User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Could be helpful: When does an ISTP look like an INTP or INTJ? - The Fine Art of Clarifying Type

[ISTPs] get involved in an activity, get caught up in the pure joy of doing, and thus become skilled. Rationals need to feel competent and often want a measure of competence before they even do something. To practice or “do” means failure and that often can strike at the core need.

An INTP described his preferred work style as exploring problems and sub-problems (Ne), while his ISTP colleague described a tactical trouble shooting approach with a focus on getting the task done (Se).
    Don't let N bias get in your way - like Jix said, both IxTPs can be (usually are) smart, creative, and intuitive. Whether your intuition is ISTP's Ni-style (reducing towards the universal) or INTP's Ne-style (broadening towards the universal) can help point you in the right direction.

ISTPs frequently engage their Relief Role process (tertiary) of introverted iNtuiting and enjoy looking at whole systems and patterns and getting a sense of what will happen in the future.
    Ss more often start with reality and translate to theory and Ns more often start with theory and translate to reality. Generally to Ns theory feels more like truth, while reality feels more sporadic and chaotic. To Ss it is generally the opposite - reality is truth and theory is created to describe reality.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Look in to interaction styles. ISTPs tend to be chart the course while INTPs tend to be behind the scenes.
    Yeah, this is a good way to go.

Just the other night I was with a group of acquaintances, one whom I had initially kinda pegged as an ENTJ because in a group setting she seems outgoing, directive/confident, very *present*. But mbti came up for a bit and she said 'Oh, I tested as the Mechanic'. And I'm like, 'Oh, ISTP?' and she said yes. And then I thought about it and could see it. I think it was her interaction style that confused me; also mistook her presence/confidence as extroversion. And, too, she's the only female ISTP that I know at this point. (although given that I apparently really suck at typing people, I probably know others ) She's very cool/fun/smart/worldly/personable. Engineer who also did the peace corp in Africa for a few yrs. VERY funny/uses a lot of humor too. But yeah, one of the first words I'd use to describe her is 'present' - must be the Se. Not really a head-in-the-clouds sort.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    I am either a very smart, creative, and intuitive ISTP, or a dull, creative-lacking INTP.
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.
    No. (although I'd agree that ISTPs are more likely to be so than INTPs)

Interaction styles is a good one to look at. Descriptions are borderline useless, since they assume intelligence is the main dividing factor. Similar thing with the tests.

I think another big divider might be how often you extensively research things (not just a quick google) just because you're interested vs. because it has a practical use. I'll read about things just for fun all the time, but I won't get too in depth unless I need the information for something - otherwise it gets boring pretty quickly.

It might help to compare yourself to near types, too (i.e do you resonate more with ISFP than INFP, or ENTP than ESTP)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

It's interesting to see all of this insight on the matter. i relate strongly to the Ni "aha!" moments that other ISTPs describe, and I'm surprised how strongly ISPs use their intuition. I've had tell-tale signs of an iNtuitive ever since I was a pretty young kid, even though I was mistrustful of my sudden gut-feelings. I'm still not sure how Ne works, so there's a possibility that I might have been using that all along. Can an INTP/ENTP/INFP/ENFP explain in a lot of detail how their Ne works and how it possibly differs from Ni?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Think and ask others if you have Se.

ISTPs are the most likable and socially popular introverts. INTPs are the opposite.

Good luck
    I know plenty of antisocial ISTPs and socially graceful INTPs. Neither strikes me as likely to win any popularity contests. If an introvert were to win, I'd guess it would be ISFJ. They are down to earth, on top of social conventions and have auxilary Fe which helps with knowing whats acceptable or not in social situations.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I know plenty of antisocial ISTPs and socially graceful INTPs. Neither strikes me as likely to win any popularity contests. If an introvert were to win, I'd guess it would be ISFJ. They are down to earth, on top of social conventions and have auxilary Fe which helps with knowing whats acceptable or not in social situations.
    Aren't we touchy

No. Se makes people popular in terms of "high school popular".

It makes ISTPs the guys, who silently kick ass (Clint Eastwood).

You can distinguish between sweeping generalizations based on vague descriptions and what's more likely to happen based on the functions they prefer. It's hard to care about the physical world so much (Se) and end up looking all fucked up. Some Se people do it but that doesn't mean that statistically they aren't likelier than NTs to spend more time in the gym/trying out clothes/all around developing all those things in the realms of Se.

Like, how much does an ESFP care about the truth (a.k.a. logical consistency)? Will they be willing to turn into a social reject but compromise truth It's not as if the lack of Ti makes them stupider but they are less likely to have high test scores than the average INTP on timed, logical tests. I like tests and logical problems. They make me FEEL good.

The same way caring about the physical makes Se people feel good (IMO).

Note: If anybody thinks I am wrong about Se, feel free to correct me - I don't have personal xp.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBorealis View Post
    It's interesting to see all of this insight on the matter. i relate strongly to the Ni "aha!" moments that other ISTPs describe, and I'm surprised how strongly ISPs use their intuition. I've had tell-tale signs of an iNtuitive ever since I was a pretty young kid, even though I was mistrustful of my sudden gut-feelings. I'm still not sure how Ne works, so there's a possibility that I might have been using that all along. Can an INTP/ENTP/INFP/ENFP explain in a lot of detail how their Ne works and how it possibly differs from Ni?
    Somewhere on the NET ISTPs were described as the most N of the S types.

Most descriptions do NOT mention the third function at all. For example ENTPs are much more concerned with social harmony than most descriptions would suggest (read: we are really nice and polite all around Or how sensitive IxTJs are (tert Fi).

I know an ISTP very well and he too has a problem with a description that does not account for his Ni.

IMO Ne is reading a book for an hour, jumping though paragraphs and still knowing the full story at the end (with all "detail errors" this invites). Having faith that it's the way I "think" it is, even if I don't know how I know this. Pretty impressive from afar but once you look closer you see all the loopholes and assumptions.

Or in Ne language: Ne is the intricate and beautiful lace cloth that will shine from afar but leave you cold.
    Si is the good, honest, sturdy cloth that looks plain but will keep you warm when you need it the most.

ENFPs in general are more talkative about Ne. This thread has some fun stuff (as a time waster).

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Aren't we touchy

No. Se makes people popular in terms of "high school popular".

It makes ISTPs the guys, who silently kick ass (Clint Eastwood).

You can distinguish between sweeping generalizations based on vague descriptions and what's more likely to happen based on the functions they prefer. It's hard to care about the physical world so much (Se) and end up looking all fucked up. Some Se people do it but that doesn't mean that statistically they aren't likelier than NTs to spend more time in the gym/trying out clothes/all around developing all those things in the realms of Se.
    It depends on how you define "popular". If you're thinking about the stereotypical high school jock, then I could see ISTP ranking pretty high. If you're thinking more in terms of someone who is popular because they are kind and considerate to everyone, I would see that as more Fe.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

lol high school jocks.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    lol high school jocks.
    I used to be the soccer jock but then I became lazy and started packing the jelly roles lol. SPs can either be active and all over the place or procrastinating and doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING... ah yes, the good life =)

MBTI
    STP

Once I learned INTPs I realized I would never confuse myself as an INTP Hang out with INTPs and see how you do. When I first started I spent a month or 2 at INTPc, yeah...people would go to them for help and they would bend the person around MBTI theory instead of actually working with the person. I was like what the hell...why dont you just ask the person. They were to busy arguing about theory, havnt been back since. It seemed pointless and like there were always going about things backasswards.
    Im out, its been fun