User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Default Are INTP's really the least sociable archetype?

We INTP's, in theory, have the weakest Fe, so going by that premise, we should be the most anti-social bunch.

Being an INTP myself, I can visualize, for example, how the I, Ne, Ti, and the P are interconnected, but I don't think the strengths of the other cognitive processes can easily be inferred out of the two strongest functions that I have (Ti and Ne).

In terms of how I deal with social situations, I have to admit that I'm not really that much comfortable with large social groups. The more 'shallow' they get (The S function), the more I get out of place. But I never realistically felt significantly alone. Yeah, the thought of isolation is there occasionally but I've always been proactive in structuring my social life.

The TJ's (also known to struggle with their Fe) can always brag about independence, self-sufficiency, and productivity, so in a way, they're creating a self-imposed perspective that it's OK to be alone.

On the other hand, there are some people who recognize that they need to get in touch with people and could be doing a thing or two about it.

The point I want to raise is, does it follow that a super strong Ti messes up the Fe?

I think I have a considerable knack for understanding people (though it may not necessarily translate to empathy or conformity to social protocol). The stronger P function implies a diminished judgment, the Ne/P function can make me 'see' a person beyond what is apparent, and the Ti is a major force in having the sincerity in understanding someone else. I may not be the star of a crowd but I do keep a stable set of close friends.

The difference I notice about myself, compared to the stereotypical notion of an INTP, is my better developed Fi, (that's why I question the arrangements of the cognitive processes, otherwise, my Fi should be way down there).

Though seriously, I really don't know which function is working at any point in time. It's kinda like a tug of war between Fi and Ti right there, but, in cases where a stereotypical INTP don't have Fi as a leverage, would that mean he'd really be the most anti-social archetype?

Between an xNTP and an xNTJ, I envision the latter to be the more egotistic archetype and the one that will most likely stick to his principles. The xNTP, on the other hand, can set aside his judgment so that he can understand the bigger picture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Actually, I think Ti and Fe usually work together in a conscious mind. Fi doesn't work with either, however. Understanding how people work would be a function of Ti and Fe. Ti is focused on the nature of how people (and other systems) they work, Fe is focused implementing this to produce positive affect. Both would understand some of the same things, but would have different values and emphasis on how they should be used.

Fi understands the nature of values and desires themselves, and sees how they work together. Te focuses on practical ways of acheiving and creating an example of what those values and desires mean in tangible terms.

That, to me, is why you always see Te with Fi, and Fe with Ti, never the other way around. Pushing one inwards results in the other going outwards.

INTP's aren't really the least socible, they're just the least popular. Meaning that people don't think of them as "cool" usually. That doesn't mean they don't have any friends, or that they can't get anyone to like them if they try. It just means they're not as interested in trying to be liked by the majority of people, although they may focus their limited emotional energy on a few special ones.

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

The way I understand things is......

If Ti is a person's strongest, his weakest is the polar opposite, which is Fe. I don't think the two are interrelated at all.

That is....

Ti
    Ne
    Si
    Fe

I think the Si and Fe inclusion are just derivatives of the Ti and Ne. Kinda like, well, since this asset A is the strongest, then the weak counterpart would be its inverse, by logic.

Anyway, in cognitive processes tests, my Fe is the weakest, so I assume that it explains the Fe being the inferior function of the INTP--that it is the weakest. Honestly, I don't know how to systematically assign the placing of the other cognitive processes (Te, Se, Fi, and Ni), though I've read in some articles that the shadow processes are supposed to be below the upper 4.

MBTI
    INTP

The functions of NT in general are the most disconnected from people. In STs, empathy more easily develops because of the S functions, but N functions, including Ne, are rather internally centered. Introversion only emphasizes this disconnection. I'm not sure how J-P falls in; that's probably more an issue of who you're compatible with socially. NTJs are more compatible with Guardians, while NTPs are more compatible with Artisans.

MBTI
    entj

This has been discussed around a gazillionth time. Why do people stereotype the INTP personality for being the least sociable. There have been many people that have beat them in being asocial. Do you know the chameleon INTP? They are freaking social.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Electric View Post
    This has been discussed around a gazillionth time. Why do people stereotype the INTP personality for being the least sociable. There have been many people that have beat them in being asocial. Do you know the chameleon INTP? They are freaking social.
    I'd say I fit more into the chameleon INTP category which makes it a bit more difficult for others to type me. I have a very large group of acquaintances who I hang out with, though my friend list is shorter. Perhaps the INTPs I know in real life are just mild representations of the type, but they are also good with people as well. A lot of it seems to do with the amount of maturity and experience the person has.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I really don't know where the "unsociable" thing comes from either. As a child, a teacher said I would either be a person's best friend or worst enemy. I don't know about the "worst enemy" unless it meant a turned on cold shoulder but sure do know about the "best friend" part. I'm not good with crowds of people precisely because I need my inner resources to focus deeply on the person I'm speaking with... distractions disorient me in that effort. I've been told often, when I do focus individually, that no one has known them as well as I do... is that antisocial? I don't think so. I am also almost totally open when sharing as I tend not to "filter" emotionally.... facts are just that..facts.. and I make few judgements of self or others. That, I've been told, puts someone talking to me at ease... something seen as sociable actually but, ironically, therein may be the problem. Reading what some others (INFPs) have said here about hiding their vulnerability, the degree of openness I display is, perhaps, what is seen socially as "odd." Just looking at this site, I find INTPs to be the most "open" also and am perplexed by the "unsociable" portrait put on them.

MBTI
    intp

Why do people stereotype the INTP personality for being the least sociable.
    "Please Understand Me" by Kiersey makes this claim.

But in my personal experience, I haven't found this to be true either..
    read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to learn how the Federal Reserve is robbing Americans blind and destroying this nation and others.

MBTI
    GONE

Why do people stereotype the INTP personality for being the least sociable.
    INTPc?

Hahahahaha, I couldn't help myself it was too easy.

I'll think of a serious answer to the OP question later.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    INTPc?
    Yeh, I think that's probably part of it. Some irl also get their model from there too. We aren't all flamers and egomaniacs... in fact, I think a few "stand outs" over there aren't INTPs at all. I met a more experienced (read older lol) one there and we've discussed this indept via email so I'm not the only one sees it this way.