• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How do you tell the difference between an INTP and an INTJ?

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INTP and INTJ types both tend to the have the taciturn, smart/nerdy persona going. So, how do you go about telling the difference between the two?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intjs seem a lot more tense in body language, tend to think of things in more yes/no terms, intjs tend to come across as more "stereotypical male" imo, intjs tend to liken themselves to historical figures more in a positive sense and tend to be more demanding/perfectionistic which can be awesome if done right

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will skip the ''these are stereotypes yada yada'' talk :yapyapyap: and just tell what I've noticed:

INTPs are more easygoing. INTJs are more srs bsns.
When trying to explain something, INTPs attempt to cover everything, from the basic to the exceptions of the exceptions. INTJs will just tell you what they judge necessary . Most people prefer the latter. It doesn't help that the INTP way of explaining things from the basics can make it seem like we think the other person is stupid.
INTPs are more flaky/lazy/disorganized. More flexible though. Convincing an INTJ that he/she is wrong is usually a hard task - but it helps if this person thinks you're intelligent.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Intjs seem a lot more tense in body language, tend to think of things in more yes/no terms, intjs tend to come across as more "stereotypical male" imo, intjs tend to liken themselves to historical figures more in a positive sense and tend to be more demanding/perfectionistic which can be awesome if done right

I have noticed the tense versus loose body language when it comes to J vs P. Actually, I would use Snoop Dogg (I don't like rap for the record) as a perfect example of P type body language. Made me come up with the expression "P like a G." Donald Trump could work as obvious J type seriousness or "J out the A."

My brother has that demanding/perfectionistic style. With some stuff like music creation he is so critical of stuff I find to be rather trivial.

When trying to explain something, INTPs attempt to cover everything, from the basic to the exceptions of the exceptions. INTJs will just tell you what they judge necessary . Most people prefer the latter. It doesn't help that the INTP way of explaining things from the basics can make it seem like we think the other person is stupid.
INTPs are more flaky/lazy/disorganized. More flexible though. Convincing an INTJ that he/she is wrong is usually a hard task - but it helps if this person thinks you're intelligent.

I exhibit some J characteristics, but I think of myself as a P because I generally walk around with an easy going attitude and demeanor. I tend to tell people what I think in a lot of cases rather than explaining it from the beginning or like the person is ignorant. I am actually capable of convincing that I'm wrong.

Anyway, I was hoping to learn more about INTJ thinking, the Ni mental process. I mean, it must come out eventually in how they talk or what they talk about.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will skip the ''these are stereotypes yada yada'' talk :yapyapyap: and just tell what I've noticed:

I agree.

I have been trying to figure this out recently. The extremes are easy because the J/P are really noticeable. But I have a few people in my life that are a middle ground that I am just curious. My guess is INTP. I dont sense Fi from them.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
More stubborn and intense (obstinate)
opinion more fixed
More delusions of grandeur
More workaholic
Care about scheduling
self-controlled and intense
obsession with planning and efficiency
conscientious

Its best to not look at this in a function perspective, but just go join an INTJ real life meeting and see the life samples yourself.

Either give IXTJ or INXJ vibe. Imagine INTP combined with IXTJ mode of thinking.
[
They are actually quite similar to ISTJs. Their intuition is overrated.

Maybe you should just meet someone with strong Te and get the impression of what they are like.

I think Te is the most obvious difference.

the introversion is obvious. You just got to tell the difference between IJ and IP.
I think IJs are not that hard to identify.

R

Riva

Death Note!

There are quite a lot of threads on this subject. Google and you'll find many.

You should watch the Death Note. It's a classic when it comes to many things. Also when it comes to MBTI. A better INTJ Vs INTP battle is never seen before.

Light Yagami - INTJ (The Antagonist)
L Lawliet - INTP (The Protagonist)

This post wouldn't be so much of a contribution if you haven't/wouldn't watch it.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Actually Light Yagami is not a very good example. Light Yagami is always faking an F in the show, which is what most INTJs are horrible at/

R

Riva

Actually Light Yagami is not a very good example. Light Yagami is always faking an F in the show, which is what most INTJs are horrible at/

He does not fake F at all.

He is pleasant and disciplined.

INTJs though lack emotional expressions are quite polite with words and are disciplined with that regard. Most INTJs have a superiority complex and look down on most people but are almost always polite with words.

And he uses F as a tool to get what his Te requires.

[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] taught me that initially when we were discussing the type of Ben Linus from Lost. Thank you Jennifer.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can sometimes tell by asking their opinion of something. INTJ is more likely to have an opinion, to answer by stating it in a concise way, followed up by some top-level reasoning, which they will then expand if asked or challenged. INTP is more likely to speak more generally on the topic, listing different perspectives, pros and cons, without ever saying what they personally believe. My INTP claims not to have opinions on many topics, due to incomplete knowledge of the topic. I usually do have an opinion, which (due to the incomplete knowledge), I will revise as I learn more.

This isn't foolproof, though. I have known a couple of INTPs who come off as quite opinionated.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can sometimes tell by asking their opinion of something. INTJ is more likely to have an opinion, to answer by stating it in a concise way, followed up by some top-level reasoning, which they will then expand if asked or challenged. INTP is more likely to speak more generally on the topic, listing different perspectives, pros and cons, without ever saying what they personally believe. My INTP claims not to have opinions on many topics, due to incomplete knowledge of the topic. I usually do have an opinion, which (due to the incomplete knowledge), I will revise as I learn more.

This isn't foolproof, though. I have known a couple of INTPs who come off as quite opinionated.

:yes: That is a huge difference between a IP and a IJ. Open vs Closed.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
INTPs seem to have stronger convictions about what's right and wrong intrinsically (not morally, though)...they seem to have strong opinions about what they appreciate and don't appreciate (maybe that's some Fe leaking through)...crudely constructed things, especially when carrying a whiff of Se/Fe/Si (I'm thinking mass-oriented popular music for example) may get rejected violently (in this scenario the INTP often fails to engage with the object on the object's terms, which is a fate INTJs also seem to suffer at the hands of INTPs). Matters of taste are not the realm of the dominant perceiver IME.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
The same with any type - their functions.

INTP's are usually easier to bounce ideas off with their Ne. If they're unhealthy then you get a Ti-Si loop, which usually involves said INTP trying to pick your argument apart through pedantic details. This isn't something INTJ's tend to do. INTJ's I find are less energetic even with things they love. A Te bitchslap can also be an obvious sign.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
INTPs seem to have stronger convictions about what's right and wrong intrinsically (not morally, though)...they seem to have strong opinions about what they appreciate and don't appreciate (maybe that's some Fe leaking through)...crudely constructed things, especially when carrying a whiff of Se/Fe/Si (I'm thinking mass-oriented popular music for example) may get rejected violently (in this scenario the INTP often fails to engage with the object on the object's terms, which is a fate INTJs also seem to suffer at the hands of INTPs). Matters of taste are not the realm of the dominant perceiver IME.

That's a pretty good observation. Ti is about deciding what is technically good (or not) based more on ideas of worth than just practicallity/necessity. The rejection of populat things is often the result of the poor Fe rejecting anything that smells of fitting in.

You are also right the dominant percievers (especially introverted percievers) tend not to to be concerned with matters of taste. It's the weak Ji.

Nicodemus

Nico, this is why INTJs are the perfect villains.

They don't know they are the villains.

:laugh:
Whether he is the pro- or the antagonist has nothing to do with whether or not he is a villain.

To think about 'Death Note' in terms of good guy/bad guy also makes little sense to me.

R

Riva

Whether he is the pro- or the antagonist has nothing to do with whether or not he is a villain.

To think about 'Death Note' in terms of good guy/bad guy also makes little sense to me.

He is not the villain but still is the antagonist of the story.

So in that sense you are still wrong, dear INTJ.

;)

Ti > INTJ

R

Riva

Ti is pretty useless when it works with poor definitions.

Light Yagami is the antagonist of the story by definition because he kills people on his won judgement, outside the rules of the law.

(Even a criminal could have his side of the story. And maybe, just maybe, no matter how disgusting the crime of the criminal, he/she had a reason behind the actions.)

Light Yagami, not the villain, because he chooses and kills criminal who have escaped the law due to the lack of evidence. etc.