• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How can I share my thoughts nicer?

pv255

Okay, I made a minor realization while talking to a friend the other day. I was trying to explain to him one of my random complex theories. It was like pulling teeth, but he I think he understood it. At the end of our discussions he reiterated my thought in his own words with lots of skepticism and told me that I just needed to explain it better. The conversation was on gchat, so I went back and reread the conversation over and over again. Everything I said made perfect sense to me. I used lots of analogies, reiterated paradigms, defined my terminology, ect. I noticed that he was very presumptuous, and the things that I thought proved something he thought didnt prove a thing. I am pretty sure he is an ESTP.

My question is, What does it take for different types to accept something as true? For me it is logical consistency.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, I made a minor realization while talking to a friend the other day. I was trying to explain to him one of my random complex theories. It was like pulling teeth, but he I think he understood it. At the end of our discussions he reiterated my thought in his own words with lots of skepticism and told me that I just needed to explain it better. The conversation was on gchat, so I went back and reread the conversation over and over again. Everything I said made perfect sense to me. I used lots of analogies, reiterated paradigms, defined my terminology, ect. I noticed that he was very presumptuous, and the things that I thought proved something he thought didnt prove a thing. I am pretty sure he is an ESTP.

My question is, What does it take for different types to accept something as true? For me it is logical consistency.
Ah, that sounds familiar! Yeah, that style doesn't work as well for non-NTs. And for the most part, it works very badly on me!

I don't know about other types, but SJs generally prefer concrete evidence, or at least evidence from a trustworthy source -- e.g. a respected newspaper. Here is a skeptical SJ, for reference.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Use open ended language
B. Be genuinely interested in the other person.
3. Look for commonalities in experience or belief
D. Listen
5. Listen
F. Listen
7. Look for the best in people and see them at their best
H. Compliment people genuinely and accept their compliments
9. Read up on body language and use open non-confrontational body language

That's all I've got for now.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hello,

Grandma used to always tell me ¨If you don´t have nothing nice to say, then keep it to yourself¨.

That said, stay positive and constructive whenever possible. I used to blurt out things when I was younger and got myself into quite a bit of trouble socially. Now when I say something I try to ask myself first, whats my point? If it´s not positive or constructive, rethink saying it all or ¨reword¨ it.

Cold Roses

I personally try not to deliver truth like blunt force trauma to the other party's skull. Another thing I have realized is...choose your battles. Not every situation calls for the truth to even come out. Sure, I far prefer it. But biting my tongue and learning to let it slide on by makes life more pleasant. I'm not going to say I don't beat someone like a gong with my perspective on occasion-can't always keep myself in check and sometimes I am convinced it must be done. Sometimes I am feeling salty and forget my own advice, as well. Default mode can overridden, though. Listening to the other party and finding some common ground before approaching your dissent is also a bit gentler, really. Delivery counts for a lot. I like what someone said about looking more pleasant in your appearance. Cheap trick, yes. Workable? Damn straight.