• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Numbness

nothappy

Coping strategies? Ignoring it, like right now :)
Experiences? Right now.
How to become human again? Watch a hilarious show. Or cry all day.

WillMagic

MBTI Type
INTP
Just a preface: I don't feel depressed, I love life, blah blah blah.

I wonder if I would cry if my mother, father, or sister died sometimes. My grandfather died recently, and there was very little emotion - only, after a week or so, a kind of fondness and appreciation of a life well lived. And when my mother got cancer, I didn't even consider crying...I had almost accepted, with resignation, that she'd be dead in five years, and moved on. (She ended up beating it, which was a happy surprise given the original diagnosis.)

This might be some kind of defect. I don't know. I do feel emotions, but expressing them is something I'm pretty uncomfortable with.

Harlow_Jem

MBTI Type
eNTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Just a preface: I don't feel depressed, I love life, blah blah blah.

I wonder if I would cry if my mother, father, or sister died sometimes. My grandfather died recently, and there was very little emotion - only, after a week or so, a kind of fondness and appreciation of a life well lived. And when my mother got cancer, I didn't even consider crying...I had almost accepted, with resignation, that she'd be dead in five years, and moved on. (She ended up beating it, which was a happy surprise given the original diagnosis.)

This might be some kind of defect. I don't know. I do feel emotions, but expressing them is something I'm pretty uncomfortable with.

People feel and express emotion to varying degrees depending on how they view the positives and negatives of death or illness. As long as its not complete apathy or joy at a close one's death, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's society that is influencing you and making you think that if you don't cry your eyes out that there's something "defective" about you.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
Depression is generally caused by too many neurotransmitter reuptake centers in the synapse, which will prevent serotonin from from reaching their neuroreceptors when they should. Medication blocks excess reuptake centers, allowing serotonin to reach the neurotransmitters, making medication for depression extremely successful. Or something like that, I don't know. The point is, I wish I recognized numbness as depression when I had it for a few years.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been feeling numb, probably depressed a bit lately. It seems that for me, mild depression is immediately suppressed as a feeling of numbness--of being unable to feel good or bad.