• INTJ - Despise it.

7 18.92%
  • INTJ - Other

0 0%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm not an NT, but I see emotional manipulation as a tool/method. It's a means without an end.

So how I judge it depends on what end it is being used for. I'd like for someone to emotionally manipulate me in ways that help me achieve my goals, dislike the opposite, and don't mind when it has no affect on my goals one way or the other.

Classifying what counts as manipulation and what doesn't will lead to all kinds of semantics, but for all the definitions I can think of the above applies. To get nitpicky, it's my overall goals that affect this judgement, but various instincts and minor parts of me might judge it differently. For example knee-jerk reactions based on past experiences, or feelings I let go of after they arise, but a person being a mass of different things that's pretty complex and rarely in unison, the above is just a way of summing up the net reaction, the judgement that has the largest affect on my behavior and experience. (That applies to practically everything involving opinions though, so I'm not sure it needs to be said.)

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I'm not an NT, but I see emotional manipulation as a tool/method. It's a means without an end.

So how I judge it depends on what end it is being used for. I'd like for someone to emotionally manipulate me in ways that help me achieve my goals, dislike the opposite, and don't mind when it has no affect on my goals one way or the other.

Classifying what counts as manipulation and what doesn't will lead to all kinds of semantics, but for all the definitions I can think of the above applies. To get nitpicky, it's my overall goals that affect this judgement, but various instincts and minor parts of me might judge it differently. For example knee-jerk reactions based on past experiences, or feelings I let go of after they arise, but a person being a mass of different things that's pretty complex and rarely in unison, it's just a way of summing up the net reaction, the judgement that has the largest affect on my behavior and experience. (That applies to practically everything involving opinions though, so I'm not sure it needs to be said.)
    Yeah. It would almost be like arguing whether a social construct is implicitly manipulation. The construct is abstract, its terms always being negotiable by our individual minds. But we need some abstract terms of our own to organize and communicate how we see the world as it is or should be. So even the process of judging another as being manipulative can be argued as a manipulative goal in itself! essentially...

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I think you're mixing up your mental delusions.
    Consider getting psychiatric help. This is a serious suggestion.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Anyways, this issue is of great interest to me. I'm curious to know how NTs on this site feel about emotional manipulation, whether people have a strong aversion to it like myself or if otherwise, prefer it or don't care.
    Do you personally know anyone who prefers it or has justified it in their own behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Do you personally know anyone who prefers it or has justified it in their own behavior?
    A good opportunity for me to say that this thread isn't directed at anyone on this site.

As far as your question, yes to both.

Ginkgo

A good opportunity for me to say that this thread isn't directed at anyone on this site.

As far as your question, yes to both.
    I don't like having my will subverted. If someone were to try to control me, I would prefer it be direct, rather than indirect. If it was direct, I would know, which would give me leverage and at least the power to think for myself. The reason why any sort of manipulation is insidious is because it usually doesn't grant whoever is being manipulated to even know what is going on. Emotions tend to cloud rational choices, which reinforces ignorance. I think that influence and manipulation shouldn't be confused, because there is a difference between one trying to candidly convince someone and trying to orchestrate everything about the other person. If someone hardly ever tells you what they really want, and almost everything they do is an attempt to work through your preferences, then I consider it to be manipulation. There is also a difference between championing someone's preferences and trying to piggy back off of them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Consider getting psychiatric help. This is a serious suggestion.
    Hasn't done much for crazy cat lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Hasn't done much for crazy cat lady.
    But of course, what other comment to expect from the creator of pulled straight out of ass stories while wearing the crown of dunceness, nothing matching reality, only the emptiness of self, buffered by blissful paranoia.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm just perceptive that way, I guess.

Maybe you'd get your point across better if you wrote in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I'm just perceptive that way, I guess.
    Perception twisted so tight, there's phenomenal impact on where the brain resides whereby the grey matter in the cranium has no part in the process.