User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 199

Thread: Christian NTs

  1. #91
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    A drug users first arguement is that he does drugs because he cant stand reality. Dont understand why you put question marks on that
    It was just because I was confused by your statement, is all. But now I understand what you were trying to say.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  2. #92
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    having said that, i think it is a big mistake to lump large groups of people together. it's just so easy to do that and then to draw conclusions based off of that. i don't see a productive resolution to conflicts based off "well, this group of people do X", etc.
    Regarding religion, there are only two groups of people I will lump together for criticism. The first is those who use their beliefs to justify or even motivate their own inhumanity. The second is those who accept their beliefs blindly, without any critical analysis, study, or thought. To me, this is putting away childish things: developing an adult system of beliefs, values, spirituality, and whatever pertains thereto, rather than simply plodding along in whatever one has been brought up with. I don't respect all beliefs, though I respect everyone's right to believe as they wish.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #93
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Jesus Christ is in my 5 favorite people list

  4. #94
    sswwwaagggg gmanyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Thanks, but why do you disagree with the point I made? Believing in benevolent "super natural" beings is something we can forgive in children, but not so much in adults. That millions of people are walking around in my country truly believing in, for example, "angels" worries me.
    Because I happen to believe in these things. I do question my beliefs, and I'm still not completely decided on them, but there is more reason to believe in existence outside of the "natural" world than most atheists realize (though I really don't want to get into a debate about it right now). I don't understand why this would worry you. If anything, belief in a higher power generally has a positive effect on people's lives, whether it's true or not. If there really is no spiritual side of life, then there is nothing objectively wrong with believing false things.

    Also, I see the argument in many places that religion is bad because of all the atrocities done in the name of God. I'd like to point out that almost all charities I've seen are either explicitly religious or were started/are run by religious people. I know several, possibly as many as 20 or 30, Christians who have given up the comfort of their middle class American lives to help impoverished people in third world countries, and believe me when I say it isn't easy. It means saying goodbye to your friends and family for the greater good of the world. Some people might get mad because these Christians try to convert those people to Christianity, but honestly I don't care if it's all lies; I've never seen something as life changing as Christianity for impoverished people. It gives them hope for something greater in life, even though they have almost no material wealth. So who cares if it's not true? I guess the biggest worry is that some other religion is true that punishes Christians, but from an atheist perspective this is rather unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

  5. #95
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    Because I happen to believe in these things. I do question my beliefs, and I'm still not completely decided on them, but there is more reason to believe in existence outside of the "natural" world than most atheists realize (though I really don't want to get into a debate about it right now). I don't understand why this would worry you. If anything, belief in a higher power generally has a positive effect on people's lives, whether it's true or not. If there really is no spiritual side of life, then there is nothing objectively wrong with believing false things.
    Here is a difficulty I gave some thought as well, especially with regards to the upbringing of my own childs. I was raised to have questions. My Mum and Dad always tried to answer my questions and I had a high demand for knowing everything in detail. So if there was a thunderstorm approaching I really tried to analyze the system and to understand why those things happen.

    This attitude of course went on all my early and late life. I honed that skill and delved deeper and deeper into understanding, fueled by a huge amount of curiosity.

    The problem now is that my understanding of the World is shaped in such a way that I am not receptive to religion at all. This upbringing majorly was shared by 90% of the people I grew up with therefore my generation is totally sceptic of religion and rather sees it as a manipulative force that isnt based on reason.

    So if I want to raise my kids now and give them the chance to decide about religion for themselves, I basically wont be able to do that because my nature will already influence them from the start.

    I am intrested to see how things develop in my country. Imo people come to religion thru upbringing, economic and social disasters, wars, poverty... but its intresting to see what will happen in development if all these factors are missing. And if society will still need something like religion at all. or if its like in the game age of empires another evolutunary step for a civilisation to transform their religion into a morale and ethic guide book for personal growth but without its superstition ?!
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #96
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    Because I happen to believe in these things. I do question my beliefs, and I'm still not completely decided on them, but there is more reason to believe in existence outside of the "natural" world than most atheists realize (though I really don't want to get into a debate about it right now). I don't understand why this would worry you. If anything, belief in a higher power generally has a positive effect on people's lives, whether it's true or not. If there really is no spiritual side of life, then there is nothing objectively wrong with believing false things.
    It concerns me because believing in angels and the like is so manifestly ridiculous. If people can believe that, and act on that belief, of what else are they capable? I think the claim that "belief in a higher power generally has a positive effect on people's lives" is dubious at very best. Given the atrocities, intellectual and moral, that have been committed in the name of religion-and continue to be so-how on earth could you say such a thing with a straight face?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    Also, I see the argument in many places that religion is bad because of all the atrocities done in the name of God. I'd like to point out that almost all charities I've seen are either explicitly religious or were started/are run by religious people. I know several, possibly as many as 20 or 30, Christians who have given up the comfort of their middle class American lives to help impoverished people in third world countries, and believe me when I say it isn't easy. It means saying goodbye to your friends and family for the greater good of the world. Some people might get mad because these Christians try to convert those people to Christianity, but honestly I don't care if it's all lies; I've never seen something as life changing as Christianity for impoverished people. It gives them hope for something greater in life, even though they have almost no material wealth. So who cares if it's not true? I guess the biggest worry is that some other religion is true that punishes Christians, but from an atheist perspective this is rather unlikely.
    Most of the charities I know of have probably been founded by white men. Are white men by nature more charitable than other people? Probably not. Even if the charity of many Christians is rooted in their Christianity, this hardly outweighs the evil done by religion as a whole. The Christian missionaries may be willing to go abroad and feed the hungry, but they would probably be quite happy, for example, for women of their own country to be compelled to give birth against their will, to medicalise homosexuality and to have erected a state better resembling a theocracy than secular government.

    In addition, I find your indifference towards the truth of what people believe odd. Isn't it better to believe things that are true rather than false?

  7. #97
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,585

    Default

    Blind belief in a higher power is dangerous, since it turns people into sheep who are easily manipulated by leaders with destructive intentions. The leaders need not actually believe in anything themselves except greed, power, and their own personal agenda. Thoughtful, critical belief in a higher power is much harder to use in this fashion, and often forms a key motivation of "the resistance" to destructive regimes. Witness Muslims who join terrorist organizations and commit suicide bombings vs. Muslims who speak out against violence and oppression, and are themselves threatened with death.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #98
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I am intrested to see how things develop in my country. Imo people come to religion thru upbringing, economic and social disasters, wars, poverty... but its intresting to see what will happen in development if all these factors are missing. And if society will still need something like religion at all. or if its like in the game age of empires another evolutunary step for a civilisation to transform their religion into a morale and ethic guide book for personal growth but without its superstition ?!
    Religion doesnt exist simply because its socially useful or utilitarian and its not simply a form of relief, a lot of the worlds religions were pioneered by hermits and wandering sages who did not preach to others or seek to spread their teachings at all, still others were inspired by messages from teachers to withdraw from social intercourse and live solitary existences.

    There is also much more to religion than ethics and I would suggest that it is total and utter confusion to associate superstition with religion properly understood. What I think you mean is that you believe it would be civilising if religion transformed into humanism, that is incredibly reductive of what religion is and the role it plays for individuals.

    Like I said before it is not merely utilitarian or socially useful, I would be inclined to agree with Jung in Modern Man In Search of His Soul, that religion corresponds to deep seated psychological needs, which are often not active in the first phase of life at all, hence all the young atheists who have arisen in this generation I would suspect, and this is not a consequence of impending or approaching mortality, its about accomplishment, achievement or transcendence of other life goals and challenges.

    Jung considered the whole process to correspond to the activation of archetypes, I'm not sure that's the whole story, cultural pressures and popular thinking can have a bigger impact than even the most self-proclaimed non-conformist would acknowledge or believe and I think it takes time before people are able to think about these things without prejudice.

  9. #99
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    I think a more interesting question would be how many NTs converted to Christianity or became 'born again' in adulthood as opposed to how many NTs left the church or otherwise greatly lessened their involvement as adults. And compare that to the NTs who joined/left other religions in adulthood and compare all of that <-- to the rest of the population.

    I think there's a stereotype that NTs are super rational and therefore would be atheists and NFs are 'compassionate hippies' and therefore would be attracted to cults. Most of a person's religious beliefs in adult life are almost a direct result of whatever they were raised in and exposed to. You have very little to no control over this as a child. The presence of a belief in god or religion has almost nothing to do with personality type when its something you are groomed for since birth.

    Now how that religious upbringing is interpreted, incorporated, and rejected in life as an adult, maybe.

    Also, I think most of the people posting in the thread will be from the US, which is a secular Christian society and has a much more religious mainstream population than Europe (asterisk for later debate). You're born here and defacto have a high chance of being raised at least as a casual Christian. If there are links between type and religion, it would be more telling to see statistics in a society where atheism is the norm or even government enforced to see who takes the risk to explore and practice religion.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  10. #100
    sswwwaagggg gmanyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    It concerns me because believing in angels and the like is so manifestly ridiculous. If people can believe that, and act on that belief, of what else are they capable? I think the claim that "belief in a higher power generally has a positive effect on people's lives" is dubious at very best. Given the atrocities, intellectual and moral, that have been committed in the name of religion-and continue to be so-how on earth could you say such a thing with a straight face?
    I'd like to point out that many of the most well-known "atrocious killers" - Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot - were not particularly religious, and were all open promoters of atheism. Although there is evidence to say that Hitler was a Christian, there is also evidence otherwise, and Stalin is "worse" in terms of kill count. In fact, Stalin literally has the highest kill count of any leader ever. Mao might actually be worse if you look at how many people died as the result of his policies.

    And don't tell me that "they aren't real atheists", because I guarantee you that the Christians that committed the crusades and other acts of violence were not real Christians. I don't discount atheism because of the atrocities done by atheist leaders, neither should atheists discount religion for the atrocities done in its name. I think the claim that religion is bad due to all the atrocities done in its name is "dubious at best". In fact, I think it's complete bullshit.

    And you say my claim about happiness is unfounded, but it's actually well founded in research, and more than just one overblown study. This does nothing to prove or disprove religion of course.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Most of the charities I know of have probably been founded by white men. Are white men by nature more charitable than other people? Probably not. Even if the charity of many Christians is rooted in their Christianity, this hardly outweighs the evil done by religion as a whole. The Christian missionaries may be willing to go abroad and feed the hungry, but they would probably be quite happy, for example, for women of their own country to be compelled to give birth against their will, to medicalise homosexuality and to have erected a state better resembling a theocracy than secular government.
    While I will admit that many Christians have some dumb political views, not all of them do. To be quite honest, many of the Christians that I know are liberals and couldn't give two shits as to whether or not gay marriage was legalized, and would actually fight against the mistreatment of homosexuals. I'm practically a socialist myself. Go look at this topic that I started.

    The Bible clearly says that homosexuality is wrong, but most Christians I know don't judge homosexuals at all. The kindest people that I've met are religious, usually Christians. I once had a gay guy like me (romantically, I mean). I didn't care, and I'm still his friend, because I think he's an awesome dude. Truth be told, it probably would have been more awkward if a girl liked me who I didn't like. Most homosexual men I've met seem nicer than the straight ones anyway.

    Going along with your "white men" point, I don't think that white men are more charitable than other races. But religious people honestly do seem more charitable than non-religious people. And I'm not just guessing here; studies show that religious people are significantly more charitable than non-religious ones. Although upon further research, some of my claims about religious charities were wrong. At the same time, though, even in that article, the writer has very few statistics, and I do think that Christians' donations are inspired by their beliefs.

    Also note that there are many Muslim charities, and I know Christian missionaries of many creeds and colors; Filipino, British, Chinese, Korean, American, German, South African, and more.

    inb4 an interesting charity article somewhat supportive of atheists. Kind of:
    http://bedejournal.blogspot.com/2007...e-more-to.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    In addition, I find your indifference towards the truth of what people believe odd. Isn't it better to believe things that are true rather than false?
    Not according to your worldview. Hell, I don't think that anything should be considered objectively "better" or "worse" according to your worldview. I'm not saying that this makes your beliefs untrue, but if you want to be consistent with the logical progression of your worldview, than Mao and Stalin (and Hitler and Ghengis Kahn and the crusade leaders) did nothing wrong, objectively speaking.

    On top of this, if you have decided for yourself, subjectively, that it is "better" to try and help people and improve others' lives as well as your own, false beliefs might actually be better.

    I'm not indifferent towards truth; I think that truth is very important. I'm just saying that according to your beliefs it really shouldn't mean anything.


    As a final point, none of the thing I'm saying here are trying to prove or disprove any worldview. I'm just saying that none of your claims refute religion, and many are inconsistent with your beliefs or are outright false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO