• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NF seeking book recommendation RE: logic, decision making, or critical thinking...

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
First, I'd recommend avoiding "Critical Reasoning" texts like the plague. They teach baby logic, and I don't know of one that's worth the paper it's printed on. If you want to reason like an adult, then read a book the subject of which is the way adults reason.

Free from Project Gutenberg: Symbolic Logic by Lewis Carroll

Or, learn a programming language. :)

Lewis Carrol is awesome! I've not read much of his work on logic, but the wee bit I have has been great--if a wee bit convoluted, but that's part of what makes him great.

I'd recommend Irving Copi's intro to logic. His informal logic is also supposed to be very good, but I'm not familiar with it.

I'd also recommend Benson Mate's Elementary Logic.

Ted Sider's Logic for Philosophy is excellent. That's where I'd start, but if you don't have any formal training in logic, it ought to be read in tandem with an introductory text to logic to supplement the parts you don't understand.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Re op: the name is kind of silly, but How to Win Every Argument is actually a lighthearted and surprisingly comprehensive introduction to common logical fallacies.

say yes

MBTI Type
IN**
I'm looking to strengthen the rational side of my personality, so I'd love any book recommendations that y'all may have. I've read a bit about cognitive biases, so am more interested in an overview of logic, decision making, or critical thinking. Given that this subject area isn't my strength, though, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

If you really believe yourself to be a philosopher, I'd recommend Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations. It is very pedagogically written by an INFJ (or if not pure INFJ, at least much INFJ-tempered) person who was a great logician. Don't look at his earlier work Tractatus though, there he attempts to be as unpedagogical as possible, and people only praise it for they think it's weirdness is cool.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All things must be examined, debated, investigated, without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings.
I like this sig.
What about doing as the sig commands on the topic of the importance of considering people's feelings when debating and investigating topics? Seems like a potential mental swirly.