• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP or INTP (Ne or Ni)

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is usually a common problem for most lead Ti-ers new to Psychological Types. I find that I neither fit the typical ISTP or INTP mold, and therefore am very confused about which type I am. The way I see it is: I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.
I love both theoretical and factual information, and it depends more on which field I am interested in instead of how "useful" the information is. I can use the information for introspection or evaluations that others may not consider, so the "ISTPs love practicality and INTPs love theory" stereotype is pretty much useless to me.
I find myself to be more of a realist and a "here and now" person, though I don't know if that's because of my own doing. I read many books which discussed the topic of appreciating what you have and living for each day, and I was deeply influenced by the arguments they presented. I don't always have that mindset, but I'm focused on the present because I have been taught that there might not always be a tomorrow.
I'm very curious, and can always think up 10 more questions when a piece of information is proposed or conveyed. However, I'm impatient and lose interest if my questions are not adequately addressed. The larger underlying problem is that I'm very insecure about my own intelligence and if I don't understand an explanation, I'll consider myself a failure. Having SJ parents who were very confused by me and my questions did not help my cause.
I enjoy physical experience, though I do not enjoy sports or a large amount of physical activity. I actually enjoy doing menial and repetitive tasks because they give me the illusion of action but actually free my mind up for deep introverted introspection/imagining stories/telling myself jokes.
I enjoy listening to other INTPs, and I find I can follow them most of the time, but it makes me insecure about my own intelligence when they won't explain things I don't understand. I don't know if this is if I lack Ne, I lack background knowledge of the topic at hand, or I'm just stupid. Did I mention I was insecure about my cognitive ability? LOL
I'm very resourceful and a great troubleshooter, which is usually an ISTP trait.
I think the biggest confusion for me is the difference between Ne and Ni. I'm a strong intuitive person, and I find that most ISTPs have strong Ni's, which makes crappy online descriptions innaccurate when they assume that ISTPs only use Ti-Se. If an ISTP and an INTP can both give me some input and take me through their thought processes with Ne vs. Ni, that would be a huge help.
Sorry for the novel, and thanks for your help!

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Think and ask others if you have Se.

ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.

So, you know ... about that comment "dull INTP = very smart ISTP" - it all comes with a price :)

Good luck

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This is usually a common problem for most lead Ti-ers new to Psychological Types.

Well I read your first sentence and thought intp. In your first post on an established typology forum you start in your first sentence to lecture people. Thats normally intp-style :).

I havent read any further but thats not because of you but because I never usually read more than the key sentences of posts. People just talk too much. :)

Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forums

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Look in to interaction styles. ISTPs tend to be chart the course while INTPs tend to be behind the scenes.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The way I see it is: I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.

*reading grinds to a halt*

ISTPs are no less "creative" than INTPs. While there is some correlation for intelligence, the difference between the two types is almost negligible.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.

I think that's mostly true, but I don't think it's always true. I can think of two INTPs off the top of my head that seem more approachable to people than I am. They also seem to enjoy being more social than I do.

To the OP: I think both INTPs and ISTPs could struggle with being secure with their own intelligence. Although I think it's more a matter of how other people may view their intelligence than feeling intelligent themselves. INTPs do seem to accept the value of their ideas a little better than ISTPs, but I don't really base that off of much.

Anyways, there's a lot of good ideas here. If you want to look more into Ni/Ne difference, I talked a little bit about my tertiary Ni in this post. There's a lot of other good posts from Ni users here too.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am ISTP and not INTP because I first look at the facts and details (Se), and then based on those I piece them together into a big picture (Ni).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watch ENTPs and ESTPs and try to tell which of them are more similar to you.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
*reading grinds to a halt*

ISTPs are no less "creative" than INTPs. While there is some correlation for intelligence, the difference between the two types is almost negligible.

Istps are crafty INTPs are imaginative. Both are creative.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Could be helpful: When does an ISTP look like an INTP or INTJ? - The Fine Art of Clarifying Type

[ISTPs] get involved in an activity, get caught up in the pure joy of doing, and thus become skilled. Rationals need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need.

An INTP described his preferred work style as exploring problems and sub-problems (Ne), while his ISTP colleague described a tactical trouble shooting approach with a focus on getting the task done (Se).

Don't let N bias get in your way - like Jix said, both IxTPs can be (usually are) smart, creative, and intuitive. Whether your intuition is ISTP's Ni-style (reducing towards the universal) or INTP's Ne-style (broadening towards the universal) can help point you in the right direction.

ISTPs frequently engage their Relief Role process (tertiary) of introverted iNtuiting and enjoy looking at whole systems and patterns and getting a sense of what will happen in the future.

Ss more often start with reality and translate to theory and Ns more often start with theory and translate to reality. Generally to Ns theory feels more like truth, while reality feels more sporadic and chaotic. To Ss it is generally the opposite - reality is truth and theory is created to describe reality.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Look in to interaction styles. ISTPs tend to be chart the course while INTPs tend to be behind the scenes.

Yeah, this is a good way to go.

Just the other night I was with a group of acquaintances, one whom I had initially kinda pegged as an ENTJ because in a group setting she seems outgoing, directive/confident, very *present*. But mbti came up for a bit and she said 'Oh, I tested as the Mechanic'. And I'm like, 'Oh, ISTP?' and she said yes. And then I thought about it and could see it. I think it was her interaction style that confused me; also mistook her presence/confidence as extroversion. And, too, she's the only female ISTP that I know at this point. (although given that I apparently really suck at typing people, I probably know others ;)) She's very cool/fun/smart/worldly/personable. Engineer who also did the peace corp in Africa for a few yrs. VERY funny/uses a lot of humor too. But yeah, one of the first words I'd use to describe her is 'present' - must be the Se. Not really a head-in-the-clouds sort.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.
No.
No. (although I'd agree that ISTPs are more likely to be so than INTPs)

Interaction styles is a good one to look at. Descriptions are borderline useless, since they assume intelligence is the main dividing factor. Similar thing with the tests.

I think another big divider might be how often you extensively research things (not just a quick google) just because you're interested vs. because it has a practical use. I'll read about things just for fun all the time, but I won't get too in depth unless I need the information for something - otherwise it gets boring pretty quickly.

It might help to compare yourself to near types, too (i.e do you resonate more with ISFP than INFP, or ENTP than ESTP)

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
It's interesting to see all of this insight on the matter. i relate strongly to the Ni "aha!" moments that other ISTPs describe, and I'm surprised how strongly ISPs use their intuition. I've had tell-tale signs of an iNtuitive ever since I was a pretty young kid, even though I was mistrustful of my sudden gut-feelings. I'm still not sure how Ne works, so there's a possibility that I might have been using that all along. Can an INTP/ENTP/INFP/ENFP explain in a lot of detail how their Ne works and how it possibly differs from Ni?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Think and ask others if you have Se.

Good luck

I know plenty of antisocial ISTPs and socially graceful INTPs. Neither strikes me as likely to win any popularity contests. If an introvert were to win, I'd guess it would be ISFJ. They are down to earth, on top of social conventions and have auxilary Fe which helps with knowing whats acceptable or not in social situations.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know plenty of antisocial ISTPs and socially graceful INTPs. Neither strikes me as likely to win any popularity contests. If an introvert were to win, I'd guess it would be ISFJ. They are down to earth, on top of social conventions and have auxilary Fe which helps with knowing whats acceptable or not in social situations.

Aren't we touchy :)

No. Se makes people popular in terms of "high school popular".

It makes ISTPs the guys, who silently kick ass (Clint Eastwood).

You can distinguish between sweeping generalizations based on vague descriptions and what's more likely to happen based on the functions they prefer. It's hard to care about the physical world so much (Se) and end up looking all fucked up. Some Se people do it but that doesn't mean that statistically they aren't likelier than NTs to spend more time in the gym/trying out clothes/all around developing all those things in the realms of Se.

Like, how much does an ESFP care about the truth (a.k.a. logical consistency)? Will they be willing to turn into a social reject but compromise truth :) It's not as if the lack of Ti makes them stupider but they are less likely to have high test scores than the average INTP on timed, logical tests. I like tests and logical problems. They make me FEEL good.

The same way caring about the physical makes Se people feel good (IMO).

Note: If anybody thinks I am wrong about Se, feel free to correct me - I don't have personal xp.

It's interesting to see all of this insight on the matter. i relate strongly to the Ni "aha!" moments that other ISTPs describe, and I'm surprised how strongly ISPs use their intuition. I've had tell-tale signs of an iNtuitive ever since I was a pretty young kid, even though I was mistrustful of my sudden gut-feelings. I'm still not sure how Ne works, so there's a possibility that I might have been using that all along. Can an INTP/ENTP/INFP/ENFP explain in a lot of detail how their Ne works and how it possibly differs from Ni?

Somewhere on the NET ISTPs were described as the most N of the S types.

Most descriptions do NOT mention the third function at all. For example ENTPs are much more concerned with social harmony than most descriptions would suggest :) (read: we are really nice and polite all around :) Or how sensitive IxTJs are (tert Fi).

I know an ISTP very well and he too has a problem with a description that does not account for his Ni.

IMO Ne is reading a book for an hour, jumping though paragraphs and still knowing the full story at the end (with all "detail errors" this invites). Having faith that it's the way I "think" it is, even if I don't know how I know this. Pretty impressive from afar but once you look closer you see all the loopholes and assumptions.

Or in Ne language: Ne is the intricate and beautiful lace cloth that will shine from afar but leave you cold.
Si is the good, honest, sturdy cloth that looks plain but will keep you warm when you need it the most.

ENFPs in general are more talkative about Ne. This thread has some fun stuff (as a time waster).

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aren't we touchy :)

No. Se makes people popular in terms of "high school popular".

It makes ISTPs the guys, who silently kick ass (Clint Eastwood).

You can distinguish between sweeping generalizations based on vague descriptions and what's more likely to happen based on the functions they prefer. It's hard to care about the physical world so much (Se) and end up looking all fucked up. Some Se people do it but that doesn't mean that statistically they aren't likelier than NTs to spend more time in the gym/trying out clothes/all around developing all those things in the realms of Se.

It depends on how you define "popular". If you're thinking about the stereotypical high school jock, then I could see ISTP ranking pretty high. If you're thinking more in terms of someone who is popular because they are kind and considerate to everyone, I would see that as more Fe.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol high school jocks.

I used to be the soccer jock but then I became lazy and started packing the jelly roles lol. SPs can either be active and all over the place or procrastinating and doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING... ah yes, the good life =)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Once I learned INTPs I realized I would never confuse myself as an INTP ;) Hang out with INTPs and see how you do. When I first started I spent a month or 2 at INTPc, yeah...people would go to them for help and they would bend the person around MBTI theory instead of actually working with the person. I was like what the hell...why dont you just ask the person. They were to busy arguing about theory, havnt been back since. It seemed pointless and like there were always going about things backasswards.