User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

sry for the msg bombing, the forum didn't like my quotation marks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

If there really is a solid link between type and sociability (I doubt there is myself.. well at least as a complete picture) then perhaps the INTP is the least sociable because they're the most able to disconnect and walk away. It's not that INTPs hate people (well most... no.. not all the time) or that they actively avoid people, more that their interests just do not require people in such numbers. They can operate alone and as they are so comfortable with it they can be more discerning over what they put up with and so can seem less sociable than an ENFJ who will pretty much break their own backs bending over (as long as they think they're volunteering to do it of their own volition of course).

I think a lot of the antisocial typing comes more from the prevalence of INTP 5s than the INTP bit itself.

Oh and isn't keirsey's INTP something different?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    type

durentu, what about an INTP whose shadow functions are higher than the tertiary and 4th functions?
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

I think the rankings of the other cognitive processes are only theoretical, and what really matters are the top two. From there, you can infer if the person is introverted or extroverted, and also if he has a stronger P function or J function.

Arranging the other 6 into theoretical placements is a bit of an overkill in my opinion.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I am an INFJ and have an INTP friend, and I am just starting to understand why she can be so cold and indifferent at times, thanks to MBTI typology. (I first was awfully hurt by it to the point of weeping alone in my room about what I interpreted as unjustified rudeness).
    Strangely enough, I first admired her for what I saw as "kindness," that I now understand to be her tolerant P side. I am an introverted J and thus judge people easily inside, while she always has an open attitude with everyone, and that is the INTP's social strength, I think. I think we complete each other in the fact that she is original and ingenious through T, I am empathic through F, she is open-minded and respectful through P, I am determined through J.
    But no doubt, to any F, an INTP will appear enigmatic and cold. One of the rarest types, INTPs deserve to be understood. Whenever I interpreted my friend's attitude as rough and unsocial and dared to ask her about it, I realised I had it completely wrong: she wasn't malevolent at all, just unaware of others' feelings.

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Yeah, true. INTPs want to be understood. Among all the MBTI types they're probably the ones who need this the most, being among the rarest archetypes and all.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by martin87 View Post
    If we are talking about an INTP who hasn't had much experience with women then he will probably say it to you openly. Unfortunately that doesn't work out quite well so a bit more experienced INTP would be more careful. Though an INTP wants YOU to be as straight forward as possible. The best thing you can say to him is "you know, I like you! Lets hang out some time!". He hates people who walk around in circles and force him to guess what these people are actually thinking. When INTP falls in love, it's usually deep and involves a lot of thinking about the person he has fallen in love with. He can even be so in love that it would disturb his everyday activities. Thats why he wants to know as soon as possible how you feel, so that he can decide if you are worth spending his time on or if he should move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin87 View Post
    As far as getting impersonal and structured.. I think INTPs just get bored with certain people after a while, even though the relationship works out quite well. You have to make sure he can feed on your extroverted side, and as I said before, be direct and straight to the point
    Thanks Martin, for the insight and advice. Appreciate it.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I really really would like to know how an INTP is when he/she is in love??
    How do they feel/think?? Is it over fast? does it die down as the theory says? Theory says it becomes 'impersonal' and structured, is that true??
    Sorry too many questions, but Im curious
    I agree with the previous posts on this particular topic--especially when younger, an INTP's love is very raw and pure. Naomi L. Quenk wrote a book "was that really me?" which details how different types respond when "gripped" by their inferior function--notably Fe for the INTP. As love between two people is a very Fe-grounded phenomenon, such emotions have similar qualities in an INTP to being "gripped"--marked by tunnel vision and hypersensitivity (forgot the other characteristic she mentioned in that book). These will obviously vary from person to person based on experience/upbringing/social standards/etc, but I'll craft an extreme stereotype here.

Tunnel vision can guide an INTP to see his partner as a very perfect, glowing precious gem of the universe--whereby the good attributes of his partner are overemphasized and fixated upon. Hypersensitivity makes them extremely attentive to the details of his partner, sensitive to the meaning behind experiences and memories of him with his partner, sensitive to the amount of time which has elapsed since the last time they talked, etc. Most of these feelings stay well hidden beneath his skull but continually burn him like a furnace. Oh and if the INTP in question is anything like me, there will be continual overwhelming periods of daydreaming where the INTP imagines himself with his partner in various moments (walking hand-in-hand on hiking trails I'd frequented before, kayaking together at the local state park talking... etc). I consider this an Fe+Si self-inflicted mindfuck, but it's easily the most enjoyable part to me. It's also where an INTP will think everything through ad nauseum trying to find a fault in the whole relationship.
    Some may be weirded out by those internal feelings and start to clam up over it, some may express them freely. I recall PinkPiranha mentioning one of her NTP friends told her that he loved her (while she was sick), and he looked as if he was dying just saying that--it really does hurt that much inside, in a bitterly beautiful way. In time, everything slows down (as is typical with relationships--the first month or 2 may feel like years have past) and the more day-to-day dynamics show--an INTP's cold appearance may show itself more and more often, their aloofness and lack of attention to detail may crop up, depending on the person of course.
    The initial spark may have died down after a while, but every once in a while a memory will trigger that image--of a beautiful, perfect person he fell in love with. That's the sort of thing that keeps him going.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Oh and if the INTP in question is anything like me, there will be continual overwhelming periods of daydreaming where the INTP imagines himself with his partner in various moments (walking hand-in-hand on hiking trails I'd frequented before, kayaking together at the local state park talking... etc). I consider this an Fe+Si self-inflicted mindfuck, but it's easily the most enjoyable part to me.

The initial spark may have died down after a while, but every once in a while a memory will trigger that image--of a beautiful, perfect person he fell in love with. That's the sort of thing that keeps him going.
    Now that is so true . It's truly a mindfuck, so I tend to force myself not to think about people I like, unless of course they like me at least as much. I simply become mentally drained and cannot concentrate on my day to day problem solving activities ^^

MBTI
    INTj

Why would the "least sociable type" start a thread about whether or not they are the least sociable type?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight