• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Common INTJ Issues

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does this happen irl? I would be really annoyed at that person for that. Do you have a bad history or something? I see that as a huge problem.:shock:
The sample conversation was a bit stylized to illustrate the concept, but similar discussions do happen. Once I defended listing someone as an author (to another INFJ author), because the person had done a significant amount of the measurements presented. Other times, I declined to include people based on limited contribution. In reality, I received little disagreement, but I have heard more contentious discussions of authorship.

The only time an INTJ cares about credit is when its given to someone else and he doesnt think its deserved. The only time an INTP cares about credit is when its just one of those rules that people follow(I really have no clue about this one, I am sure INTJs will agree as I have done nothing but restate what has been stated by them.)
Most INTJs I know want to give credit where credit is due, whether to themselves, or especially to others. The sticking point usually comes because our standard for this is different from that of others'. They often fail to realize that we hold ourselves to that standard, too, and as you mention will decline credit we have not earned.

Inferior Fe is not Fe. That's like saying a thing and its opposite are the same. They are not. 1 and -1 are not equivalent. Conscious is not Unconscious. Light is not shadow. Cold is not Hot. Love is not Hate. These things are related in complex ways. But they are not the same. Right is not wrong. Either I'm right or you're right. We can't both be right, we are saying fundamentally different things. If you still can't see that I don't know what to tell you. I only know that my understanding is closer to Jung's meaning of "inferior".
Inferior Fe is not the opposite of Fe. If anything, Ti is. One's inferior is more like a dangerous tool in the hands of an clumsy, untutored, and ignorant user.

I wasn't being serious! I suck at professional courtesies and protocols. I never do anything the same way twice. I never, ever follow templates, I get into trouble for this stuff often. If it's something Coriolis' "INTPs" obsess over, it's probably BECAUSE they lack confidence in understanding the "unwritten rules" and so they try to make them explicit, to figure out their internal logic (assuming there is one, which is the assumption Ti always makes) and if you violate that logic, Ti will notice and will get disturbed, because it thinks it understood the game and you just went ahead and changed the rules. To think the INTP cares about protocol, for protocol's sake is to superficially misread the situation.
Far from obsessing over professional protocols, the INTPs I know generally take them for granted. They are a complete non-issue until someone violates one. Even then, it is often quickly resolved based on seniority/leadership. Real arguments don't happen too often, but when they do, they play out as I illustrated, and are a good example of inf Fe at work.

However, it's clear that Coriolis perceives some kind of value in being listed on a paper. Some kind of political capital. INTJs are much more interested in power play. INTPs generally don't care about that kind of maneuvering and pettiness. We're not gonna get our panties bunched up because "x's contribution was minimal". It's more binary to us, because we actually CARE LESS. This should be blindingly obvious to anyone reading the anecdote. I let people steal credit for my ideas sometimes, just because I only really care about the idea. I don't care for accolades.
Most supervisors perceive some value in having publications. In academia, they are required for tenure; there and elsewhere they are used in promotion decisions. INTJs understand that keeping their job or getting a better position are often useful in accomplishing their goals, both personal and professional. There is also the utility of letting others in the field know who is doing a particular activity, so those with questions or wanting to collaborate can contact the right person. There is political capital in this, but it also helps effectiveness. When it comes to getting an idea accepted or implemented, though, I agree with you. I don't care about credit, as long as it gets done. (A few times I actually got something done by passing it off as the idea of other people - with their complicity.)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION]

What you are describing and are considering wrong in my analysis (which probably is true) are the kinks of my general lines that I described. And yes, I get that you want me to relate them properly. However, those things however important to you, are *exactly* the topic I want to show you by comparing it to INTJs (and the interacting conflict it gives between you two). That was the original topic. And it is an awesome demonstration of it. Your Ti wants things riddled out properly into fine detail and argues until it is riddled out. Meanwhile the Te-crowd looks at it, the intjs probably see the riddling out that could be done (I just see the general lines really, and often dont realise until I take a closer look that there is more to tweak), understands the concept and moves on to the next part of that conversation in order to get to the point. For you however, it seems important that the first part is logically perfect, before you can move on to the next part. Which in turn gives an INTJ the head ache they experience when a) being told that they are wrong and b) being told to go over the same sequence over and over again.

I am not saying that you are wrong. In fact, you are likely very right as this is something you've finetuned (I'm saying likely here coz my understanding of Ti is...rudimentary at best). I'm merely saying that others do not need as deep a grasp, or as much refinement when looking at something in order to grasp the general gist of it, or in order to communicate a concept to someone else, to then move on to what *they* consider the main course of that conversation.

Iow, you are being too thorough and have too high a standards, and are focused on the 'wrong' part of the conversation for INTJs (and Te-users in general probably). I'm not saying you should change your priorities, and what you consider to be vital (god knows I cant with Fi, when it comes to Fe-users). But it might help with the misunderstandings and the frustration and considering eachother moronic for not seeing this shit when keeping in mind that this to them just...aint that important. And vice versa, INTJs might want to keep in mind that their goal just aint that important to you in the discussion. From the Te-side of things however..it does make driving a point home rather...frustrating at times, just so ya know :alttongue:

In a way, this situation reminds me of my math teacher first demanding that I show my work and when I get my paper back having red all over my work, but acknowledging that the result, the number I wanted to write down in the first place without showing all the work, is correct. :doh:

However..I think the solution in this (and perhaps you'll disagree, so feel free to reject it) is that...with a bit of benefit of the doubt from your side, I can explain the rudimentary trajectory to you, with my point. Then watch you go nuts on riddling it all out, in turn teaching me how to actually do something like that (coz it most certainly comes in handy and it surely is interesting), and get a more crystallised and clear understanding of what I just said. I'm not sure though..can you judge the actual goal of the conversation before you've riddled stuff out? Can you state up front that you agree with the general outline, just not the journey there? I can, occasionally with Fi, though I do feel a burning desire to put in 'ifs' and 'buts'. If you could state upfront that you agree in general, that would save the Te-user a lot of head ache. If you do need to work yourself there, patience will be the name of the game, I guess.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=5143]Salomé[/MENTION] From the Te-side of things however..it does make driving a point home rather...frustrating at times, just so ya know :alttongue:

Of course...because your not really driving the point home to the INTP. Its a frustration based on the lack of Te's ability to get the point across.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, at least your motives are clear.
Are they? Or instead is it your motives which have been made transparent?
/ "domination, elimination, and eventual sexual conquest"
You really grabbed that bait and ran with it, eh? :popc1:

The sad thing is, if I just softened towards you a little, I'd have you eating out of my hand.
But frustratingly for you, I have no time for people who are confused about whether they want to crush me or fuck me (or both):

Your delusions are sexy.

you're just being a nitpicky Ti user with shitty Fe.

Yes, your response was unimpressive.

you don't like how INTJs prefer them another way

I'm sure some would have been more willing to accept it/let it slide than others.
You will even directly contradict yourself just so you can insult me further:
You were spot on in everything you were saying above here, and (mostly) here.
And yet:
Frankly, I think you confuse your manifestation of Fe with all INTPs' manifestation of Fe.

rejection is only one of the manifestations of the inferior.
In case it were not obvious, your delusions are NOT sexy.

My rejection of you is not related to my being in any way your inferior. Secretly you know this and it bugs the shit out of you.

*eats apple*

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you are describing and are considering wrong in my analysis (which probably is true) are the kinks of my general lines that I described.
No. I've done my best and have failed to communicate to you how your understanding is flawed. Now I'm getting bored because I don't like repeating myself.
And yes, I get that you want me to relate them properly.
You dont get it though. And you don't get us, that much is crystal. I have been showing you your mistake, you want to continue making it, that's up to you. You're in good company, most people make this mistake.

However, those things however important to you, are *exactly* the topic I want to show you by comparing it to INTJs (and the interacting conflict it gives between you two). That was the original topic. And it is an awesome demonstration of it. Your Ti wants things riddled out properly into fine detail and argues until it is riddled out.
No. These are not fine details. These are fundamental constructs. Either something is a manifestation of Si/Fe or it is not. You are diagnosing conflicting function usage as the core of the problem, so it's not a fine detail, it's the crux of your argument. You are continuing to assert the self-same argument, by calling our debate an "awesome demonstration" of your previous point. If it's a demonstration of anything, it's your inability to follow a line of thought through to its logical conclusions.. Because you misunderstand the theory, you misattribute motives and misread behaviours. This is a fundamental flaw in your understanding which invalidates your point and damages your ability to relate to INTPs. This is why sound theory / reasoning is so important. Because it's too easy to come up with "observations" that support any theory / bias you decide to adopt. (See Forer effect.) It's bigger than the INTJ vs INTP conflict - we hate each other, who cares? And it's bigger than your application to INTPs. My focus is on the skeleton of the theory. The architecture of the idea. I'm exclusively interested in a consistent and sound framework which makes sense. Since you don't have one, any argument you make is going to be flawed and I'll just dismiss it. You can continue to misread this as an obsession with Si/Fe "protocol" or whatever wildly inappropriate terms you want to dream up. You'd just be more wrong. That's ok, your Ti is weak, I get it.

The only way you might be able to get anywhere here, would be if you could argue from a theoretical framework and show how one thing implies another. You are arguing from your gut and from your experience and from a parroted rather than considered interpretation of the functions INTPs "use".
Because this jives neither with an accurate/consistent understanding of theory, nor with my own personal experience, nor with my observations of other INTPs, I am never going to agree with you.

You are keen for us to agree because you are very much interested in reconciliation. It's of no consequence to me whether we agree or not because there are zero implications resting on it and investment in a common and harmonious interpretation is an obstacle to truth. This is the core T/F conflict in a nutshell. (And it's not resolvable. And that's ok. :))
I am not saying that you are wrong. In fact, you are likely very right as this is something you've finetuned (I'm saying likely here coz my understanding of Ti is...rudimentary at best). I'm merely saying that others do not need as deep a grasp, or as much refinement when looking at something in order to grasp the general gist of it, or in order to communicate a concept to someone else, to then move on to what *they* consider the main course of that conversation.
You only think you don't need it because you don't get it. If you got it, you'd know that you need it. For you, it's an unknown unknown. For me, it's a given.

Iow, you are being too thorough and have too high a standards,
Lol. "You are being too right." Impossible. ;)
You are focused on the 'wrong' part of the conversation for INTJs (and Te-users in general probably). I'm not saying you should change your priorities, and what you consider to be vital (god knows I cant with Fi, when it comes to Fe-users). But it might help with the misunderstandings and the frustration and considering eachother moronic for not seeing this shit when keeping in mind that this to them just...aint that important.
Being right may not be important to you, but I assure you it's VERY important to an INTJ. My conflicts with them are all about the fact that they hate to be told they are wrong about anything (despite consistently doing this to others). And I do it without any kind of Fe/Fi face-saving to soften the blow. Believe me, I understand the dynamic perfectly. The frustration isn't mine. More often than not, I'm amused.
And vice versa, INTJs might want to keep in mind that their goal just aint that important to you in the discussion. From the Te-side of things however..it does make driving a point home rather...frustrating at times, just so ya know :alttongue:
Oh, yes. I'm quite aware of their frustration. Te seeks to impose itself on its environment. Ti simply resists and slowly shakes its head. It is this act of resistance that causes frustration in the Te user. If we were Fe users, we would relent in order to maintain peaceful relations. We would seek out common ground. We don't do that, because we're not. :shrug:

In a way, this situation reminds me of my math teacher first demanding that I show my work and when I get my paper back having red all over my work, but acknowledging that the result, the number I wanted to write down in the first place without showing all the work, is correct.
Except that it's the opposite. Both your answer and your working are incorrect, and one as an inevitable result of the other.

However..I think the solution in this (and perhaps you'll disagree, so feel free to reject it) is that...with a bit of benefit of the doubt from your side, I can explain the rudimentary trajectory to you, with my point. Then watch you go nuts on riddling it all out, in turn teaching me how to actually do something like that (coz it most certainly comes in handy and it surely is interesting), and get a more crystallised and clear understanding of what I just said.
That doesnt sound like fun to me. Fixing other people's mistakes is kind of a compulsion (up to a point) not my idea of a good time.

I'm not sure though..can you judge the actual goal of the conversation before you've riddled stuff out? Can you state up front that you agree with the general outline, just not the journey there?
:fpalm:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol...you must have a strong compulsion to keep doing what you do not enjoy :thinking:

It is quite idealistic of you to keep trying with such a lousy student in Ti. Moreso coz I guess my Fi agenda takes my priority: understanding where you are coming from (and where INTJs are coming from) and building a bridge. That, to me, is important yes. 'Learning Ti' is of secondary consequence, but I can see the potential for it, if I keep arguing with you. I'm only not too sure that I ehm..wouldn't piss you off before I can actually grasp enough basics to make the progress you'd like me to make (I feel like Im on a high school level, disappointing a college professor, basically). And I guess, similarly, I'm trying to spur you to see things just a tiny bit my way, and perhaps discover as you so aptly put it 'If you got it, you'd know that you need it'. Or at least, thats how I feel about this, as it is equally important to me as your need for things to be correct. It is your choice (as it is mine with Ti) of course whether or not that might be useful to you, I guess :shrug:

Fwiw, I appreciate that you did your best to explain things to me. And it wasnt completely wasted on me, it is just that it has a different priority level to me than it does to you. Rest assured that this convo, at least to me, was very illuminating.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION], I think one of the main things is that your continuing to cite cognitive functions/function order will fall flat if someone doesn't fully buy into the foundation and framework of some of the main tenets of the theory. So, speaking of cog. functions as they are presented in countless threads or websites or by 'experts' isn't going to mean a whole lot if a person doesn't accept all of that down to the foundation and also agree with the applicability of all of it and how it is used for analysis.

Only saying this because there are many people I interact with daily who don't fit all of the theory as it's often touted on the forum, so using myself as an example, I try not to bring cog. functions into anything when I'm describing myself in various threads or irl.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] If we must agree, we can agree to have different priorities. :)

Inferior Fe is not the opposite of Fe. If anything, Ti is.
I guess you missed the part where I already said that...
That's the reason those functions do not coexist well in the same character. This would be common sense, even if Jung hadn't spelled it out.
I said to suggest Fe and inf Fe are equivalent is like making those things equivalent. Love and hate is a good example. They are not opposites, and can be inspired by the same event - one is destructive, the other constructive, and sometimes one is the unconscious manifestation of the other.

Far from obsessing over professional protocols, the INTPs I know generally take them for granted. They are a complete non-issue until someone violates one. Even then, it is often quickly resolved based on seniority/leadership. Real arguments don't happen too often, but when they do, they play out as I illustrated, and are a good example of inf Fe at work.
How can they be if:
One's inferior is more like a dangerous tool in the hands of an clumsy, untutored, and ignorant user.
???
Seems like you are either contradicting yourself or else what you are observing is not, in fact, inferior Fe. Or else you have a bunch of the world's most well-adjusted INTPs, who nevertheless, manage to get on your tits because they don't share your views about who deserves credit. :shrug:

Am I wrong in thinking you're sticking in the mud on what constitutes politics? That there's some kind of flow over there (presumably--I wouldn't know) and that allegiances change means there isn't some kind of social order? Or, to put it another way, because they don't stick their protocols sufficiently in the mud themselves, their attachment to social evaluation can't constitute a social order in its own right?
I think we are wandering into "missing the point" territory. Anywhere you have more than one isolated individual, you are going to have some kind of "social order" or flow. The type of social order you arrive at will be very different with a bunch of Fe-doms than with a bunch of Ti-doms.

See, now, this kind of suggest you'e being disingenuous. Or that you think "meaningful, exploitable social capital" means "good and worthy social capital". INTPs troll. They position themselves. The whole schtick of skewering social norms and mocking another person's personal ranking is INTP crack.
Are you fond of tautologies?
INTP trolling is not about positioning themselves. It's usually about deposing others. You are observing a behaviour and imputing a universal motive.
Which is very Fe of you.

Only if Jung never said anything about inferior functions.
Jung didn't believe in INTJs. Neither do I. :p

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you fond of tautologies?

Probably. They make the Te go round.

INTP trolling is not about positioning themselves. It's usually about deposing others. You are observing a behaviour and imputing a universal motive.
Which is very Fe of you.

How is deposing others not also a positioning of self? The troller places higher automatically when the trollee is rendered lower. I'm assuming that trolling or otherwise scoring points creates a ranking. Why after all when TPs are playing nice with FJs in argument are they careful to validate other points of view?

I have of course no direct experience with any inner effect of Fe, but if it implies or impels a social ordering and pays off in good feeling when social ordering is achieved, how do Fe people ever avoid creating ranks and circles of membership?

INTJ issues
1. ENFPs
2. hostile sexuality
1+2=3. INTPs.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is deposing others not also a positioning of self? The troller places higher automatically when the trollee is rendered lower. I'm assuming that trolling or otherwise scoring points creates a ranking.
Yes. You are. Because you're a TJ, and that's what you guys are good at.
Maybe there is no ranking, just a levelling?

Actually, [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION]c they do (or used to) have this annual awards thing. Most Irritating Poster. Biggest Drama Queen. Most desired Hook-up. Person you most want to die in a fire. That kind of thing.
It's a weird blend of parody and sincerity. Like most things INTP, one can rarely be certain which is which.

I have of course no direct experience with any inner effect of Fe, but if it implies or impels a social ordering and pays off in good feeling when social ordering is achieved, how do Fe people ever avoid creating ranks and circles of membership?
I have no idea. Why should it pay off in "good feeling"? I tend to assume the rituals of Fe have evolved to stop us maiming/killing each other and that's the only purpose they serve. I could be wrong about that.

INTJ issues
1. ENFPs
2. hostile sexuality
1+2=3. INTPs.
I don't follow.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, it comes from the combination of functions. Ni makes us feel certain of the undesirable outcome, once we see a preponderance of evidence.

I wish I had the gift of Ni. As an enneagram 6, I do the same thing, of trying to predict the future to prevent bad outcomes. I just don't have a good sense of certainty about it, unless I have a hell of a lot of evidence, or unless I've been burnt badly enough either in the past or by proxy to just not care anymore.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How is deposing others not also a positioning of self? The troller places higher automatically when the trollee is rendered lower. I'm assuming that trolling or otherwise scoring points creates a ranking. Why after all when TPs are playing nice with FJs in argument are they careful to validate other points of view?

Because they have valid points when it comes to arguing :newwink:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish I had the gift of Ni. As an enneagram 6, I do the same thing, of trying to predict the future to prevent bad outcomes. I just don't have a good sense of certainty about it, unless I have a hell of a lot of evidence, or unless I've been burnt badly enough either in the past or by proxy to just not care anymore.

Bad is different to each person, so when an INTJ gets an inkling of a bad outcome, another person might not even care about it or they actually see a worse outcome. You hit the nail on the head, its all about fear...that drives bad outcomes...and we all fear different things. I dont fear being wrong, it sucks sometimes, but it doesnt drive the same fear in me as it would an INTJ. Though they seem to get stuck that everyone else is the same as them and judges others actions accordingly because they have a preponderance of evidence of an undesirable outcome. So while I may "see" what they say, its not what I care about. You also have people who can natually turn bad outcomes around and joke and laugh and have fun as well as the people who can become serious when needed and actually correct the bad outcome without even judging it as bad in the first place. I dont place much emphasis on 'bad" outcomes, more on what you do and how you handle them.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes. You are. Because you're a TJ, and that's what you guys are good at.

Yar. But the assumption is based on projecting too! I'm imagining that Fe and Te share some qualities and thus, by slippery imagistic reasoning, that displayed positioning means something for someone judging an environment in Fe terms. But...

Maybe there is no ranking, just a levelling?

Yes, this appears to be the ideology. It seems an unusual brand of humility that leads someone to create such a leveling though. Presumably, as Poki mentions, having some valid point in an argument, and therefore having a right to argue, is the ideal version of community discourse and relationship.

Naturally, of course, if a person lacks some valid point, and yet continue to pontificate or emote....

I'm sure it's materially unlikely that any person would use such a scheme of rights and advantages to afford themselves measures of security, like say a group of TPs forming cliques and congratulating themselves on their skillzors.........

I have no idea. Why should it pay off in "good feeling"? I tend to assume the rituals of Fe have evolved to stop us maiming/killing each other and that's the only purpose they serve. I could be wrong about that.

A sense of "all's right with the world" creates no satisfaction? Projecting once again, I'm under the impression that Fe, like any judgment function, is substantially dictatorial within a person--it's hard work ignoring your own sense of imbalance when the relevant realm is out of order.

I don't follow.

Dumb joke made in a hurry.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[
I guess you missed the part where I already said that...
I saw where you wrote:

Inferior Fe is not Fe. That's like saying a thing and its opposite are the same. They are not.
Which is why I answered that inf Fe and Fe are not opposites. I agree on Fe vs. Ti.

ISeems like you are either contradicting yourself or else what you are observing is not, in fact, inferior Fe. Or else you have a bunch of the world's most well-adjusted INTPs, who nevertheless, manage to get on your tits because they don't share your views about who deserves credit.
The INTPs I work with are rather well-adjusted and professional, as are the INTJs. The discussions about authorship rarely contain much animosity, and show just the tip of the inf Fe iceberg, mainly to illustrate its presence and the unconscious/subconcious nature of its use. I have seen it rear its head in much uglier ways on other topics, leading to behavior that is not always professional. It seems to manifest as a sense of personal offense, not in the Fi sense of having some fundamental personal value crossed, but in the sense of feeling the other person did not do things "the right way", didn't give the necessary people their due (Si-Fe at work). Te, wielded quite consciously and skillfully by an INTJ as an auxiliary, dispenses handily with this reflexive Fe attitude, leaving the INTP feeling more offended, and the INTJ wondering what all the fuss is about.

From the INTJ perspective, the idea of professional credit relates not so much to politics, and even less to greed/stinginess, than to accuracy. Who actually did what, or calling a spade a spade. I am willing to override this in practice for expediency, but will not pretend the reality of the situation is any different than it is.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yar. But the assumption is based on projecting too! I'm imagining that Fe and Te share some qualities and thus, by slippery imagistic reasoning, that displayed positioning means something for someone judging an environment in Fe terms. But...

Yes, this appears to be the ideology. It seems an unusual brand of humility that leads someone to create such a leveling though.
We are a lot like Jesus, tbf. Only one letter in it. :jesus:
I'm sure it's materially unlikely that any person would use such a scheme of rights and advantages to afford themselves measures of security, like say a group of TPs forming cliques and congratulating themselves on their skillzors.........
You don't seem to be able to comprehend that people can be motivated by considerations beyond accruing some kind of imaginary power or prestige... :huh:

It's interesting that you use the word "security", which would never occur to me (or probably most INTPs). It comes back to the INTJ drive for mastery being an expression of profound insecurity / fear of inadequacy.
Because you guys see everything as a play for power, you react as if a challenge is someone trying to "steal your thunder". Stop imagining you're Thor, and you stop imagining every challenger is Loki.

The reason INTPs are so comfortable challenging others and striding oblivious through political minefields, is because they don't give a shit about political capital (their own or anyone else's). Sometimes it accrues in spite of this nonchalence (as a result of boldness /integrity /skill), but they will happily gamble with it wantonly, because they still don't give a shit about it (at least, not for its own sake). Easy come, easy go. The cliques that form are a way to vent frustration with the inadequacies of the broader group rather than an exercise in building anyone up. Being frustrated by a system's inadequacies is a major theme for us. Being critical is in our DNA. We are less successful at translating that understanding of a system's flaws into a better system. Partly because we lose interest in a thing once we understand it completely.

A sense of "all's right with the world" creates no satisfaction? Projecting once again, I'm under the impression that Fe, like any judgment function, is substantially dictatorial within a person--it's hard work ignoring your own sense of imbalance when the relevant realm is out of order.
If you insist on looking at everything through the prism of Te you are never going to get anywhere with the other functions. If you can't do otherwise, then at least consider the possibility that you have considerable blind spots.

The INTPs I work with are rather well-adjusted and professional, as are the INTJs. The discussions about authorship rarely contain much animosity, and show just the tip of the inf Fe iceberg, mainly to illustrate its presence and the unconscious/subconcious nature of its use.
I don't think you've illustrated anything of the kind. You've just made a rather blinkered judgement. If it were leaking out unconsciously, it wouldn't have anything approaching "well-adjusted" expression. Only functions available to consciousness are differentiated and well-adjusted. If anything, inferior Fe might manifest as a desire to exclude others from credit on the paper. Oh wait... isn't that what you were trying to do...? :thinking:
I have seen it rear its head in much uglier ways on other topics, leading to behavior that is not always professional. It seems to manifest as a sense of personal offense, not in the Fi sense of having some fundamental personal value crossed, but in the sense of feeling the other person did not do things "the right way", didn't give the necessary people their due (Si-Fe at work).
It seems, to you. It's really rather ridiculous to use your imputed ideas of what someone else is feeling (kinda the definition of projection) as "evidence" of function usage. And you, a scientist too. *slow head shake*

From the INTJ perspective, the idea of professional credit relates not so much to politics, and even less to greed/stinginess, than to accuracy. Who actually did what, or calling a spade a spade. I am willing to override this in practice for expediency, but will not pretend the reality of the situation is any different than it is.
Again, instead of a more nuanced understanding of the subjective nature of the value of an individual's contribution, you just dismiss every other view with the insistance that your's is the only one that accords with "reality". Yes, very Te. This is guaranteed to piss an INTP off.

Many INTPs have a profound sense of justice which derives from their own values and not from the environment (Fi). They are oftentimes accustomed to being stomped on by overweening jerks (frequently Te-users) so it's possible that their empathy for the person you wish to dismiss/discredit is activated and that is the reason for their defence. (Fi).

Fe would instead motivate them to seek an external authority or else consensus, to determine who "rightly deserves" credit. Actually, they seem to be using Fi. Perhaps you can't see that because you don't have any. Ironically, the way you back down "for expediency" and cow tow to a belief you do not personally hold can be seen as another unhealthy manifestation of Fe - but it's yours, not theirs.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's interesting that you use the word "security", which would never occur to me (or probably most INTPs). It comes back to the INTJ drive for mastery being an expression of profound insecurity / fear of inadequacy.
This seems more characteristic of enneagram 5, especially sp variants, than INTJ specifically. Many INTJs are 5 sp, so there is overlap. Many INTP are 5 as well. In fact, some of these behaviors are more readily explained by enneagram than MBTI. INTJ 5 will behave differently from 8, 1, or others. Similarly for different INTP.

Because you guys see everything as a play for power, you react as if a challenge is someone trying to "steal your thunder". Stop imagining you're Thor, and you stop imagining every challenger is Loki.

The reason INTPs are so comfortable challenging others and striding oblivious through political minefields, is because they don't give a shit about political capital (their own or anyone else's). Sometimes it accrues in spite of this nonchalence (as a result of boldness /integrity /skill), but they will happily gamble with it wantonly, because they still don't give a shit about it (at least, not for its own sake). Easy come, easy go.
We don't take things nearly as personally as all this. If we play for power, it is only because of what we can do with that power. Same with political capital. If we can't use it for something, there is no point in bothering about it.

If you insist on looking at everything through the prism of Te you are never going to get anywhere with the other functions. If you can't do otherwise, then at least consider the possibility that you have considerable blind spots.
This much is correct, as I have mentioned in several threads.

I don't think you've illustrated anything of the kind. You've just made a rather blinkered judgement. If it were leaking out unconsciously, it wouldn't have anything approaching "well-adjusted" expression. Only functions available to consciousness are differentiated and well-adjusted. If anything, inferior Fe might manifest as a desire to exclude others from credit on the paper. Oh wait... isn't that what you were trying to do...? :thinking:
It seems, to you. It's really rather ridiculous to use your imputed ideas of what someone else is feeling (kinda the definition of projection) as "evidence" of function usage.
A person need not be perfect to be well-adjusted. This just means that they will have fewer and more minor uncontrolled inferior expressions, and be better able to override them. They will still have them, and for INTP, they often look like what I described. Less well-adjusted people will allow their inferior expressions to get the better of them more often. I know one or two of those as well.

Many INTPs have a profound sense of justice which derives from their own values and not from the environment (Fi). They are oftentimes accustomed to being stomped on by overweening jerks (frequently Te-users) so it's possible that their empathy for the person you wish to dismiss/discredit is activated and that is the reason for their defence. (Fi).

Fe would instead motivate them to seek an external authority or else consensus, to determine who "rightly deserves" credit. Actually, they seem to be using Fi. Perhaps you can't see that because you don't have any. Ironically, the way you back down "for expediency" and cow tow to a belief you do not personally hold can be seen as another unhealthy manifestation of Fe - but it's yours, not theirs.
This is backwards. Yes, the highlighted is characteristic of Fi, but as such it is typical of INTJs and other TJs, not INTPs. It was my own motivation in arguing for the inclusion of the author I mentioned several posts ago. ( I'm no expert in Fi, but my Fe is far, far worse. ) The INTPs I work with will indeed reference an external standard (Fe): what is customary for the particular journal, conference, or type of work; what is usually done in our organization. They will suggest asking the opinion of other colleagues or a mentor/supervisor. I generally go along with this, as a reality/sanity check.

As you often do, you are using loaded words to try to make my comment fit your argument. You are also overlooking the distinction between actions and principles. As my original comment stated, I do not back down on beliefs, but sometimes compromise on actions. I will keep calling that spade a spade. If my boss or even a colleague, however, insists that we consider it artwork for the lobby, I might choose to go along out of expediency. This has nothing to do with the social harmony of Fe. I do not care about maintaining good relations with colleagues or even the boss for its own sake, but rather because if I do, I can get more accomplished. It might look like I am compromising my principles, but what I am in fact doing is giving one principle precedence over another. In this case something Ni-Te-like over something more Fi-like. How willing I am to compromise on what action is taken depends significantly on the situation.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
We are a lot like Jesus, tbf. Only one letter in it. :jesus:
You don't seem to be able to comprehend that people can be motivated by considerations beyond accruing some kind of imaginary power or prestige... :huh:

Actually, I'm just using words that I'm supposing are supposed to go with inferior considerations. Inferior Se for instance manifests not rarely as exaggerated concerns for physical security. And inferior Fe doesn't manifest as exaggerated concern for intellectual security? As in, for example, WE SO DON'T CARE ABOUT EMO! WE'RE TEH ANTi-EMO! And then getting together in groups for a puerile togetherness of how un-emo we all are?

If I may, "If you aren't aware of it, that's not surprising. I suppose that's what makes these threads so valuable..."

The reason INTPs are so comfortable challenging others and striding oblivious through political minefields, is because they don't give a shit about political capital (their own or anyone else's). Sometimes it accrues in spite of this nonchalence (as a result of boldness /integrity /skill), but they will happily gamble with it wantonly, because they still don't give a shit about it (at least, not for its own sake). Easy come, easy go. The cliques that form are a way to vent frustration with the inadequacies of the broader group rather than an exercise in building anyone up. Being frustrated by a system's inadequacies is a major theme for us. Being critical is in our DNA. We are less successful at translating that understanding of a system's flaws into a better system. Partly because we lose interest in a thing once we understand it completely.

Probably all true. Except maybe "don't give a shit" might perhaps be "don't know how to give a shit"... Or perhaps "Feel undermined by sometimes having to give a shit". Ironically thereby giving a shit. A reverse shit of sorts, an anti-voiding where shit is sucked up into the person. Leading perhaps to the sometimes heard suggestion that INTPs are full of concern for the well being of others.

I'm kind of surprised you're unwilling to admit to how much INTPs do bend to social winds. From the outside it seems clear that you guys do adhere to weirdly ritualistic interpersonal norms. To admit it would release much of its power.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Te, wielded quite consciously and skillfully by an INTJ as an auxiliary, dispenses handily with this reflexive Fe attitude, leaving the INTP feeling more offended, and the INTJ wondering what all the fuss is about.

I have yet to experience this from Te, not even an ISTJ. I have yet to be offended by an IxTJ. You sure your dealing with TP? Or are you possibly just feeling the fact that you offended him good and are just patting yourself on the back?

The INTPs I know dont care about politics crap. I have even known one who hung a shower curtain on his cube just for shits and giggles among other things that really irritated the crap out of the manager 2 levels up. He also used to do things he shouldnt have done, but needed to be done because of the politics crap that people have to wade through to get things done in a heavy Te environment. And then he started to become bitter because the hand of the law came down when what he did helped and advanced things. Curious if that would be inferior Fe and leads to the bitterness.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Fine.

Imma assume for a moment that I don't know what Fe is. Intellectually I'd like to call it a cognitive approach centered on deliberating over and developing the mechanisms of social and socially expressed value. Where that even an adequate approximation, I still wouldn't know what Fe feels like. Thus, when I see a person I've typed as TP displaying some kind of reaction to some kind of stimulus, I don't actually know if I'm witnessing feeling and evaluation. But I see them doing something. INTPs display concern and angst in my presence. They are watchful. They will sometimes display a seeming anger of sorts. One or two notable times I've discussed some issue with an INTP and near the end of the discussion I've attempted to back up and state the plan or decision that has been accepted. This causes negative display. It looks for all the world like they're offended, as if by attempting to bluntly reinforce the decision or plan I am questioning their resolve. You freaks are touch-eeeeee.

Most of the rest of the time though, in the worlds I move in, it's been the one or two INTPs I've met who've been the most genuinely pleasant of interlocutors. The interest in objectivity, the willingness to discuss, the humour.... they've all been welcome.