Thread: Christian NTs

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    For example, I don't believe God would want to create animals that live off of killing other animals.
    Which seems pretty sensible. And some of the religious creationists claim evolution is a dog-eat-dog system and antithetical to the creation of a God of love.

Then again, God specifically gave people the province to eat meat after the Flood.

I recently noticed in Isaiah it says something like, "On My holy mountain, the lion will graze like the ox" (perhaps another grazing animal). That does leave a problem of when and why the world went off track when it comes to how God would be running things. I don't know how to answer that.
    I tended to just read that as more of analogy -- right now, all we know is this world where the strong prey on the weak and the system dominates, but at some point God will set things right and fix them so that the normal predators and prey will be able to coinhabit and not need to attack each other and thus live in peace. Israel back at that time was never really much at peace, there always seemed to be some threat or another... or drama within the nation itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    At least half of these Christian scientists are NT:
    Which half?

I think science was different then. It was far more outside the box, and you were fighting the establishment. It also took a dedication/commitment, spending your life pursuing something other than a viable trade. Lots of gray area to explore too, whereas nowadays there's a lot of science that is more procedural and implementational.

Also, "Christian" might be applied loosely. There might be Deists in there, for example, which aren't considered Christians by some conservatives nowadays.

I think one thing driving much of early science is that it helped to believe that the world made sense in some way -- and the idea that a God made everything to work a certain way provided impetus for them to have faith that, if they explored it, they would find something rational underpinning it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think you might want to strike anyone pre-20th century from that list for sociological reasons.... Oh, wait!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think one thing driving much of early science is that it helped to believe that the world made sense in some way -- and the idea that a God made everything to work a certain way provided impetus for them to have faith that, if they explored it, they would find something rational underpinning it.
    But rather than finding that the world made sense, science discovered that the very big and the very small are unimaginable to us.

For anyone who thinks they understand quantum mechanics of the very small, doesn't understand quantum mechanics. And anyone who thinks they understand general relativity of the very big, doesn't understand general relativity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Which half?

I think science was different then. It was far more outside the box, and you were fighting the establishment. It also took a dedication/commitment, spending your life pursuing something other than a viable trade. Lots of gray area to explore too, whereas nowadays there's a lot of science that is more procedural and implementational.

Also, "Christian" might be applied loosely. There might be Deists in there, for example, which aren't considered Christians by some conservatives nowadays.
    For many centuries, the church establishment was either synonomous with or intimately intertwined with the government in many places. Church membership in this environment was a prerequisite for support and approval, while failure to participate could bring persecution. This is similar to Communist Party membership in the former Soviet Union. One cannot therefore assume membership in the church/party as an indication of actual personal beliefs and values.

Despite the social constraints I mentioned above, some of the works of science from this period show evidence of strong and genuine personal faith on the part of the authors. I get the definite sense that some of them saw their scientific studies as a way to come to know God better, by learning about his creation. As a scientist myself, this has always resonated with me. These writings were my only anchor during the frustrating time between when I gave up my childhood faith, and finally found my own spiritual path as an adult.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes. I'm sure there are a number of them who wrote about any spiritual insights they had. I know Pascal had some intense religious experiences and even carried some texts sewn into his clothes with him. He's as well known for his Pensees as he is for his mathematics.

N's tend to be multi-discipline, so it's not really surprising if many of the thinking sorts had ideas in scientific, philosophical, and religious fields, among others. They all kind of deal with trying to figure out how the world works.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

i'm boderline nf/nt so count me in. i'm not part of a regular local church anymore but part of a street ministry where we go out late at night to the streets of hollywood and minister and help the prostitutes, homeless, addicts, & runaways anyway we can to help them get off the streets, find jobs, etc. i just started doing this this year and it's really cool. we serve free pizza and "do church" every week at midnight in a 7-11 parking lot, lol. good thing i'm a night owl. also, once a month we help whoever shows up do their laundry for free. really, it's just about loving people who are considered the least of these. our group is from a bunch of different christian churches in the area. some baptist, some vineyard types, some non-denominational, some charismatic, etc. i've never done anything like this before and would never have imagined i'd be doing this but i love it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm a non-denominational Christian ENTP

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

This is what I believe about God and our place in the universe:

The evolution of life on Terra has a strong connection with those who own Terra: i.e. extraterrestrial supercivilizations that manipulates also the genetic evolution of man in Their own purposes. Anyway the destiny of the current man on Terra is near completion. He will be eliminated to make step for the next program with more homozigous standard of the DNA... basically with a DNA more simpler and more pure. The evolution of life is also included here. In my opinion THEY are responsible for the evolution of life in the last geological Era of the Earth (at least). Humans enter also in this game.

God of the Universe?... We do not know who or what created the Universe. I'm uite sure that not God from the human religions (monotheist or polytheist). The religions are connected with some extremely advanced extraterrestrial supercivilizations that coexist now in this corner of the galaxy, but in the negative matter of the Universe.
    God of the Universe is not a person opinion like you and me. Above many other theories related with the genesis of the universe like quantum singularity or the membrane theory, I see another one: an extrauniversal supercivilization that is at a level of evolution impossible for us to understand and that exist in the Omniversal system. This is a level VI or VII in evolution after our classifications. But I personally don't see these extrauniversal supercivilizations like something similar to us. There must something incomprehensible for our level of understanding.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

^Why do you believe this? @RaptorWizard
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    ^Why do you believe this? @RaptorWizard
    It is the ultimate synthesis of the Creationist combined with the Evolutionist theories, that the Gods are extraterrestrials who operate unprecedentedly evolved galactic supercivilizations. They created us, they control us, they will destroy us. Is simple. We have no idea what is their level of evolution.