First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

therapists are a waste of money.

You need to understand what investing is in general. I'm not talking about money, I'm talking about how to do something to feedback benefits to yourself.

work, eat, invest. investing feeds back into making work easier.

eating less than you work is savings. But the thing is that your parents are giving you more than you are working. And you are probably eating more than you are working. This is a crime in my book because tyrants enslave nations in the same way.

If someone moves my legs for me, my muscles will atrophy.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Therapists are very often not a waste of money, particularly not where real mental health issues are involved. However, they're not always indicated, people vary wildly in how much they get out of therapy, and they cannot *solve* problems. But they can be valuable for making you realise where the problems are, which is often the hardest thing to get going on. It's very difficult to make any headway if you don't know where to begin.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INtP
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by think2much View Post
    Why can't I do anything right? A simple task like washing dishes or anything takes a lot of toll on me. Any small type of work I stress about it and self-destruct. I always been this way since a kid, never did anything, never had good grades, never listend to parents, just living inside my head. It's like a war in my head but at the same time I space out in reality. Do everyone have a talent or some sort of a gift in life? I can't think of anything besides being negative and cynical. I spend most of my days fantasizing about romance worthless stuff that'll never be reality.

I been trying to help around the house by doing chores but nothing gets done. I'm tired of my parents wasting money on me and I feel terrible just taking stuff. I wanna be able to help them but I can't. I know they don't have a lot of money so I feel like it's a waste to spend it on someone like me. I think I gave up on myself long time ago.

Before you start telling me to get help, I already talked to someone couple years ago and I find it to be pointless. It's like going to a therapist cause your broke, well therapist can't help you but getting a job will. I'm not sure why I'm making this thread. I been trying to stay postive and tell myself not to stress or worry about it but I always tend to have major break down everyday. I just feel so worthless.
    This really, REALLY sounds like undiagnosed attention deficit -- the inattentive kind, not the hyperactive kind. This was me, for years, before I was diagnosed and started taking medication. Doing the dishes shouldn't take that much of a toll on anyone -- if it does, you need more dopamine! It's not your fault, seriously, just go get tested, try out a few of the different treatments, and you'll finally be able to live up to your potential. You won't necessarily need to take medication all the time, but taking it for a while will at least get you into some good habits and show you that you CAN be productive. (If you're one of those people who hates drugs, you can always try lifestyle-management and cognitive behavioral therapy. Knowing that it's probably ADD can at least help you find resources that have helped other people with the same problem.)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^ This is a great post, @Spin.

My first reaction in reading your OP, @think2much is that there is an imbalance happening in your mind and body that may require medication. If it isn't something like Spin describes, it could be depression, or something along those lines. If you were not able to help out with housework because you had a clear physical illness, you probably would not let it ruin the way you feel about yourself because it would make sense. Something akin to that could be going on with you. I take medication for a chemical imbalance and it makes all the difference - mine is something different that you describe, but the principle is the same. I can get a lot more done when I'm not dealing with physical pain and anxiety. I hope you can reach a point where you understand the reasons behind your obstacles, then get a boost of help and not blame yourself.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I just hope think2much is still alive.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Why can't I do anything right? A simple task like washing dishes or anything takes a lot of toll on me. Any small type of work I stress about it and self-destruct. I always been this way since a kid, never did anything, never had good grades, never listend to parents, just living inside my head. It's like a war in my head but at the same time I space out in reality. Do everyone have a talent or some sort of a gift in life? I can't think of anything besides being negative and cynical. I spend most of my days fantasizing about romance worthless stuff that'll never be reality.

I been trying to help around the house by doing chores but nothing gets done. I'm tired of my parents wasting money on me and I feel terrible just taking stuff. I wanna be able to help them but I can't. I know they don't have a lot of money so I feel like it's a waste to spend it on someone like me. I think I gave up on myself long time ago.

Read this book, it will be well-worth your time. http://www.amazon.com/Learned-Optimi...arned+Optimism

This isn't a self-help book, Martin Seligman is an eminent psychologist and the founder of modern scholarly enterprise of positive psychology. All of the studies that he references in the book have been peer-reviewed and you can be sure that if he makes a recommendation, there is a good chance that it is supported by a defensible argument. That does not mean that you should blindly assume that everything he writes is true, it means that you should take it seriously and analyze it with an open mind.

Why do you seem to struggle with activities that even a monkey can do? Are they really that difficult? Is there something about your genetic composition or fundamental qualities of character that makes you unlikely to succeed at these trivial tasks? Unlikely, the real reason is that you're not properly motivated. Many people in your situation tend to be chronic pessimists and that prevents them from entering the proper mindset to succeed at the relatively simple tasks. If you change your mindset, you'll not only become more efficient, but you'll also be more likely to actualize your potential at things that matter to you, and yes it is a well documented fact that moderate pessimists and optimists almost always outperform radical pessimists in professional undertakings and challenging hobbies.

Before you start telling me to get help, I already talked to someone couple years ago and I find it to be pointless. It's like going to a therapist cause your broke, well therapist can't help you but getting a job will. I'm not sure why I'm making this thread. I been trying to stay postive and tell myself not to stress or worry about it but I always tend to have major break down everyday. I just feel so worthless.
    Telling yourself to be positive is completely useless, "the power of positive thinking" is not your answer. There is no sense in telling yourself that everything is great and that "every day, in every way, I get better and better" when the evidence scarcely supports such outlandish claims or even flatly contradicts it. What you need is evidence-based optimism or at least mitigated pessimism. Study this book, do the exercises diligently and consistently practice enhancing your mental state, it will pay off eventually. If you are consistent, you'll begin seeing significant results within a few weeks.
    Last edited by SolitaryWalker; 01-07-2013 at 07:52 AM.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."
    - Richard Bach

What a sad sack you are. Apparently, you have nothing of any worth so you're fishing for some free pity? Why bother posting if you're such a useless waste of a human being? I don't think you've quite given up as much as you want everyone to believe. If you're so sick and tired of being a mooching pity party, what are you doing about it (I mean besides giving up on yourself before you even start)? You act as if you should be able to handle mundane tasks without having taken the time to learn how to do them right. That's not how it works. What you really need is to build your confidence. I'm not sure what that will be for you, but you really need to stop wallowing in despair and start challenging yourself. You have two choices: stay as miserable as you are right now, or do something different and see what happens. What's it going to be?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    - Richard Bach

What a sad sack you are. Apparently, you have nothing of any worth so you're fishing for some free pity? Why bother posting if you're such a useless waste of a human being? I don't think you've quite given up as much as you want everyone to believe. If you're so sick and tired of being a mooching pity party, what are you doing about it (I mean besides giving up on yourself before you even start)? You act as if you should be able to handle mundane tasks without having taken the time to learn how to do them right. That's not how it works. What you really need is to build your confidence. I'm not sure what that will be for you, but you really need to stop wallowing in despair and start challenging yourself. You have two choices: stay as miserable as you are right now, or do something different and see what happens. What's it going to be?
    I agree with you but that won't work on him. He always posts this stuff.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

So he's jus the resident "self-pity guy" on this board? I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    TiNe

Well, I think that is just connected with 'the asbesnt minded' aspect.
    We just think. Overthink. And when thinking just about ANYTHING we don't focus on the little things in life. Our head is in the sky and not on earth. So you just are bound to make stupid mistakes. (believe me, you're not the only INTP who is 'useless' - which is actually not true, nobody's useless)
    Also, when doing little things wrong, don't take notice of that and focus your interest on something else, look for an interest that is also physical - that will make you DO something. It helps a lot.
    The fact that you think you're self destructive is because you take too much notice of those little mistakes. Avoid that, and it'll be better. It's the little things that decide the big things (too - there are more factors of course).
    And you are definetly not USELESS. Just think of Isaac Newton (INTP) - was he ever useless?
    I am sorry that I biased my response on Myer-Briggs but, I don't know you well enough to give you a personal answer.

But you're definetly not useless.
    That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet~~ Shakespeare W.
    Pi is the number of my life, forever and ending.
    Reading is like meeting a new world, or even better: the world that is supposed to be.

Phlegmatic
    5w6 (60%) OR 7w6(40%) (I get both quite a lot on tests) Chakra: Root, Throat, Third Eye, Crown (open) - Rest (closed)
    Trifix: 5w6, 1w2, 3w2.
    INTP: I(87,5%)N(74%)T(91%)P(56%)
    Ti - Ne
    ENFP/J's