User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Oh goodness, Red Herring, thank you so much for that charming addition to the thread.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How come NFs always interpret a good debate as so much hand-waving and slap-fighting? Iron sharpens iron. We refine our thinking and ideas through discussion. It's a constructive activity.
    Ahh, because it sounds like an interesting topic to the NF until she discovers it's an INTJ and an INTP refining minor logical detail. N's captivation is lessened by F's gigantic yawn. She shall leave the INTs to their debate and return later to benefit from the resulting conclusions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Ahh, because it sounds like an interesting topic to the NF until she discovers it's an INTJ and an INTP refining minor logical detail. N's captivation is lessened by F's gigantic yawn. She shall leave the INTs to their debate and return later to benefit from the resulting conclusions.
    Oh, I actually do find the topic at hand interesting. I am just doubtful of the participant's noble motivation at engaging in it

So I prefer to do some further research and thinking on my own instead.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How come NFs always interpret a good debate as so much hand-waving and slap-fighting? Iron sharpens iron. We refine our thinking and ideas through discussion. It's a constructive activity.
    True.

I guess NFPs want us to write 20 lines describing how we feel about it.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Oh, I actually do find the topic at hand interesting. I am just doubtful of the participant's boble motivation at engaging in it

Inductive reasoning - For example, a salesperson, by observing a potential customer’s reaction to the sales presentation, may induce what the customer’s needs and personality are and what should be said to obtain the sale. - Edumacated guess
    Abductive reasoning - process of using evidence to reach a wider conclusion, as in inference to the best explanation - Edumacated Guess
    Deductive reasoning - Observance of an event occurring on a repeated basis that leads one to believe that a certain probability is attached to the occurrence of that event - Probability (no real guess)
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Oh, I actually do find the topic at hand interesting. I am just doubtful of the participant's boble motivation at engaging in it

Well, I would be lying if I denied that my decision to contribute such an emoticon was not influenced by the identities of the participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy
    I guess NFPs want us to write 20 lines describing how we feel about it.
    No thank you, you are more than welcome to handle the logic. I can provide more than 20 lines if they are requested.

Incidentally it would seem that an INTP would have a better hold on both deductive reasoning given Ti and inductive reasoning given Ne, versus INTJ's proficiency in inductive reasoning. But there is the minor issue of production on INTP's part, as the OP addressed. Without tangible results, even the most brilliant ideas slip away into the aether.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Inductive reasoning - For example, a salesperson, by observing a potential customer’s reaction to the sales presentation, may induce what the customer’s needs and personality are and what should be said to obtain the sale. - Edumacated guess
    Abductive reasoning - process of using evidence to reach a wider conclusion, as in inference to the best explanation - Edumacated Guess
    Deductive reasoning - Observance of an event occurring on a repeated basis that leads one to believe that a certain probability is attached to the occurrence of that event - Probability (no real guess)
    I knew that much. But thanks for the gesture.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    STP

Np, figured I would spell it out for everyone, I honestly could care less what the type of reasoning...if its wrong its wrong no matter whether you used induction, conduction, UFO abduction
    Im out, its been fun

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

He's actually wrong.

What he says is deduction is not deduction.

It's induction, abduction, or both, depending on your take.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Incidentally it would seem that an INTP would have a better hold on both deductive reasoning given Ti and inductive reasoning given Ne, versus INTJ's proficiency in inductive reasoning. But there is the minor issue of production on INTP's part, as the OP addressed. Without tangible results, even the most brilliant ideas slip away into the aether.

The above makes no sense.

My explanation above gives a proper account of it:

My inductive/adbuctive leap, which I have stated many times on here over the last several years, is that NTJ thinking is more suited to inductive/abductive reasoning, while NTP thinking is more suited to deductive reasoning. I also believe iNtuition seems to be more related to inductive/abductive reasoning, while Thinking seems to be more related to deductive reasoning -- hence, the more robust iNtuition of NTJs (perhaps ENTPs, with extroverted intuition in the dominant, could be considered second to INTJs, but greater than ENTJs, in this regard) leads them to be better at induction/abduction, while the more robust Thinking of NTPs (perhaps ENTJs, with extroverted thinking in the dominant, could be considered second to INTP, but greater than ENTPs, in this regard) leads them to be better at deduction.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    He's actually wrong.

What he says is deduction is not deduction.

OK...deductive reasoning
    1.All men are mortal
    2.Socrates is a man
    3.Therefore, Socrates is mortal

Prove ALL Men are mortal...its probability
    Im out, its been fun