User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    InTP

As an INTP, I would say that although I tend to avoid 'large' (ie 10+) groups, and sometimes human contact altogether, when forced into a situation with other people I can handle remarkably well. I have discovered (to my initial disbelief) that many acquaintances have very high opinions of me, despite the fact that I am typically quiet and reserved.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yeh, I think that's probably part of it. Some irl also get their model from there too. We aren't all flamers and egomaniacs... in fact, I think a few "stand outs" over there aren't INTPs at all. I met a more experienced (read older lol) one there and we've discussed this indept via email so I'm not the only one sees it this way.
    Just because you despise our generation and vice versa doesn't mean neither have INTPs or even a lower frequency. I've made this error as well when typing older persons - don't let contempt cloud your thinking. Just try to imagine having the angst of this generation in a virile young INTP mind. It's not surprising many want people like me and uberfuhr banned at these places!

Rohan, let us put our differences aside and throw down mighty.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Just because you despise our generation and vice versa doesn't mean neither have INTPs or even a lower frequency. I've made this error as well when typing older persons - don't let contempt cloud your thinking. Just try to imagine having the angst of this generation in a virile young INTP mind. It's not surprising many want people like me and uberfuhr banned at these places!

Rohan, let us put our differences aside and throw down mighty.
    Quite presumptuous and... dead wrong.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by skil View Post
    As an INTP, I would say that although I tend to avoid 'large' (ie 10+) groups, and sometimes human contact altogether, when forced into a situation with other people I can handle remarkably well. I have discovered (to my initial disbelief) that many acquaintances have very high opinions of me, despite the fact that I am typically quiet and reserved.
    Yeah, this is the case with me as well. I can be sociable if I have to, it's just that I don't enjoy it, and my enjoyment decreases with each additional person in the room. I enjoy quiet conversations and groups, one or two other people, but more than that I find myself needing to get the hell out of the room.

I often make a joke that the only reason I would take up smoking is to have an excuse to step outside at parties.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yeh, I think that's probably part of it. Some irl also get their model from there too. We aren't all flamers and egomaniacs... in fact, I think a few "stand outs" over there aren't INTPs at all. I met a more experienced (read older lol) one there and we've discussed this indept via email so I'm not the only one sees it this way.
    Lies!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Lies!
    Macguffin is a classic enfj.

Do these people know the history of that transformation?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    Macguffin is a classic enfj.

Do these people know the history of that transformation?
    I just discovered my true self, finally.

I will not have anyone disparage my beloved INTPs! I wub them so much!

MBTI
    GONE

OMG, MacGuffin is really a flippin ENFJ?

Or is this more INTP dry humor that I'm not getting?

Either way, I blame the interwebz.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Along with Seanan's comments and INTPc or the 'standard template' INTP -- yeah, it's one thing to be shy or even insecure, but to deny these things or use red herrings like intelligence or personality to mask 'areas that need work' -- you really hold yourself back.

I've met plenty of people IRL (and online) who don't meet common standards for 'social' or 'friendly' and am even friends with some. I remember one professor (INTJ?) who intimidated students like crazy and was very tough in class but I 'saw' her and she cracked me up and I became her research assistant and she loosened up around me.

As far as terse/unfriendly/standoffish/shy etc. some people I feel are authentic and don't mean any ill well. And some seem like they have chips on their shoulders, something to prove, or enjoy putting people out.

The INTPs I know in real life (including my anger management issued bro) are sociable in their own ways. They have a more mellow energy level but they can chat up people and respond to small talk.

My female INTP friends readily put themselves in social situations and mix and in some ways are quite 'extroverted' in their actions as far as going out a lot. And they like parties! One enjoys hosting dinner parties as well. I think their sociability -- like anyone else's "healthy adjustment to society" -- is related to how honest they are with themselves and how readily and thoughtfully they deal with their feelings and issues.

The 'standoffish' part of INTPs -- they're more selective about their friends though and can be pretty harsh or blunt about things they don't like. If someone they're not interested in tries to accost them or start small talk, they very well might just look at them and ignore them or maybe imperceptibly shrug. Hahhhaa, I think that's more a common introvert response though.

I actually think culturally, female INTPs fare better than their male counterparts as far as obstreperousness and stand-offishness goes.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    INTJs are more sociable

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    INTPs are likely to be the less sociable because they have the classic introversion trait, are intelligent enough to be alien to most humans and stubborn enough to not play the game (J)... even moreso, because of the P function they are disorganised to the point where attending social functions is improbable.

INTJs are more sociable because we are just as interested in human sciences and analysis, as are we are in physical sciences.
    Thus the need to engage with and psychoanalyse groups. Hmmm... which also couples with our J function as we try to reorder the structure of society into our thinking...

Lets face it, INTPs are just the ugly sister of the INTJ.
    perhaps it's not so much that they are stubborn enough to 'not play the game', but that they do not see the necessity of playing the game to be "acknowledged as superior." Of all the types, the intp is reputably the most individualistic. Since Ne means you see what can be, while Ti means you are not interested in asserting control over others. (as opposed to the INTJ's Te, which leads them to generally fear losing control, and to want to impose their 'vision' onto others.)

Second bolded is untrue. The INTP owns systems. So it all depends on what system the individual intp is interested in. Ne-Ti can mimick Fe very well. That's an advantage the INTJ does not possess. Most INTJs have to actually learn to get along, and by that, i do not mean lording it over others.

And it is also an assumption that all INTJs are interested in human sciences.

If an INTJ is mature enough, he/she should realise that most people do not like being controlled. In any case, it's about being well-adjusted. The INTP could learn to be more socially aware, just as the INTJ could learn to NOT impose onto others all the time. That's the hallmark of insecurity, whatever else you may call it. ie, live and let live.

If the INTP is the ugly sister of the INTJ, then perhaps that intp is the cinderella that hasn't yet blossomed.

bottomline: most intps are peaceable, in that they aren't interested in onesupmanship. Be it in games of popularity, or whatever. The competition, always, is within. The yardstick of measurement is within. That is why they do not require the approval of others, nor do they need to force others to think *their* way.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland