• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do you think you're intellectually superior to the poster above you?

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This thread brings to mind a phenomena I've run into with respect to interviews for technical jobs. There is a tendency to give technical quizzes, which became necessary after the 2000 tech bubble crash because lots of non-tech people got hired to do tech jobs, so answering a few technical questions is useful to filter out the utterly unqualified applicants. But ... the quiz can get overused, e.g., using the quiz to determine just how "expert" an applicant is in the field. The problem is that a real expert knows a ton of stuff you don't know, even if you are an expert in the same field, and likewise you know a ton of stuff the expert doesn't know. So you end up with two "experts", each believing the other "isn't really an expert" because "they don't know X, Y and Z," which happen to have been essential in one's own work. Both sides lose: the applicant loses by missing out on a potential job, and the employer loses because they're filtering out applicants that have essential knowledge they don't even realize they need.

Real experts - those with real experience - understand the weaknesses of expertise, namely that expertise is specialized, limited knowledge, and it is all to easy to forget that one's expertise in one area does not translate into expertise in other areas, even if those areas are "closely related". Someone else, even a "mid-level" person, probably knows more than you about something.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread brings to mind a phenomena I've run into with respect to interviews for technical jobs. There is a tendency to give technical quizzes, which became necessary after the 2000 tech bubble crash because lots of non-tech people got hired to do tech jobs, so answering a few technical questions is useful to filter out the utterly unqualified applicants. But ... the quiz can get overused, e.g., using the quiz to determine just how "expert" an applicant is in the field. The problem is that a real expert knows a ton of stuff you don't know, even if you are an expert in the same field, and likewise you know a ton of stuff the expert doesn't know. So you end up with two "experts", each believing the other "isn't really an expert" because "they don't know X, Y and Z," which happen to have been essential in one's own work. Both sides lose: the applicant loses by missing out on a potential job, and the employer loses because they're filtering out applicants that have essential knowledge they don't even realize they need.

Real experts - those with real experience - understand the weaknesses of expertise, namely that expertise is specialized, limited knowledge, and it is all to easy to forget that one's expertise in one area does not translate into expertise in other areas, even if those areas are "closely related". Someone else, even a "mid-level" person, probably knows more than you about something.
Insightful. :)
Edit: I will answer ''No'' this time. :greatscott:

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and I seriously doubt there will be many 'no' answers in this thread.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, not more intellectually superior than anyone.
But I guarantee I'm the most huggable by a long shot!!!
Huggability is totally important in this universe.
It helps you work out the hugs that have been and hugs that are to come.
It helps you discover new and inventive ways to hug and reasons to hug and I think it's sorely lacking trait in this world.
Intellectual is a dime a dozen!
I love putting myself in this thread because it makes everyone so uncomfortable!
yay!

ygolo

My termites win
No. shortnsweet is a nurse.

and this is pure genius:

It helps you discover new and inventive ways to hug and reasons to hug and I think it's sorely lacking trait in this world.
I love putting myself in this thread because it makes everyone so uncomfortable!
yay!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes definitely.

Edit: Edgar deleted his message in case anyone wonders how I can be more intellectually superior than myself.

Last edited:

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yay!

:hug:

(Dammit! She's right ... hugs are like a huge parallel processing super computer of love ...)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hug:

(Dammit! She's right ... hugs are like a huge parallel processing super computer of love ...)

YES!!!!....lol (not really, choose not to do that to U...to much respect) ;)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was hoping you intellectually advanced fellows could collaborate with me on a project.
A big squishy bot that hugs for different reasons.
Don't worry, you could consult me on things like,
huggable emotions
voice tones that could cue the bot to give a hug
key emotionally charged words to help cue the bot to hug
And what kinds of socially appropriate things that the bot could say in response to different levels of joy or distress.

I don't know if you NT's know this, but generally people don't hug in response to angry words and harsh tones.
But that's what I'm here for, if you're not sure, just ask. :)

Nicodemus

I don't know if you NT's know this, but generally people don't hug in response to angry words and harsh tones.
But that's what I'm here for, if you're not sure, just ask. :)
My, my, you are a preachy one - and hugly conservative, too, it seems. What if we want to hug unusually, such as in response to sounding car horns and passing strangers? What if we want to hug with innovation? Will you still be able to counsel us, then?

I, for one, am not taking the bait.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My, my, you are a preachy one - and hugly conservative, too, it seems. What if we want to hug unusually, such as in response to sounding car horns and passing strangers? What if we want to hug with innovation? Will you still be able to counsel us, then?

I, for one, am not taking the bait.

Well....... I suppose I could be open to hugs in some..... unusual circumstances... :yes:
Yes! Sold! Indiscriminate hugs to everyone in every circumstance!!! That will save a lot of money and paperwork on all that extra silly stuff that goes into AI. I guess if you didn't want him to hug anyone you could just turn him off!

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well....... I suppose I could be open to hugs in some..... unusual circumstances... :yes:
Yes! Sold! Indiscriminate hugs to everyone in every circumstance!!! That will save a lot of money and paperwork on all that extra silly stuff that goes into AI. I guess if you didn't want him to hug anyone you could just turn him off!

I think such an item has already been invented: it's called a dog.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course we know. That's the point.

Instead of a bot that would spend most of its time in the "off" state, couldn't we program it to do something more useful and discriminating?

(BTW: how would one turn off a dog?)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think intellectual superiority happens. It's certainty about these sorts of things that irks me.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Of course we know. That's the point.

Instead of a bot that would spend most of its time in the "off" state, couldn't we program it to do something more useful and discriminating?

(BTW: how would one turn off a dog?)

Bacon.

No, it wouldn't deactivate the dog, but it would be far more interested in the bacon than anything to do with hugging/licking/pawing you.