User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Why INTJs -can- be more intellectual than INTPs

Again, the emphasis is on the "can". INTJs can also be narrow-lived, step-counting trolls whose in-born intelligence is rivaled only by their bigotry and defensive, hasty conclusions.

That said, they can also be some of the most intellectual people around, surpassing even INTPs, who, it must be said, have the greatest inclination toward intellectual pursuits.

This is because: the intellect, like the physical body, is something that must be fostered and attended to. The analogues between physical and mental training are striking.

For whatever reason, an uncommon degree of drive attends the introverted intuitive's mindset. This drive will often lead INTJs to make the long-term effort required to develop their minds and rational abilities.

As I've stated, the INTP mindset is, if descriptions are correct, unquestionably the most inclined toward this development. But just as the SP mindset, which places kinaesthetic intelligence at the forefront of the psychological processes, inclines members of that group toward prowess in physical pursuits, this inclination must be acted upon and fostered for it to bear fruit.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh goody. I certainly felt another "why INTJs iz smartest thread!" was long overdue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

That's not really the claim I'm making

(In fairness, this is a something of a fluff thread, but I'm entitled to one periodically.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    this is a something of a fluff thread, but I'm entitled to one periodically.
    No doubt. But it's in the wrong forum.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's not really a controversial point. INTx's both easily veer into intellectual or acadamic pursuits and can become quite knowledgeable.

...Debating further, though, seems rather pointless.

Hey, look, Salome wants to take over my old position as mod. Enjoy that headache!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm more interested in being a PITA than being a MOD.
    I appreciate that it can be difficult to distinguish between those two roles.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Conclusion:
    Can they be? Yes.
    Will they be? Maybe.

Kidding...I get what you're saying. INTJs tend to wanna learn things with a specific purposes, while INTPs place more importance on general intellectual growth...but that doesn't mean every INTP is gonna be less pragmatic and more intellectual than every INTJ and vice versa.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

True, maybe it will get moved? It seemed like this was a fitting enough area of the forum, but I can see how that's debatable.

Anyway this is something that's always made me wonder about the descriptions. From the way they're described, IN_Js should have no use for the acquisition of knowledge since everything will well up magically from some poorly-described form of "intuition", but this is pretty clearly not the case.

From the INTPs and INTJs I've known, I'm beginning to take stock in the idea I've seen around that types will tend to be able to use their secondary function in its introverted and extraverted fashion just about equally.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

From the INTPs and INTJs I've known, I'm beginning to take stock in the idea I've seen around that types will tend to be able to use their secondary function in its introverted and extraverted fashion just about equally.
    I think the binary i/e forms are just extremes and set up as such just to explicitly define them as a baseline; but realistically people are liable to use blends of the traits, since we all have to survive and need to have all those sorts of traits. There just tends to be differences from individual to individual as to how much they enjoy/develop a particular aspect of a broad function. (For example, I had issues with using my rationality in a directive manner; the Ti informative aspect was what I strongly preferred, whereas Te is much more directive, and I managed to avoid having to use T directively for a long time.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

INTJs can also be narrow-lived, step-counting trolls whose in-born intelligence is rivaled only by their bigotry and defensive, hasty conclusions.
    Yes.

I remember having similar thoughts about you when we had a discussion about the existence or non-existence of God.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1148910

True, maybe it will get moved? It seemed like this was a fitting enough area of the forum, but I can see how that's debatable.
    I don't think this is an unfitting place at all really.

Anyway this is something that's always made me wonder about the descriptions. From the way they're described, IN_Js should have no use for the acquisition of knowledge since everything will well up magically from some poorly-described form of "intuition", but this is pretty clearly not the case.
    I think the descriptions of types tend only to be useful from an elementary perspective -- beyond that, it's all about the functions.

I think a better explanation is that Ni and Se are two sides of the same coin, and work in conjunction with one another. The data that has been able to be concretely taken in via Se serves as a nutrient for which Ni can go on making its intuitive abstractions.

Frankly, and I've felt this for a long time, and the results you posted in my "Cognitive Function Results - INTJs" thread (LINK) recently seemed to confirm this: I think you're either an INTP or a particularly abnormally (not meant in a pejorative sense) developed INTJ.