7 18.92%
  • INTJ - Other

0 0%
First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If I'm depressed, or in a rut, I appreciate someone close to me like my SO or a good friend trying to tug me out of it. Often straight reasoning won't do the trick, and it takes a pep talk or even shame session that appeals to my own ideals and how badly I'll feel later if I don't get off my rear and move on. Not sure if this counts as emotional manipulation, but it is the closest thing I will tolerate, and only from people who know me well. Otherwise it either goes over my head and I parse the manipulation attempt as a Te input, or I recognize it for what it is and shut it down pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Because I am 28 years old and I can tell you that those people who plan carefully never come to action and those people who are the action never plan carefully
    I'm at least as old as andante, and can assure you there are plenty of NTJs who both plan and act. It's why our actions tend to be so effective.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

The self-crowned empress wears new clothes!

MBTI
    GONE

I read the first page and last two - what's your def of emotional manipulation? Or did you already mdefine it? The way the question is set up its like asking "who likes being taken advantage of?" it seems like more a matter of interpretation than kind. I think that's where you will get the real conflict.

"stop emotionally manipulating me"
    "wtf dude I just asked if you could do the dishes becauses I'm not feeling well COUGH COUGH"
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I read the first page and last two - what's your def of emotional manipulation? Or did you already mdefine it? The way the question is set up its like asking "who likes being taken advantage of?" it seems like more a matter of interpretation than kind. I think that's where you will get the real conflict.

"wtf dude I just asked if you could do the dishes becauses I'm not feeling well COUGH COUGH"
    I avoided going down this road, but you're right, you can perceive manipulation in nearly any sort of expressed emotion whatsoever, but I think a good rule of thumb is the existence of deceitful intent. But even then, I'm sure people can deceive unintentionally and their manipulative tendencies are unconscious, unknown; manifestations of defense mechanisms, as in my experience. Which ties in to my earlier response; I no longer find myself getting angry or defensive so much as I am silently amused. The best way to beat it is to simply not let it affect you, call it out when you see it, but not to become OVERLY defensive about it, seeing it everywhere you look because then it's still affecting you and your relationships, but in a different manner.

Exclamation

@andante and @Salomé I request you please stop sniping at one another at this juncture in this thread.
    I ask this now before the tipping point after which posts traditionally are edited or removed.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 02-06-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: thanks for correcting my misspelling of her name, phobik
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    @andante and @Salomé I request you please stop sniping at one another at this juncture in this thread.
    I ask this now before the tipping point after which posts traditionally are edited or removed.
    FTFY.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

True. I think I define it as when someone wants me to do something or behave in a particular way without asking me directly. That's too loose, so I will give an example. My niece sent me a text the other day, "Just saying hi." Okay. The next day, she called me. I ignored both. Then my sister (her mother) called me and I did answer. She asked if I would call my niece because she needed my advice on a feral cat she had taken in.

Now, to some, her text might have been just an opening. But I know my niece, which is why I didn't answer her phone or her text. That's how she works. She lived with me for a little while and I told her point blank to stop trying to butter me up and just ask for what she wanted. That I didn't like her attempts to be sweet to me so that it increased the chances of a "yes". To be fair, I think she believes that this is the way people are supposed to be and that there is no harm in it if it achieves an objective. It's just a tool to her.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I'm at least as old as andante, and can assure you there are plenty of NTJs who both plan and act. It's why our actions tend to be so effective.
    yea effective they are, just sloooow
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    yea effective they are, just sloooow
    Act in haste, repent in leisure.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...