User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Numbness

MBTI
    NICE

I think you may be talking about anhedonia. It is not treatable with any pills. It may be a result of PTSD in some; in others it appears and doesn't go away. I would guess it affects INTs more than any other type.

Incidently, the original title of Woody Allen's Annie Hall was Anhedonia. This is a nice montage:

Anhedonia

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I think you may be talking about anhedonia. It is not treatable with any pills. It may be a result of PTSD in some; in others it appears and doesn't go away. I would guess it affects INTs more than any other type.

Incidently, the original title of Woody Allen's Annie Hall was Anhedonia. This is a nice montage:

Anhedonia

The thing is that depression is something that a number of people actually grow out of. I'd say that if you weren't that depressed as a child and then you become so during your teenage years and twenties you might just find that you grow out of it. I did, I think there is a chemical imbalance but I also think there are lifestyle issues that need to be addressed prior to really going down the popping pills route... s/b last resort.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    The thing is that depression is something that a number of people actually grow out of....
    I'll go along with that.

But I think OP is talking not of depression (where at least you feel something) but *numbness* or an inablity to feel anything.

Either way I believe CBT is more effective at treating these conditions than pills, which only mask the symptom.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    Although I have solved the problem that I thought was the cause, yet the numbness remains.
    I have developed a relationship of trust with someone, but it doesn't have the same closeness. Being currently numb, I can't see myself ever connecting with someone again.

Anhedonia, 2007, 11 min excerpt from 90 min
    In psychology, anhedonia is an inability to experience pleasure from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise and social or sexual interaction.
    I can derive pleasure from simple things: biting into that rare hazelnut in my cereal, walking in the rain, cocooning myself in a duvet on a cold winter's night. But the things that kept my life interesting and impassioned can now only evoke a one-dimensional memory.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTJ

What you are experiencing sounds to me (from what you have written here) very similar to my dysthymic depression. It left me feeling numb, robotic, unfeeling, irritable, and lethargic for years. I was also afflicted with so-called "double depression", where I would dip down even below my usual "flat" feeling into bouts of more acute depression. It was evidently a serotonin problem, because Sertraline was extremely effective in treating it.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I can relate to this anhedonia, but why do you think it affects (I)NT's more than other types?

PS: for what it's worth: music works very well with me too. It gets me emotional and then really down. Not a real catharsis, but some relief...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Revel in it. I see these phases of numbness and anhedonia as a point at which regeneration cycles. Just think of the self-analysis and self-growth that is taking place. And think of how awesome it's gonna feel when this phase is over (and it will be over eventually, even if you feel like right now it will never be over)

"I have no need for good souls; an accomplice is what I want"--Sartre

psychic changes are born in your heart, entertain.

Blog

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow_Jem View Post
    Revel in it. I see these phases of numbness and anhedonia as a point at which regeneration cycles. Just think of the self-analysis and self-growth that is taking place. And think of how awesome it's gonna feel when this phase is over (and it will be over eventually, even if you feel like right now it will never be over)
    Sometimes I think the other way around. I feel good and think of what it will be like when it's over... And just thinking that finishes the good mood...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    eNTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Sometimes I think the other way around. I feel good and think of what it will be like when it's over... And just thinking that finishes the good mood...
    You're a pessimistic party-pooper

"I have no need for good souls; an accomplice is what I want"--Sartre

psychic changes are born in your heart, entertain.

Blog

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by quaeresne View Post
    What you are experiencing sounds to me (from what you have written here) very similar to my dysthymic depression. It left me feeling numb, robotic, unfeeling, irritable, and lethargic for years. I was also afflicted with so-called "double depression", where I would dip down even below my usual "flat" feeling into bouts of more acute depression. It was evidently a serotonin problem, because Sertraline was extremely effective in treating it.
    Cheers, quaeresne, this definitely sounds like it. I went from seriously depressed (probably only a couple of weeks) to numb almost three years ago, with odd dips into severe depression.

--

I'm dubious of pretty much any medicine despite my interest in psychology. But I've been hanging around for so long now, I've given up on doing nothing. I can't see myself ever changing unless I face up to something huge. Otherwise, I'll probably end up a hobo.

Normal procedure for mood disorders? I expect it's different in the UK.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.