either an entp or a very smart estp, and i can't decide which. i want to know, dammit. i mean, the obvious solution is to give him the test, but i kind of want to guess and see if i'm right. i also kind of feel like he wouldn't have the attention span for the entire 72-question test unless i'm sitting there making him take it.
    so how can i tell them (estp and entp) apart?
    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    am i the only one who feels that the two are often hard to tell apart?
    generally i think i'm okay at guessing people's types, but a lot of the time i have a hard time deciding if i think someone's an estp or an entp. i think this is mostly because i don't know or interact with many SPs and i've always thought of entps as the NT equivalent if an SP, if that makes any sense.

    i have a particular investment in this because the person i'm dating is either an entp or a very smart estp, and i can't decide which. i want to know, dammit. i mean, the obvious solution is to give him the test, but i kind of want to guess and see if i'm right. i also kind of feel like he wouldn't have the attention span for the entire 72-question test unless i'm sitting there making him take it.
    so how can i tell them (estp and entp) apart?
    any suggestions?
    I am confused as to the bold.

    I have met quite a few STPs who could easily give their NTP counterparts a run for their money.

    The best way to tell? Throw a ball at him when he least expects it. If he's an ESTP he will catch and perform a backflip. If he's an ENTP it will bounce off of his head and land in a pond where it will later be consumed by a duck who will die from it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am confused as to the bold.

    I have met quite a few STPs who could easily give their NTP counterparts a run for their money.

    The best way to tell? Throw a ball at him when he least expects it. If he's an ESTP he will catch and perform a backflip. If he's an ENTP it will bounce off of his head and land in a pond where it will later be consumed by a duck who will die from it.
    You monkey @Saturned ...taking the other side .

    Hey, I understand, and in my teens I probably wouldn't have caught the ball, but now I would. And I'd at least think about throwing it back .

    As far as the intellect thing, hrmm
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  4. #4
    Member jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    56

    Default

    yeah, i also know smart SPs. i added the "very smart" because i wanted to emphasize that his focuses are academic, which (from what i've seen) people tend not to associate with SPs. but i probably just should have said focused on the academic. which is not the same thing as being smart. ahhh.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    yeah, i also know smart SPs. i added the "very smart" because i wanted to emphasize that his focuses are academic, which (from what i've seen) people tend not to associate with SPs. but i probably just should have said focused on the academic. which is not the same thing as being smart. ahhh.
    I know a smart ESTP. I get concerned (and slightly annoyed) around him because it would be the exception that my N wouldn't tell me he's up to something.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  6. #6
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    I know a smart ESTP. I get concerned (and slightly annoyed) around him because it would be the exception that my N wouldn't tell me he's up to something.
    everyone's up to something... that's why you've got to keep your eye on them

    otherwise, type doesn't indicate intelligence... you can be smart and be of ANY type (in fact, categorizing people into types is kind of unintellegent because there's a shit ton of variety in people that's completely overlooked by traditional typology... variety to the point where trying to characterize categories is pretty much rendered moot if you start talking to people... )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #7
    Senior Member Winds of Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    otherwise, type doesn't indicate intelligence...
    What if they are an I.D.I.O.T.?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

  8. #8
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    (needless) bigger words.
    Oh, its
    You
    ....

  9. #9
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar7 View Post
    What if they are an I.D.I.O.T.?
    too many letters unless you're using an ocean model... might want to go with DUMB

    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #10
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    Well, as demonstrated here, ESTPs tend to keep things more real I've also found that they are more likely to naturally look at you while talking, and minimalize the "special" aspect of things and situations in favor of getting more at their overall reality. There is a distinct advantage here in seizing opportunities immediately, working directly with them, and actually getting the benefit themselves. But this is not to say they still can't be "weird" in other ways. But those ENTPs..... more crave weird, always searching for the loophole and the special exceptions, its unrealisticness is the bonus, as long as the potential is there and there is something to be started but not necessary to be finished or get direct benefit from.

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between ENTPs and ESTPs?
    By SodaDrops in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-13-2016, 10:30 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Distinct differences between ENTJ and ESTP
    By Baron in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM
  3. [ENTP] What are the differences between ENFP and ENTP?
    By Necobellator in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 02:01 AM
  4. EMERGENCY! What are the differences between ENTP and ENFP?
    By digesthisickness in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM
  5. [MBTItm] The ultimate difference between ISTP and ESTP
    By Speed Gavroche in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO