• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP and self-destructiveness

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Alright I haven't started a thread in a while here.

I always seek experiences to test out the limits of my fear. I think the type that contrast the most with us is ISTJ. I've seen alot of EPs seek extreme experiences and have a death wish. I don't know how far this impulse to test the limits will take me, all whether it will ruin my own life or not. I just think we are programmed by society to fear certain things, and we have to overcome our demons to achieve greatness. I just don't want to be limited by fear, so sometimes I push myself to do things that are extremely risky. I might destroy myself with this kind of behavior, but I rather experience than believe in my fear.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Sometimes I just question myself will i get destroyed and die from this, and then I just go do it to find out.
Like challenging whats the worst that could happen.

I just hate being regulated by my fear. I really want to know how far things can go.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What do you mean specifically? Drugs, bungee jumping, extreme sports... I'm getting a drugs vibe, but don't try to do mountain-climbing when you're on drugs.

If that's an impulse you have, it's good to get it out of your system while you're young I guess. Because it is something you probably won't want to do forever. But don't do gun games, Russian roulette & stuff like that.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Are you a guy? It might be a testosterone thing.

I really don't think I can relate.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
What do you mean specifically? Drugs, bungee jumping, extreme sports... I'm getting a drugs vibe, but don't try to do mountain-climbing when you're on drugs.

If that's an impulse you have, it's good to get it out of your system while you're young I guess. Because it is something you probably won't want to do forever. But don't do gun games, Russian roulette & stuff like that.

No, I don't advocate doing drugs, or am I a drug user.

There are alot of dangerous things you can do in life besides doing drugs.

Like the human spider for example, he climb towers, just to challenge his limitations.

Its kind of like in the iron man movie, when tony stark decided to test pilot his new suit, even though it might kill him.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it kind of like that, or is it EXACTLY LIKE THAT?

Show us your room of deadly inventions.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Its more like testing the limits of your fear. Everytime you prove your fear wrong, you soar to a new height.

No, I haven't developed that kind of invention yet.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Alright I haven't started a thread in a while here.

I always seek experiences to test out the limits of my fear. I think the type that contrast the most with us is ISTJ. I've seen alot of EPs seek extreme experiences and have a death wish. I don't know how far this impulse to test the limits will take me, all whether it will ruin my own life or not. I just think we are programmed by society to fear certain things, and we have to overcome our demons to achieve greatness. I just don't want to be limited by fear, so sometimes I push myself to do things that are extremely risky. I might destroy myself with this kind of behavior, but I rather experience than believe in my fear.

I'd say I'm rather risk averse. Well not exactly. Let us say that I invest rather than 'dare'. If the 'investment' doesn't make sense I won't do it, but I'm fine with dropping everything and moving to another country if the investment's worth it for example. I don't really have the self imposed limitations people seem to set in lots of fields, because again, i looked at them and I don't see the actual risk to be as high as the commonly perceived risk for that category of behavior\environment.

Now It's not just about logic, human nature, human experience etc goes beyond that, if i believe my 'person' will benefit from taking some personal risk It'll also be a reason to 'take a risk'. You can't win if you don't play.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am generalising widely and hope this doesn't sound insulting, but I get the impression that ExxPs don't really learn from experience.

Perhaps this is just the case with the few I know for [pretty] sure I've interacted with, and I think I've been in closer contact with ExFPs. But it just seems as though ExxPs are likely to say "ohhhh, never again..." in the short term - and then in the long term they make the same mistakes (and they're not just characterized as mistakes from my perspective; they call them mistakes themselves) over. and over. and over. and over again. :dry: And yes, I know everyone does this to a certain extent and it's human nature - but I'm talking really massive, dramatic stuff in some cases. Stuff that could be avoided if you didn't insist on flinging yourself headlong into a path of maximum drama.

In certain cases it has made me wonder if they are saying "yes, I've really learned my lesson" this time because of my presence and because I'm a friend (and one somewhat prone to lecturing those I care about, I admit - probably quite annoying sometimes, though I try to keep it low-key). Maybe they wouldn't say it all otherwise - though they do sound sincere when I say it; it's just that with certain people I've learned to not put much faith in it.

Not sure if this is so relevant to the OP, but it was what came to mind! :)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I am generalising widely and hope this doesn't sound insulting, but I get the impression that ExxPs don't really learn from experience.

Perhaps this is just the case with the few I know for [pretty] sure I've interacted with, and I think I've been in closer contact with ExFPs. But it just seems as though ExxPs are likely to say "ohhhh, never again..." in the short term - and then in the long term they make the same mistakes (and they're not just characterized as mistakes from my perspective; they call them mistakes themselves) over. and over. and over. and over again. :dry: And yes, I know everyone does this to a certain extent and it's human nature - but I'm talking really massive, dramatic stuff in some cases. Stuff that could be avoided if you didn't insist on flinging yourself headlong into a path of maximum drama.

In certain cases it has made me wonder if they are saying "yes, I've really learned my lesson" this time because of my presence and because I'm a friend (and one somewhat prone to lecturing those I care about, I admit - probably quite annoying sometimes, though I try to keep it low-key). Maybe they wouldn't say it all otherwise - though they do sound sincere when I say it; it's just that with certain people I've learned to not put much faith in it.

:cry:

But really, I place great emphasis on learning from my mistakes. I have known several ExFP's who seemed to be very care-free about repeating past mistakes, to put it nicely. :biggrin:

However, I much prefer to learn from the mistakes of others. :burns:

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:cry:

But really, I place great emphasis on learning from my mistakes. I have known several ExFP's who seemed to be very care-free about repeating past mistakes, to put it nicely. :biggrin:

However, I much prefer to learn from the mistakes of others. :burns:

Yeah. I suspect this might be a more ExFP tendency, and I never want to say anyway that EVERYONE of a certain type does things a certain way. I really prefer learning from the mistakes of others too. :ninja: but I think I that's fairly typical INFJ or just IxxJ.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I suppose I have a bit of self-destructiveness. Maybe I'm drawn to it in others too. For me it's connected to sacrifice. It seems there always comes a point, with anything you might care about, where you have to give something valuable up to go any further.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Now It's not just about logic, human nature, human experience etc goes beyond that, if i believe my 'person' will benefit from taking some personal risk It'll also be a reason to 'take a risk'. You can't win if you don't play.

My argument is that if you do nothing, nothing will happen. So you might as well do something, even if the outcome might be bad, or at least uncertain.

Yea it is kind of relevant. I don't learn from my mistakes.

Because doing action A in the past might lead to consequence B, but doing action A now might lead to a different outcome. So would you classify action A as a mistake? I just don't let my fear inhibit me or scare me out of doing something. Maybe its optimism bias or something.

Yea, I am just saying like sometimes outcomes are not absolute. Thats what makes life so interesting. Of course, if you do heroin you get addicted, but not everything is like that.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea it is kind of relevant. I don't learn from my mistakes.

Because doing action A in the past might lead to consequence B, but doing action A now might lead to a different outcome. So would you classify action A as a mistake? I just don't let my fear inhibit me or scare me out of doing something. Maybe its optimism bias or something.

Yea, I am just saying like sometimes outcomes are not absolute. Thats what makes life so interesting. Of course, if you do heroin you get addicted, but not everything is like that.

I see your point, but others might argue that this type of reasoning is either stupid or insane. ;) How many times do you have to do basically the same thing and get burned repeatedly in basically the same way?

I think one of my biggest issues with this approach is that so often it ends up being more cautious types who have to pick up the pieces afterwards... People who live carefree/destructive/same mistakes over and over again type lives don't always seem to realise the consequences for others.

Oh dear, you didn't expect an IxxJ to wander into this thread and give a lecture. :laugh:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I see your point, but others might argue that this type of reasoning is either stupid or insane. ;) How many times do you have to do basically the same thing and get burned repeatedly in basically the same way?

Not the same thing, but if there is an opportunity, there is no reason not to make a leap.

Obviously, some of my actions have become Big EPIC FAILS, but I have no regret doing it whatsoever.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not the same thing, but if there is an opportunity, there is no reason not to make a leap.

Obviously, some of my actions have become Big EPIC FAILS, but I have no regret doing it whatsoever.

Do you think your actions/epic fails have had consequences for others or just for you? (not necessarily being sarcastic - really want to know.)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Yes, it does have consequences on others.

But mostly, I suffered the most from my own choices and actions.

You see, life is a game of trial and error, some things just have to be done to know the result.

I know I sound like incredibly selfish, but we aren't exactly the most benevolent type.