User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    see what you've done ?!
    Oh no, what? Did I hurt your feelings?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  2. #12
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Oh no, what? Did I hurt your feelings?
    *curl ups in a ball and hugs knees*

    !
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  3. #13
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I am generalising widely and hope this doesn't sound insulting, but I get the impression that ExxPs don't really learn from experience.

    Perhaps this is just the case with the few I know for [pretty] sure I've interacted with, and I think I've been in closer contact with ExFPs. But it just seems as though ExxPs are likely to say "ohhhh, never again..." in the short term - and then in the long term they make the same mistakes (and they're not just characterized as mistakes from my perspective; they call them mistakes themselves) over. and over. and over. and over again. And yes, I know everyone does this to a certain extent and it's human nature - but I'm talking really massive, dramatic stuff in some cases. Stuff that could be avoided if you didn't insist on flinging yourself headlong into a path of maximum drama.

    In certain cases it has made me wonder if they are saying "yes, I've really learned my lesson" this time because of my presence and because I'm a friend (and one somewhat prone to lecturing those I care about, I admit - probably quite annoying sometimes, though I try to keep it low-key). Maybe they wouldn't say it all otherwise - though they do sound sincere when I say it; it's just that with certain people I've learned to not put much faith in it.

    Not sure if this is so relevant to the OP, but it was what came to mind!



    But really, I place great emphasis on learning from my mistakes. I have known several ExFP's who seemed to be very care-free about repeating past mistakes, to put it nicely.

    However, I much prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

  4. #14
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post



    But really, I place great emphasis on learning from my mistakes. I have known several ExFP's who seemed to be very care-free about repeating past mistakes, to put it nicely.

    However, I much prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.
    Yeah. I suspect this might be a more ExFP tendency, and I never want to say anyway that EVERYONE of a certain type does things a certain way. I really prefer learning from the mistakes of others too. but I think I that's fairly typical INFJ or just IxxJ.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  5. #15
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    I suppose I have a bit of self-destructiveness. Maybe I'm drawn to it in others too. For me it's connected to sacrifice. It seems there always comes a point, with anything you might care about, where you have to give something valuable up to go any further.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  6. #16
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Now It's not just about logic, human nature, human experience etc goes beyond that, if i believe my 'person' will benefit from taking some personal risk It'll also be a reason to 'take a risk'. You can't win if you don't play.

    My argument is that if you do nothing, nothing will happen. So you might as well do something, even if the outcome might be bad, or at least uncertain.


    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I am generalising widely and hope this doesn't sound insulting, but I get the impression that ExxPs don't really learn from experience.

    ............
    Not sure if this is so relevant to the OP, but it was what came to mind!
    Yea it is kind of relevant. I don't learn from my mistakes.

    Because doing action A in the past might lead to consequence B, but doing action A now might lead to a different outcome. So would you classify action A as a mistake? I just don't let my fear inhibit me or scare me out of doing something. Maybe its optimism bias or something.

    Yea, I am just saying like sometimes outcomes are not absolute. Thats what makes life so interesting. Of course, if you do heroin you get addicted, but not everything is like that.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  7. #17
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post

    Yea it is kind of relevant. I don't learn from my mistakes.

    Because doing action A in the past might lead to consequence B, but doing action A now might lead to a different outcome. So would you classify action A as a mistake? I just don't let my fear inhibit me or scare me out of doing something. Maybe its optimism bias or something.

    Yea, I am just saying like sometimes outcomes are not absolute. Thats what makes life so interesting. Of course, if you do heroin you get addicted, but not everything is like that.
    I see your point, but others might argue that this type of reasoning is either stupid or insane. How many times do you have to do basically the same thing and get burned repeatedly in basically the same way?

    I think one of my biggest issues with this approach is that so often it ends up being more cautious types who have to pick up the pieces afterwards... People who live carefree/destructive/same mistakes over and over again type lives don't always seem to realise the consequences for others.

    Oh dear, you didn't expect an IxxJ to wander into this thread and give a lecture.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  8. #18
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I see your point, but others might argue that this type of reasoning is either stupid or insane. How many times do you have to do basically the same thing and get burned repeatedly in basically the same way?
    Not the same thing, but if there is an opportunity, there is no reason not to make a leap.

    Obviously, some of my actions have become Big EPIC FAILS, but I have no regret doing it whatsoever.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  9. #19
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post
    Not the same thing, but if there is an opportunity, there is no reason not to make a leap.

    Obviously, some of my actions have become Big EPIC FAILS, but I have no regret doing it whatsoever.
    Do you think your actions/epic fails have had consequences for others or just for you? (not necessarily being sarcastic - really want to know.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  10. #20
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Yes, it does have consequences on others.

    But mostly, I suffered the most from my own choices and actions.

    You see, life is a game of trial and error, some things just have to be done to know the result.

    I know I sound like incredibly selfish, but we aren't exactly the most benevolent type.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] I'm worthless and self-destructive
    By think2much in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-15-2015, 10:08 PM
  2. [ENTP] ENTPs and Dating
    By Sunshine in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
  3. [ENTP] ENTPs and Fashion +OTHER TYPES!!!
    By EcK in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 12:05 AM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs and Developing One-Pointedness
    By Samuel De Mazarin in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
  5. [ENTP] ENtp and Marijuana!
    By Maha Raj in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO