User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default ISTP or INTP (Ne or Ni)

This is usually a common problem for most lead Ti-ers new to Psychological Types. I find that I neither fit the typical ISTP or INTP mold, and therefore am very confused about which type I am. The way I see it is: I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.
    I love both theoretical and factual information, and it depends more on which field I am interested in instead of how "useful" the information is. I can use the information for introspection or evaluations that others may not consider, so the "ISTPs love practicality and INTPs love theory" stereotype is pretty much useless to me.
    I find myself to be more of a realist and a "here and now" person, though I don't know if that's because of my own doing. I read many books which discussed the topic of appreciating what you have and living for each day, and I was deeply influenced by the arguments they presented. I don't always have that mindset, but I'm focused on the present because I have been taught that there might not always be a tomorrow.
    I'm very curious, and can always think up 10 more questions when a piece of information is proposed or conveyed. However, I'm impatient and lose interest if my questions are not adequately addressed. The larger underlying problem is that I'm very insecure about my own intelligence and if I don't understand an explanation, I'll consider myself a failure. Having SJ parents who were very confused by me and my questions did not help my cause.
    I enjoy physical experience, though I do not enjoy sports or a large amount of physical activity. I actually enjoy doing menial and repetitive tasks because they give me the illusion of action but actually free my mind up for deep introverted introspection/imagining stories/telling myself jokes.
    I enjoy listening to other INTPs, and I find I can follow them most of the time, but it makes me insecure about my own intelligence when they won't explain things I don't understand. I don't know if this is if I lack Ne, I lack background knowledge of the topic at hand, or I'm just stupid. Did I mention I was insecure about my cognitive ability? LOL
    I'm very resourceful and a great troubleshooter, which is usually an ISTP trait.
    I think the biggest confusion for me is the difference between Ne and Ni. I'm a strong intuitive person, and I find that most ISTPs have strong Ni's, which makes crappy online descriptions innaccurate when they assume that ISTPs only use Ti-Se. If an ISTP and an INTP can both give me some input and take me through their thought processes with Ne vs. Ni, that would be a huge help.
    Sorry for the novel, and thanks for your help!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Think and ask others if you have Se.

ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.

So, you know ... about that comment "dull INTP = very smart ISTP" - it all comes with a price

Good luck

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    This is usually a common problem for most lead Ti-ers new to Psychological Types.
    Well I read your first sentence and thought intp. In your first post on an established typology forum you start in your first sentence to lecture people. Thats normally intp-style .

I havent read any further but thats not because of you but because I never usually read more than the key sentences of posts. People just talk too much.

Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forums
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Look in to interaction styles. ISTPs tend to be chart the course while INTPs tend to be behind the scenes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    The way I see it is: I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.
    *reading grinds to a halt*

ISTPs are no less "creative" than INTPs. While there is some correlation for intelligence, the difference between the two types is almost negligible.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.
    I think that's mostly true, but I don't think it's always true. I can think of two INTPs off the top of my head that seem more approachable to people than I am. They also seem to enjoy being more social than I do.

To the OP: I think both INTPs and ISTPs could struggle with being secure with their own intelligence. Although I think it's more a matter of how other people may view their intelligence than feeling intelligent themselves. INTPs do seem to accept the value of their ideas a little better than ISTPs, but I don't really base that off of much.

Anyways, there's a lot of good ideas here. If you want to look more into Ni/Ne difference, I talked a little bit about my tertiary Ni in this post. There's a lot of other good posts from Ni users here too.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I am ISTP and not INTP because I first look at the facts and details (Se), and then based on those I piece them together into a big picture (Ni).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Watch ENTPs and ESTPs and try to tell which of them are more similar to you.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned

I use Ni when the facts in front of me are unclear and I'm unsure.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    *reading grinds to a halt*

ISTPs are no less "creative" than INTPs. While there is some correlation for intelligence, the difference between the two types is almost negligible.
    Istps are crafty INTPs are imaginative. Both are creative.