• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Education vs Intellect

Tezkatlipoca

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It seems a lot of people have a deluded sense of what education is, and what intellect/intelligence truly is. So let's see how many of you can actually decipher the two, Because this world was built on one of the two, and it sure as hell wasn't education.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
intellect is the ability to grasp information and make something useful of it... whether it's an idea or an object

education is just the information part

someone with intellect but lack of education has the ability to do some pretty impressive things in a self taught manner, while someone with an education but no intellect isn't any better off for it

I know plenty of people who fall into either or both categories... they preform about as expected :shrug:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Without intelligence, you won't be able to gain much from education. There's a symbiosis. It should be noted that education is much more than what you learn at school.
But perhaps you could explain your theory first? Why isn't education as important as intellect?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

-Mark Twain

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
education offers information, intelligence enables you to use this information well

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
intellect is the ability to grasp information and make something useful of it... whether it's an idea or an object

someone with intellect but lack of education has the ability to do some pretty impressive things in a self taught manner, while someone with an education but no intellect isn't any better off for it

I know plenty of people who fall into either or both categories... they preform about as expected :shrug:

Actually, at least in america this is not true. Higher education rates are correlated more greatly with higher income than with iq. The converse is true in the scandinavian countries

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
the challenge is always applying information to use. If you want to learn, then you have to know how to use it in real life.

The problem with education is that it does not favor independent thinking and is standardized.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, at least in america this is not true. Higher education rates are correlated more greatly with higher income than with iq. The converse is true in the scandinavian countries

though in many cases this is because a college degree is REQUIRED for more highly paying jobs... not to mention that some people with higher IQs find more important things to do than be rich :shrug:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, but you misunderstood the first part. It's not that being more educated gets you a higher paying job (not that I am disputing this is true on the whole), but rather coming from a more privileged background increases the probability of getting a degree moreso than intelligence (as measured by iq) does.

Also, the intelligent having different goals does not explain why high iq people in scandanavian countries are likely to outperfom their richer (and dumber) counterparts. Policy difderences like free education for those above a certain gpa do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
of course that's a factor in it as well... I was just looking at the dichotomy set up by the OP though... there's a LOT of factors that go into whether someone has a higher education level and attains a higher paying job :laugh:

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I agree. I just think the usa has been fucking itself over for the last 30+ years. Imo free higher education > free healthcare on the whole and there is zero political momentum to make that happen.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm all for both, because they kind of feed off of one another in a way... quite a few poorer people either don't get a higher education or have to quit before their degree either because of health problems or to take care of a family member... and with free higher education there would be more people trained to deal with public health crises... not to mention a greater normalization of wealth as a possibility... maybe a growing middle class :holy:

but yeah, if it weren't for scholarships I doubt I'd have much of an education :blush:

AdventureJason

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was about to post an original topic on this. It is something I have put a LOT of thought into. The term I was going to use though is Knowledge vs Intelligence. Or in computer terms, hard drive vs processing power.

To me, you should strive to improve your "processing power" as anybody can memorize any piece of information but not anyone can do even some simple things like calculate basic math in their head (such as figuring out a tip), understand compass directions or recall bits of knowledge in real-time (such as during a debate).

Which this brings up a pet peeve of mine which is that certain people are considered more intellectual simply because they have memorized information in subjects that have a certain intellectual superficiality to them. Such as philosophy, art, history, finance or politics. To me, a person who has all the statistics or rules of baseball memorized is just as smart as someone who knows various philosophical theories. Information is information.

How quickly can you solve simple math problems? How in depth can you understand complex subjects such as math? How are you with spatial intelligence (important for fighter pilots). Are you creative? Can you brainstorm and come up with good ideas? Write poetry or stories? Can you take a car completely apart and put it back together? Can you do that if you've never worked on a car ever before? How good are you in political debate? How well can you write non-fiction? Or give speeches? How well can you teach something to someone else? How witty are you? How much stuff can you memorize and recall? How quickly can you recall that information? How quickly can you read a defense in Football and know which play to call as quarterback? Do you actually understand a triple integral enough to apply it to solve a real world problem? etc...

These are just a handful of examples of what I consider a real measure of intelligence. And have thought a lot about the different ways of thinking between various different personality types to better understand how people think.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ah, the irony :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Generally speaking, if you can learn very quickly you'll likely come across as well-read. I don't know anyone that can combine an extremely high problem-solving ability with idiocy / stupidity on an educational level.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Without intelligence, you won't be able to gain much from education. There's a symbiosis. It should be noted that education is much more than what you learn at school.
education offers information, intelligence enables you to use this information well
All of these!

At my university (which is fairly prestigious), I'm surrounded by two types of people: people of average intelligence who worked really hard to get there, and extremely intelligent people who didn't have to work hard. I never took an IQ test (because they don't seem to measure much -- and it's also not high on my priority list), but I'm in the former group, not the latter, and I think my intelligence is not much higher than the average.

The ones that really annoy me are the ones who use their book learning to make themselves look smarter, when it's obvious from how closed-minded they are, and how resistant they are to new information, that they aren't as smart as they think they are. :dry: They're like the guy in the bar scene from "Good Will Hunting".

G

garbage

Can we throw "wisdom" in there, too? How do you all see the roles of intellect, education, and wisdom?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5578]bologna[/MENTION] Willpower would also be a grand addition, ultimate control, which is what knowledge gives us.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Generally speaking, if you can learn very quickly you'll likely come across as well-read. I don't know anyone that can combine an extremely high problem-solving ability with idiocy / stupidity on an educational level.

Yeah but the education system tends to de facto define learning as assimilating data and ready to go ways of ordering rather than really processing this data into larger patterns. Knowledge on the other hand requires a more creative process. Which is something that is correlated with intelligence I find, studies also correlate memory performance with intelligence (now ofc thats a very blurry term and everything so u can deny that statement, i meant it for the sake of expediency). However I think its more related to the fact that intelligence as commonly define in psychometrics seems highly correlated with the energy efficiency of individual neurons which probably simplifies assimilation of new data.
Not my most solid argument though.