User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Numbness

Coping strategies? Ignoring it, like right now
    Experiences? Right now.
    How to become human again? Watch a hilarious show. Or cry all day.
    Se, Ne, Ti, Fi
    I must be a freak of nature, according to the MBTI. I kinda like this.

MBTI
    INTP

Just a preface: I don't feel depressed, I love life, blah blah blah.

I wonder if I would cry if my mother, father, or sister died sometimes. My grandfather died recently, and there was very little emotion - only, after a week or so, a kind of fondness and appreciation of a life well lived. And when my mother got cancer, I didn't even consider crying...I had almost accepted, with resignation, that she'd be dead in five years, and moved on. (She ended up beating it, which was a happy surprise given the original diagnosis.)

This might be some kind of defect. I don't know. I do feel emotions, but expressing them is something I'm pretty uncomfortable with.

MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by WillMagic View Post
    Just a preface: I don't feel depressed, I love life, blah blah blah.

I wonder if I would cry if my mother, father, or sister died sometimes. My grandfather died recently, and there was very little emotion - only, after a week or so, a kind of fondness and appreciation of a life well lived. And when my mother got cancer, I didn't even consider crying...I had almost accepted, with resignation, that she'd be dead in five years, and moved on. (She ended up beating it, which was a happy surprise given the original diagnosis.)

This might be some kind of defect. I don't know. I do feel emotions, but expressing them is something I'm pretty uncomfortable with.
    People feel and express emotion to varying degrees depending on how they view the positives and negatives of death or illness. As long as its not complete apathy or joy at a close one's death, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's society that is influencing you and making you think that if you don't cry your eyes out that there's something "defective" about you.

"I have no need for good souls; an accomplice is what I want"--Sartre

psychic changes are born in your heart, entertain.

Blog

MBTI
    PINT

Depression is generally caused by too many neurotransmitter reuptake centers in the synapse, which will prevent serotonin from from reaching their neuroreceptors when they should. Medication blocks excess reuptake centers, allowing serotonin to reach the neurotransmitters, making medication for depression extremely successful. Or something like that, I don't know. The point is, I wish I recognized numbness as depression when I had it for a few years.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I've been feeling numb, probably depressed a bit lately. It seems that for me, mild depression is immediately suppressed as a feeling of numbness--of being unable to feel good or bad.