• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Numbness

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
*nostalgic, descriptive context on how wonderful emotions were and how terrible it is to have lost them*

Billie Holiday records worked for a while after. But now.. nothing.

Coping strategies?
Experiences?
How to become human again?

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
When did you lose them? Your reference to Billie Holiday records working for "a while after" suggests a fairly specific time. What changed, then (besides losing your emotions)?

Feeling kind of "flat", especially for an NT, is usually an indicator of depression. That's what happens to me, if I get depressed. I don't feel sad or any kind of negative emotions. I just stop feeling altogether. You may want to talk to a doctor about depression.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm sorry, I've made the OP sound like I wanted the thread to be about me. I wanted shared numbness.

(but thanks)

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Ah, okay. I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

I think my observation on feeling "flat" and depression still applies to the discussion, then.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Is that a certain kind of depression? I have been overwhelmingly unhappy, which is far worse than being flat/numb because it's so difficult to deal with at that present time, but at least it's something interesting that's happening.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I think it's a certain kind of depression. But if/when I get depression, that's usually what I get. Feeling nothing, or flat, combined with motivational challenges.

But I have on occasion gotten the overtly negative feeling depression, and that is worse. But like you said, at least it's something. I just don't happen to get that as often, and it doesn't last very long.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Music doesn't always work.

"Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar poured on soda, is one who sings songs to a heavy heart" (Proverbs 25:20 NIV).

One can get a lot of productive thinking done when he's numb--read some good literature or philosophy.

I find writing to be helpful too. Anything to get my mind in motion.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I've just realised how selfish it is to expect people to relight bad memories.

Music doesn't always work.

"Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar poured on soda, is one who sings songs to a heavy heart" (Proverbs 25:20 NIV).

I like this.

That forcing myself to connect with music is hopeless. The difficulty in connecting and feeling is a symptom, not the root problem. Like dealing with insomnia by running head-first in to a wall.

The possibility that numbness is just a manifestation of subconscious issues is quite motivational. Although I have solved the problem that I thought was the cause, yet the numbness remains.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Numbness and irritability, when they do appear, come sorta hand in hand. The numbness is usually a result of me holding onto my anger, because I find some peace in it. When I'm depressed I don't need anything and I like that self-sufficiency. Saying "boner" five times usually make me laugh, though. :blush:

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
When did you lose them? Your reference to Billie Holiday records working for "a while after" suggests a fairly specific time. What changed, then (besides losing your emotions)?

Feeling kind of "flat", especially for an NT, is usually an indicator of depression. That's what happens to me, if I get depressed. I don't feel sad or any kind of negative emotions. I just stop feeling altogether. You may want to talk to a doctor about depression.

Why do people immediately say people should go and see a doctor about any depression.. Sheeze. Getting depressed is normal for many people.

Depression signifies underlying issues (stresses/risk etc etc etc). What peole need to do is work out what is creating this depression.

Rather than getting some stupid pills from some half educated doctor they should look at other activities that can redress issues such as chemical imbalances, like many people don't understand physical exercise can do wonders for depression and so forth.

If you pop pills to diet then you will believe popping pills is good for depression. Its not a good place to go unless you really have a serious problem.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I think you may be talking about anhedonia. It is not treatable with any pills. It may be a result of PTSD in some; in others it appears and doesn't go away. I would guess it affects INTs more than any other type.

Incidently, the original title of Woody Allen's Annie Hall was Anhedonia. This is a nice montage:

Anhedonia

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
I think you may be talking about anhedonia. It is not treatable with any pills. It may be a result of PTSD in some; in others it appears and doesn't go away. I would guess it affects INTs more than any other type.

Incidently, the original title of Woody Allen's Annie Hall was Anhedonia. This is a nice montage:

Anhedonia

The thing is that depression is something that a number of people actually grow out of. I'd say that if you weren't that depressed as a child and then you become so during your teenage years and twenties you might just find that you grow out of it. I did, I think there is a chemical imbalance but I also think there are lifestyle issues that need to be addressed prior to really going down the popping pills route... s/b last resort.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
The thing is that depression is something that a number of people actually grow out of....

I'll go along with that.

But I think OP is talking not of depression (where at least you feel something) but *numbness* or an inablity to feel anything.

Either way I believe CBT is more effective at treating these conditions than pills, which only mask the symptom.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Although I have solved the problem that I thought was the cause, yet the numbness remains.

I have developed a relationship of trust with someone, but it doesn't have the same closeness. Being currently numb, I can't see myself ever connecting with someone again.

Anhedonia, 2007, 11 min excerpt from 90 min
In psychology, anhedonia is an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise and social or sexual interaction.

I can derive pleasure from simple things: biting into that rare hazelnut in my cereal, walking in the rain, cocooning myself in a duvet on a cold winter's night. But the things that kept my life interesting and impassioned can now only evoke a one-dimensional memory.

quaeresne

MBTI Type
INTJ
What you are experiencing sounds to me (from what you have written here) very similar to my dysthymic depression. It left me feeling numb, robotic, unfeeling, irritable, and lethargic for years. I was also afflicted with so-called "double depression", where I would dip down even below my usual "flat" feeling into bouts of more acute depression. It was evidently a serotonin problem, because Sertraline was extremely effective in treating it.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I can relate to this anhedonia, but why do you think it affects (I)NT's more than other types?

PS: for what it's worth: music works very well with me too. It gets me emotional and then really down. Not a real catharsis, but some relief...

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Revel in it. I see these phases of numbness and anhedonia as a point at which regeneration cycles. Just think of the self-analysis and self-growth that is taking place. And think of how awesome it's gonna feel when this phase is over (and it will be over eventually, even if you feel like right now it will never be over)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Revel in it. I see these phases of numbness and anhedonia as a point at which regeneration cycles. Just think of the self-analysis and self-growth that is taking place. And think of how awesome it's gonna feel when this phase is over (and it will be over eventually, even if you feel like right now it will never be over)

Sometimes I think the other way around. I feel good and think of what it will be like when it's over... And just thinking that finishes the good mood... :D

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sometimes I think the other way around. I feel good and think of what it will be like when it's over... And just thinking that finishes the good mood... :D

You're a pessimistic party-pooper ;)

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
What you are experiencing sounds to me (from what you have written here) very similar to my dysthymic depression. It left me feeling numb, robotic, unfeeling, irritable, and lethargic for years. I was also afflicted with so-called "double depression", where I would dip down even below my usual "flat" feeling into bouts of more acute depression. It was evidently a serotonin problem, because Sertraline was extremely effective in treating it.

Cheers, quaeresne, this definitely sounds like it. I went from seriously depressed (probably only a couple of weeks) to numb almost three years ago, with odd dips into severe depression.

--

I'm dubious of pretty much any medicine despite my interest in psychology. But I've been hanging around for so long now, I've given up on doing nothing. I can't see myself ever changing unless I face up to something huge. Otherwise, I'll probably end up a hobo.

Normal procedure for mood disorders? I expect it's different in the UK.