User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Default Deductive Logic: What Is It? Why Do We Do It?

What effect(s) does using it have in life?

Do you benefit using it? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Does it seem geeky? Is it something some do but don't 'advertise'?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

of course we do, we use it all the time, it aids in our formation of reality all together. We have to make a lot of constant assumptions about the world and what we see to even stay sane and human. That's deductive logic in itself, no? It's VERY useful!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    of course we do, we use it all the time, it aids in our formation of reality all together. We have to make a lot of constant assumptions about the world and what we see to even stay sane and human. That's deductive logic in itself, no? It's VERY useful!
    You're an NF. How does utilizing deductive logic combined with intuition benefit you?
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    of course we do, we use it all the time, it aids in our formation of reality all together. We have to make a lot of constant assumptions about the world and what we see to even stay sane and human.
    Correct. It happens on all levels of (un)consciousness and is a natural part of how human minds work. Aristotle did not invent it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    INTj

so we can deduce something, of course.

MBTI
    INTJ

Deductive: from truth to truth
    Inductive: from evidence to explanation

Right?

So imma say "logic" is an ideal. You can fetishize it and speak of important and meaningful values and priorities, like (search for) TRUE and (shun the) FALSE. And probably these ideals do have their origin in people having cognitive "functions", though we should of course note that having cognitive "functions" is different from being ideal. Booyah!

But as for what is the meaning of logic after noting all that... I don't know.

(But with solipsism in the offing, we'd best believe, or try finding a way of proving, that our cognitive "functions", such as they are, probably do fairly literally partake of both the inner and outer worlds. These idealized values we as individuals and cultures build up and share around do reflect perfections of actual reality... somewhere.)
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

As I understand it, inductive reasoning is, like Kalach says, looking at a body of evidence and forming an educated prediction. E.g., the sun has been observed to rise in the east and set in the west for fall of recorded history, so barring the existence of dynamics we are unaware of, we can reasonably infer that the sun will continue to rise in the east and set in the west.

Deductive reasoning, on the other hand, is when we can conclude something absolutely must be the case on the basis of its premises. For example, if we could somehow conclude that all swans were white and knew for certain that Steve the Swan was a swan, even without seeing Steve we could know he was white.

It seems to me we never really use deductive reasoning in our day-to-day lives, since everything we "know" we only know to degrees of certainty on the basis of evidence. All of our assumptions are best-fit explanations of the evidence.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Goddamit, I wrote a post about deductive, inductive and abductive reasoning, but lost it to the void.

Perhaps I'll write one up again.

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Why do you assume people do use it? A lot of people think they are being logical, but they're merely assuming whatever is left after skipping over important contradictions is true.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Goddamit, I wrote a post about deductive, inductive and abductive reasoning, but lost it to the void.

Perhaps I'll write one up again.
    Pls dont
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]